Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-13-2017, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Reputation: 28903

Advertisements

I'm reading The Reason You're Alive. I've never read a book by Matthew Quick, even though there are only two degrees of separation between us. When I lived in Massachusetts, a friend of mine there was friendly with him when he lived there too, and she tried to convince me that his book -- the Silver Linings one, whatever it's called, the only one he had published at the time -- was terrific. I smiled. His stories just aren't my thing, so I wasn't sure that I was going to try this new one of his. I'm so glad that I did.

The main character (David) -- he's narrating the book -- is so politically incorrect. So very, very, VERY politically incorrect. Like, really, if you're sensitive to ethnic slurs, cursing, more ethnic slurs, other slurs (non-ethnic), more cursing, etc, etc, etc., this book will likely aggravate you. Not that I condone ethnic slurring, but it's true to the character and, in this context, I'm laughing. The "voice" that Quick is using for David is funny and just absolutely perfect. (Notice that I didn't say anything about condoning cursing. I do approve of cursing. Wholeheartedly. )

I'm 28% in and still don't know anything about Clayton Fire Bear but I'm so enjoying the well-written ride.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 08-13-2017 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2017, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm reading The Reason You're Alive. I've never read a book by Matthew Quick, even though there are only two degrees of separation between us. When I lived in Massachusetts, a friend of mine there was friendly with him when he lived there too, and she tried to convince me that his book -- the Silver Linings one, whatever it's called, the only one he had published at the time -- was terrific. I smiled. His stories just aren't my thing, so I wasn't sure that I was going to try this new one of his. I'm so glad that I did.

The main character (David) -- he's narrating the book -- is so politically incorrect. So very, very, VERY politically incorrect. Like, really, if you're sensitive to ethnic slurs, cursing, more ethnic slurs, other slurs (non-ethnic), more cursing, etc, etc, etc., this book will likely aggravate you. Not that I condone ethnic slurring, but it's true to the character and, in this context, I'm laughing. The "voice" that Quick is using for David is funny and just absolutely perfect. (Notice that I didn't say anything about condoning cursing. I do approve of cursing. Wholeheartedly. )

I'm 28% in and still don't know anything about Clayton Fire Bear but I'm so enjoying the well-written ride.
Archie Bunker!

I read a really good review of it in the local paper. It was intriguing but I haven't made the leap. I started a book by Quick once and I remember nothing more about it, so I guess it didn't do enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2017, 04:41 PM
 
Location: East Coast
4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Reputation: 6482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
For those who like The Nix also try Christodora by Tim Murphy. I didn't love it at first with all the time jumping but it ended up as one of my favorites this year. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true
Thanks for the recommendation. I just saw that the Harvard Bookstore recommended this one from their remainder list, so it's on sale for a good price. I may have to pick it up (even though I'm trying to not buy books for a while.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2017, 05:06 PM
 
Location: In the Redwoods
30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Reputation: 23706
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I'm currently reading the two lauras by sara taylor it is for a review so I will let you all know .
As a "Laura" myself, I must read that! I ordered a copy for my library, so will snag one when it arrives.

And for those who wanted me to report back, "The Golden Son" by Shilpi Somaya Gowda was excellent - just like her other book, "The Secret Daughter." Highly recommended, especially if you enjoy cross-cultural books (specifically Indian vs American culture). Now I'm starting "Before the Fall" by Noah Hawley, while also attempting to finish Ray Bradbury's "Now and Forever." Been working on the latter for a couple of months now, since I had to finish book club books in the meantime.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-13-2017 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2017, 05:12 PM
 
Location: In the Redwoods
30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Reputation: 23706
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm reading The Reason You're Alive. I've never read a book by Matthew Quick, even though there are only two degrees of separation between us. When I lived in Massachusetts, a friend of mine there was friendly with him when he lived there too, and she tried to convince me that his book -- the Silver Linings one, whatever it's called, the only one he had published at the time -- was terrific. I smiled. His stories just aren't my thing, so I wasn't sure that I was going to try this new one of his. I'm so glad that I did.
If you like Matthew Quick, try his YA book "Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock." I read that for my "teen pick of the month" (as a teen librarian), and it was SOOOO good. Seriously riveting, to where I probably read it in only 2-3 sittings. To give you an idea of what you're getting into, here's the quoted opening from Amazon:

