Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 07:49 AM

87,803 posts, read 83,516,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
There is also a video/documentary about the Kabul Beauty School. It's quite good.

I have Follett's "Lie Down with Lions." I've read it twice. I have more than one book about Ahmed Shah Massoud.

There is an older book titled "Caravans" by James Michener that is good and it, too, is about Afghanistan. One of my personal favorites is "A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush" by Eric Newby which is a true story and it is informative and absolutely hysterical. It was written in 1958. Newby and a friend (both British) decided to walk across Afghanistan to go mountain climbing in the Hindu Kush (mountain range). They prepare by climbing a hill in Wales. OMG! The Hindu Kush is unbelievably high. A hill in Wales ain't gonna' cut it. The characters they meet along the way are such interesting fellows. The culture is explained and it's a great trip of a book.

However, my personal favorite is "An Unexpected Light" by Jason Elliot. It is perhaps the lovliest book I have ever read. It's pure joy to read and it is also a true story. I cry when I read this book.....not out of sadness but out of the total delight in reading such a masterpiece. I found it in the travel section of a book store in December 2001. I do not consider it to be a travel book. In my mind it is a book about the love one man has for a country that is far from his home. It's exciting, heart-breaking and gorgeous.
Whoa, you've just made my reading list longer. I didn't realize that Michener had written a book about Afghanistan. The other two sound wonderful also. I am going to look up "An Unexpected Light." If it moves you so that you would express it that way, I think I want to read that one first.

I just moved to a new town, and I have a very long commute by train to work, which is working out well for my reading time. Plus, winter is nearly upon us and it's so damn dark--escaping into the pages is my favorite antidote for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 01:27 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,419,093 times
Just got Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. Not sure if this is the worst time of the year to do reading because of all the prep and stuff going on, or the best time because of same. Housecleaning, top-to-bottom reorganizing, shopping, houseguests, cooking, more cleaning, and I have to do prep for some big Spring landscaping of the front yard... Maybe I should just relax by catching up on years of Marvel comics titles... Oh, but that's more clutter...

Old 12-06-2009, 09:42 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,112,121 times
Years ago I tried to read Foucault's Pendulum, but couldn't get into it...I blamed it on the translation.

Currently I am reading (still) Kristin Lavransdatter. Set in 13th century Noryway, a young girl defies her family by falling in love with someone other than her betrothed. Reminds me of Anna Karenina (though nowhere near Tolstoy's writing) of the wayward woman in a traditional society, ruining her life for love. Anyway, it is well over 1000 pages, and I'm about 1/2 through.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:33 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,596,438 times
I am reading john grisham's Ford county, and really don't like it. think I will just stop...and stopping before finishing is always a tough choice for me.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:06 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,905,704 times
I'm reading "The Elegance Of The Hedgehog" by Muriel Barbery.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,403 times
Default Best book I've read in years

I'm just finishing Confession by Lee Gowan, and I must say this is the best book I've read in a long, long time. Has anyone here had the pleasure of reading this gem? If not...

Old 12-08-2009, 05:23 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,954,871 times
D is for Deadbeat "Sue Grafton series"

Old 12-08-2009, 11:19 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,563,085 times
I finally had some time to read! Just finished "Scat" by Carl Hiaasen. I'm looking for some style similar to Marshall Karp.

Now I'll try to finish "Last known victim" by Erica Spindler (3rd try. I don't know why but if I have a new book, this goes to the "read later" list... :S)

Old 12-08-2009, 11:47 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,569,663 times
Ack! I just started Dead Until Dark, the first Sookie Stackhouse vampire novel by Charlaine Harris. I may be hooked. Stayed up waaay too late reading it.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:10 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,341,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Just got Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. Not sure if this is the worst time of the year to do reading because of all the prep and stuff going on, or the best time because of same. Housecleaning, top-to-bottom reorganizing, shopping, houseguests, cooking, more cleaning, and I have to do prep for some big Spring landscaping of the front yard... Maybe I should just relax by catching up on years of Marvel comics titles... Oh, but that's more clutter...
Please let us know how you feel about it. I wasn't able to finish it, and I don't think I know anyone who has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books