Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 08:22 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am still pushing through the ginormous "Kristen Lavrensdatter." It is SO good that I can't bring myself to skim any of it, or speed read or whatever you want to call it. The author writes such gorgeous pictures with her words - it makes me feel like I'm in medieval Norway myself. I love it - definitely a great story line.
Oh! I've wanted to read this series since college but somehow always miss getting a copy. Thanks for the reminder!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 12:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Oh! I've wanted to read this series since college but somehow always miss getting a copy. Thanks for the reminder!
Let me know if you like it. I am about 40 percent through it and love it. Definitely the best book I've read so far this year.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:20 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,370 times
Nine Inches by Tom Perotta
It's a collection of short stories and I am about halfway through. He's the author of The Leftovers and Little Children, as well.

I am also reading, "Brief Lives of the British Monarchy." I started off gung ho, but now I'm losing steam. It's an interesting book, no doubt, but it's starting to feel like classroom reading to me.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:22 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Nine Inches by Tom Perotta
It's a collection of short stories and I am about halfway through. He's the author of The Leftovers and Little Children, as well.

I am also reading, "Brief Lives of the British Monarchy." I started off gung ho, but now I'm losing steam. It's an interesting book, no doubt, but it's starting to feel like classroom reading to me.
Tom Perrotta is one of my favorite authors and I've read all of his books, but one. His latest, Mrs. Fletcher will be released in August.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:39 AM

473 posts, read 307,306 times
I tried to read call of the jungle yesterday but I cried so much that I had to stop reading it.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:44 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerDarling View Post
I tried to read call of the jungle yesterday but I cried so much that I had to stop reading it.

Is it that sad ? I wont be able to read it then if it involves animals and maybe how bad they are treated? goodness I don't like books like that .

Old 06-10-2017, 10:45 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I finally checked the book out from my library "The beauty queen of Jerusalem " I hope it is as good as I have heard .

Old 06-10-2017, 10:54 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Been sick so reading more. I guess I should amend my opinion of Philippa G's Three Queen's...... after doing a little research it appears that Margaret Tudor probably was that much of twit.....

Almost done with Dave Eggars The Circle. I like the concept of the story line, but didn't think it was executed well.

Azazel by Asimov. Cute, but as the stories are so similar I'm getting a little bored towards the end.

Man Called Ov: keeps getting pushed back in lieu of other books, but I am half way through.

Foundation by Asimov: Classic that I have never read

The Apartment, Danielle Steele: Needed something light and fluffy and so far I have been entertained

Children of Dune, F. Herbert (audio book): Loved Dune and God Emperor, always had trouble getting through the other books so I am trying this as an audio.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-10-2017, 10:57 AM

473 posts, read 307,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Is it that sad ? I wont be able to read it then if it involves animals and maybe how bad they are treated? goodness I don't like books like that .
The book includes pictures of butchered animals and people are mean to each other and they kill and get killed and her childhood friend does not even say good bye to her It is horrible to think that is real life for some people still today... I had to peek it for my essay...

Old 06-10-2017, 11:20 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Tom Perrotta is one of my favorite authors and I've read all of his books, but one. His latest, Mrs. Fletcher will be released in August.
I'm a fan of his, as well. He's got a different take on things. I can never predict where he's going with a story, which I love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books