In addition to the P-38 (gun), there are four gifts, one for each of my friends. I want to say good-bye to them properly. I want to give them each something to remember me by. To let them know I really cared about them and I'm sorry I couldn't be more than I was--that I couldn't stick around--and that what's going to happen today isn't their fault.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-13-2017 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2017, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If you like Matthew Quick, try his YA book "Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock." I read that for my "teen pick of the month" (as a teen librarian), and it was SOOOO good. Seriously riveting, to where I probably read it in only 2-3 sittings. To give you an idea of what you're getting into, here's the quoted opening from Amazon:

In addition to the P-38 (gun), there are four gifts, one for each of my friends. I want to say good-bye to them properly. I want to give them each something to remember me by. To let them know I really cared about them and I'm sorry I couldn't be more than I was--that I couldn't stick around--and that what's going to happen today isn't their fault.
Hi Gizmo! I remember that you're a librarian -- my favorite type of person.

I don't like Matthew Quick (his other books are just not my type of stories), I haven't liked any YA since The Book Thief and The Fault in Our Stars, but this book -- this The Reason You're Alive is freakin' fabulous. (I'd swear like the main character but it would just ****** look like ****. Kidding. I put the asterisks in myself. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2017, 06:21 PM
 
Location: In the Redwoods
30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Reputation: 23706
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hi Gizmo! I remember that you're a librarian -- my favorite type of person.
Haha... thanks, we try!

Quote:
I don't like Matthew Quick (his other books are just not my type of stories), I haven't liked any YA since The Book Thief and The Fault in Our Stars, but this book -- this The Reason You're Alive is freakin' fabulous. (I'd swear like the main character but it would just ****** look like ****. Kidding. I put the asterisks in myself. )
Give it (the one I recommended) a chance - trust me, it's a page-turner! I read YA books regularly because of work, and this is the best one I've read in YEARS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2017, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Haha... thanks, we try!



Give it (the one I recommended) a chance - trust me, it's a page-turner! I read YA books regularly because of work, and this is the best one I've read in YEARS.
Y'know, even just the name of the book sounded familiar to me, so I did a search on this forum. Sure enough... check this out:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/46396171-post18146.html

I'll make sure to get a paper copy from the library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 05:31 AM
 
Location: In my own personal Twilight zone
13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Reputation: 30253
Last week I needed to stay at home with a sick DS for a few days. He had a bad cold and we needed to get him through it because school started last Thursday.

Anyhow, he's better again and back to school and I had a little more time to read, so I finished "The Storyteller" by Jodi Picoult. She could have left the whole upyor / vampire story out of the book. Everything else was good. There were enough WWII information and details to make it credible but not a dry historical fact book.

Meanwhile I started "All our wrong todays" by Elan Mastai. His writing style is very confusing for me. Maybe it's because English is not my mother tongue but with all the technicalities and facts about time travel I'm a bit at a loss - and I've only made it to page 17 so far. Since there are a few people people who told me to hang in there, I will do so.

I also began reading "The Drawing of the Three" by Stephen King. I didn't like the first volume of The Dark Tower series but here also people "made me" read it. So far it's better than the first book...

Have a great week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Reputation: 3809
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm reading The Reason You're Alive. I've never read a book by Matthew Quick, even though there are only two degrees of separation between us. When I lived in Massachusetts, a friend of mine there was friendly with him when he lived there too, and she tried to convince me that his book -- the Silver Linings one, whatever it's called, the only one he had published at the time -- was terrific. I smiled. His stories just aren't my thing, so I wasn't sure that I was going to try this new one of his. I'm so glad that I did.

The main character (David) -- he's narrating the book -- is so politically incorrect. So very, very, VERY politically incorrect. Like, really, if you're sensitive to ethnic slurs, cursing, more ethnic slurs, other slurs (non-ethnic), more cursing, etc, etc, etc., this book will likely aggravate you. Not that I condone ethnic slurring, but it's true to the character and, in this context, I'm laughing. The "voice" that Quick is using for David is funny and just absolutely perfect. (Notice that I didn't say anything about condoning cursing. I do approve of cursing. Wholeheartedly. )

I'm 28% in and still don't know anything about Clayton Fire Bear but I'm so enjoying the well-written ride.
I've read and enjoyed The Good Luck of Right Now and Forgive Me Leonard Peacock by Quick. I've got The Reason You're Alive on hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top