Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2017, 11:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Sorry you didn't like it. I have true life real estate story When Mike and I first put the NC farm up for sale we had a church call that was interested in it for some kind of youth camp. OK so that sounds nice right? So they came to see the property which was 112 acres. They came in two white church vans and unloaded everyone. They asked if they could walk around the property. We told them yes. A couple of hours later we looked out over the fields and saw them all sitting on their blankets having a nice picnic. We never heard from them again. I wonder how many times they intruded on other private properties for a picnic
OMG! Hilarious!!!

They don't know what "closing" means either... or even, um, "opening" (bid/offer).

Quote:
I just finished The Unseen World by Liz Moore and have not rated it because like you even with all the rave reviews I just don't agree. Don't get me wrong I really liked it but just didn't love it. Oh well.
I tried that book. I think I read a dozen pages of it.

Quote:
I started Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan which I won and am supposed to have finished for tomorrow's discussion. I'm not going to make it. It is about a young Italian man set during WWII. I think he becomes a leader to help Jews escape over the Alps. So far I like the characters and it shows promise. Sadly I have read so many stories set during WWII that I have gotten a little burned out. Not to make light of any of it of course.

This one does have very good reviews and I think I will agree...we'll see
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-a-scarlet-sky
Never mind that I'm Jewish and have a direct line to the atrocities. Put that aside. There is such a glut of "saving the Jews" WWII books, it's no wonder that anyone is tired of them. It's a shame, really, because -- in reference to the Holocaust in particular -- it's been ingrained in us, from childhood, to "Never Forget." But it feels like there are just too many books about it and it becomes easy to forget that it's not fiction. I'm not sure that I'm making sense here -- and I'm not saying that the books are belittling the horror, or making it feel any less disgusting -- but it just feels like too much of anything makes it less remarkable, for lack of a better word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 12:01 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
Finished The Grapes of Wrath today and now I'm on Slaughterhouse-Five

I'm only about a chapter in a half in and I'm already in love with Vonnegut.
Awesome reads. I need to read them again. Steinbeck is my favorite American author. After reading some of Vonnegut's read his Sun, Moon, Star. My favorite. It is a different telling of the nativity story.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:04 PM

603 posts, read 445,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Awesome reads. I need to read them again. Steinbeck is my favorite American author. After reading some of Vonnegut's read his Sun, Moon, Star. My favorite. It is a different telling of the nativity story.

Me too! Love East of Eden.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:21 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIL9 View Post
Me too! Love East of Eden.
Oh, yes! Truthfully, I have only been reading professional books lately - education, but last night I took out the Kindle. What a pleasure to read for enjoyment. Not that I am not enjoying the two research books as they are well written. I have been an avid reader all my life but recently have been distracted by my home and clearly the internet. My eyes tire easily.

I am reading Mark Gimenez's Con Law. (I'm behind as he has a newer book.) I really enjoy this writer and it is a great reintroduction to reading for me.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:23 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Sorry you didn't like it. I have true life real estate story When Mike and I first put the NC farm up for sale we had a church call that was interested in it for some kind of youth camp. OK so that sounds nice right? So they came to see the property which was 112 acres. They came in two white church vans and unloaded everyone. They asked if they could walk around the property. We told them yes. A couple of hours later we looked out over the fields and saw them all sitting on their blankets having a nice picnic. We never heard from them again. I wonder how many times they intruded on other private properties for a picnic

I just finished The Unseen World by Liz Moore and have not rated it because like you even with all the rave reviews I just don't agree. Don't get me wrong I really liked it but just didn't love it. Oh well.

I started Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan which I won and am supposed to have finished for tomorrow's discussion. I'm not going to make it. It is about a young Italian man set during WWII. I think he becomes a leader to help Jews escape over the Alps. So far I like the characters and it shows promise. Sadly I have read so many stories set during WWII that I have gotten a little burned out. Not to make light of any of it of course.

