Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 12:26 PM

175 posts, read 201,673 times

Advertisements

You Will Know Me by Meghan Abbott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 03:31 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Summer of Night by Dan Simmons.

Very Stephen King-ish and it's scaring me big time. I love it.

Next up will be The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. It, too, will scare me big time but for totally different reasons.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:56 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Mark Twain: An Illustrated Biography

Old 07-06-2017, 08:40 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I finished Ron Rash's "the cove" and gave it three of five stars. It was sweet and it was tragic, and reminded me that there are no real happy or unhappy endings because the story never really ends. Perhaps more than the metaphor of life as a river, it is a hike -- and the mountains are the ignorance of the characters we encounter.

Now I am onto reading a book my sister gave me for my birthday: "The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness," by Sy Montgomery. Because she loved it so much, she gave me her personal copy, and I have to admit I was a little afraid of not liking it! No worries, I just "met" the first octopus, Athena, and if the others are like her I think this short work will be charming as well as informative.

Happy reading!

Old 07-07-2017, 08:03 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I finished Ron Rash's "the cove" and gave it three of five stars. It was sweet and it was tragic, and reminded me that there are no real happy or unhappy endings because the story never really ends. Perhaps more than the metaphor of life as a river, it is a hike -- and the mountains are the ignorance of the characters we encounter.

Now I am onto reading a book my sister gave me for my birthday: "The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness," by Sy Montgomery. Because she loved it so much, she gave me her personal copy, and I have to admit I was a little afraid of not liking it! No worries, I just "met" the first octopus, Athena, and if the others are like her I think this short work will be charming as well as informative.

Happy reading!
I read the octopus book too and loved it! I had no idea they were so smart and inventive.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:46 AM

252 posts, read 124,001 times
About done with Tea Party on Safari: The hunt for American RINO. Its about taking down Senator Lugar in Indiana.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:54 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
I've been choosing off the FREE book racks lately and found this one: Small Island by Andrea Levy
Never saw the Masterpiece Classic video of the novel but it's pretty good. It's about the war effort (WWII) made by Jamaicans to serve and protect Great Britain/the Mother Country. Wow. Levy was "born in England to Jamaican parents" and she presents a rich palette of many cultures.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:59 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
I was reading a series by a FL author set in the Gulf curve of the Panhandle...she recommended another Florida author--Wayne Stinnett--and I have started reading his Jesse MacDermitt series--more action-oriented than the usual mysteries I like to read but it is interesting reading about the boat culture in Key West area...
The books center on a retired Marine Sgt (a sniper) who buys a boat and an personal/tiny island in the Keys and becomes a charter/fishing captain...but he is like a magnet for danger...joins a covert Homeland Security Team and dangerous missions against various enemies...
He even take President Bush fishing...

Old 07-08-2017, 05:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Persuasion does require concentration to get through the sentence structure, but the story itself is easy to understand and timeless. Austen's observations of human nature are as true today as they were when she wrote it. That's what makes it a classic, I suppose.

I read TBoSLR a long time ago and loved it. Might have to look for a copy.
Austin is such an internal writer that she is too difficult for many readers---
They want novels where they really just "watch" the writer's description...
With Austin, you have to THINK about what is going on with those characters---
One of the best explanations of her style I read concerned the scene when Elizabeth and Darcy meet at Pemberly when she is there with her aunt and uncle, touring the house...after they have both singed themselves trying to protect those they love from a bad match (Elizabeth's sister and Darcy's friend Bingley)...
The underlying conversation they have plays out like a point-counterpoint musical piece...

Old 07-08-2017, 06:24 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I've been choosing off the FREE book racks lately and found this one: Small Island by Andrea Levy
Never saw the Masterpiece Classic video of the novel but it's pretty good. It's about the war effort (WWII) made by Jamaicans to serve and protect Great Britain/the Mother Country. Wow. Levy was "born in England to Jamaican parents" and she presents a rich palette of many cultures.
I read The Long Song by her a few months ago and it was good. It was about a woman who was a slave in Jamaica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books