Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 08:42 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Marlow and Lisa: based on some of the things you guys have liked in the past, I think you guys would like the book, The Book of Lost Things. I finished it a couple of days ago. It's a fairytale about fairytales and growing up, but geared towards adults although teens would probably also like it. It's not an immature book. https://www.amazon.com/Book-Lost-Thi...of+lost+things
Thank you! On the list it goes.

Can I tell you how much I love The Girls? I'm so glad I listened to those of you who recommended it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 09:43 AM

75 posts, read 43,772 times
Just finished A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E.Schwab and will be starting the second book in this series: A Gathering of Shadows.

Also finished in one sitting last night--Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar

Old 06-07-2017, 11:24 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
That one has been on my to-read list for a while. How are you liking it?

I am liking this book a lot. What an interesting man. I also found that there are 2 movies about him. (not sure if this is in any of the following posts)

Bonhoeffer (2003) - IMDb

Bonhoeffer: Agent of Grace (2000) - IMDb

Old 06-07-2017, 02:15 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I finished An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination by Elizabeth McCracken, which was lovely. A very sad, very happy, and occasionally laugh-out-loud funny memoir by a woman whose first child was stillborn. She delivered a healthy baby almost exactly a year later. Well worth reading.
I just finished this one as well and share your sentiments. Difficult and sad things happen in our lives and it is inspiring to me that people can cope with such resilience and grace - not to mention a healthy dose of humor and a generous pinch of snark.

Loved this and am on the hunt for Elizabeth McCracken's short stories.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:28 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,927,870 times
Just finished the Rose Gardner Mysteries I found this on a whim as a free amazon book. I've been hooked ever since.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I am still pushing through the ginormous "Kristen Lavrensdatter." It is SO good that I can't bring myself to skim any of it, or speed read or whatever you want to call it. The author writes such gorgeous pictures with her words - it makes me feel like I'm in medieval Norway myself. I love it - definitely a great story line.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:39 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,352 times
I'm nearly half way through Jhumpa Lahiri's "Interpreter of Maladies". It is a good book but I guess I'm not the type for short stories.

Same goes with "Machine of Death" (by Ryan North and others) which is also a collection of short stories. However, this subject makes me think about what we would really do if there was a machine telling you how you would die. Not in an exact words but rather like "accident" which could mean you fall down stairs and break your neck or you could die in a plane crash. Would it make us live differently? Would it make us choose different ways for ourselves and the people around us. Quite interesting subject...

Have a great weekend, y'all!

Old 06-09-2017, 02:48 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee can only be taken in small bites in order that the sadness doesn't overwhelm my day.

Fortunately, my favorite author, Charlie Carillo, released a new book on Wednesday and I jumped right on it. Despite my resolve to draw out the pleasure by reading it s l o w l y, I blazed through it in less than a day. I have every one of his books and there isn't a disappoint among them. Charlie takes his time and his characters are so finely drawn that I know these people. I really do.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:57 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Wonder By R.J. Palacio

From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon

The Letter by Kathryn Hughes

All three were very good but none were exceptional.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:22 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
I just started The Wonder (not to be confused with Wonder which Ketabcha mentioned above) by Emma Donoghue. So far (page 16), so good! It takes place in Ireland in maybe the late 1800s so is a complete departure from Donoghue's last book, Room.

Looking forward to some good reading time this weekend so I'll keep you posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books