This one does have very good reviews and I think I will agree...we'll see
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-a-scarlet-sky
Snort. Sounds like a Russian immigrant family we befriended and then they showed up every single Sunday, complete with a portable BBQ and their then 11 children (they've had more since) and their own hamburgers and sausages and stayed from noon to midnight. Seriously. No exaggeration. They said how nice it was for them to have a place to go with so many children. I think they thought this farm was a park.

Eventually I managed to back our way out of the relationship, which is a pity, but I just didn't want visitors every single week for such a long time. They are trying to wiggle back in now that my husband is sick because they "care" but I am afraid of what it could lead to.

I generally avoid Holocaust/second world war books as I've read too many in the past.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
Jessica Knoll : "Luckiest Girl Alive" Only made into the second chapter. Gave up.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:02 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Well, contrary to the rave reviews of The Hate U Give, I wasn't loving it. I gave up at about 60%. There were too many "teaching moments" in the dialogue -- due to its being a YA book, I suppose -- and I was tired of it. What they could have taught (or, ideally, just left out completely, since it wasn't necessary and this is the point where I decided to give up) was the house-buying process: At one point, the family is having lunch in the empty living room of a house they "will close on in the next couple of weeks." (That was said as if the kids know what "close on" means.) How did they get into the house that's not theirs, for which the mortgage hasn't even been finalized? And to have lunch there? No. Anyway, that's a small aside -- I was mostly just tired of the whole thing.
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. I find I have to be a little more forgiving of YA in terms of some issues that would bother me more in an adult novel (such as having lunch in a house that isn't yet your's.) I just loved the racial issues it raised and it is so important to show a strong black family in today's world.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:29 AM

443 posts, read 437,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Jessica Knoll : "Luckiest Girl Alive" Only made into the second chapter. Gave up.

I've read it. You're not missing much.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

Never mind that I'm Jewish and have a direct line to the atrocities. Put that aside. There is such a glut of "saving the Jews" WWII books, it's no wonder that anyone is tired of them. It's a shame, really, because -- in reference to the Holocaust in particular -- it's been ingrained in us, from childhood, to "Never Forget." But it feels like there are just too many books about it and it becomes easy to forget that it's not fiction. I'm not sure that I'm making sense here -- and I'm not saying that the books are belittling the horror, or making it feel any less disgusting -- but it just feels like too much of anything makes it less remarkable, for lack of a better word.
I got it I am enjoying this book though and it is based on real people. I just finished reading how he took a group over the mountains in the snow. They took shelter in a hut and there was an avalanche over the top of them. They had to dig out. This is the first time I have read a story set in this type of geography and climate. Hacking at ice to make steps in a mountain is not my kind of way to go but yes if I had to than I would do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Snort. Sounds like a Russian immigrant family we befriended and then they showed up every single Sunday, complete with a portable BBQ and their then 11 children (they've had more since) and their own hamburgers and sausages and stayed from noon to midnight. Seriously. No exaggeration. They said how nice it was for them to have a place to go with so many children. I think they thought this farm was a park.

Eventually I managed to back our way out of the relationship, which is a pity, but I just didn't want visitors every single week for such a long time. They are trying to wiggle back in now that my husband is sick because they "care" but I am afraid of what it could lead to.
Oh my, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. I find I have to be a little more forgiving of YA in terms of some issues that would bother me more in an adult novel (such as having lunch in a house that isn't yet your's.) I just loved the racial issues it raised and it is so important to show a strong black family in today's world.
I imagine I will really like it I should be getting it soon.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:35 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I read it and thought it was awful!

I was able to unexpectedly read a copy of The Breakdown by BA Paris. I enjoyed it and thought the characters were interesting, though I was not satisfied with the ending. I concocted a better (in my opinion) twist to the story and was disappointed when the author went in what I thought was the more predictable route.

However, it made for a quick, lazy afternoon read, and it is a good story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books