Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 08:31 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm so glad you braved up and read it! I loved that book - I tend to love sad books in general, but this one felt different and took me a while to shake off. Actually, I didn't shake it off, I just made space for it.
Same here about sad books. I guess that goes hand in hand with my preference for quiet and "real life" novels (i.e. stories that *could* happen in real life) because life is often quiet and can sometimes be sad.

If you haven't already read it, read this. It's still $1.99 on Amazon and it's gorgeous. The Bright Hour by Nina Riggs. https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Hour-M...rds=nina+riggs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 07:05 AM

556 posts, read 788,229 times
Finished with courtroom dramas for now and am delving into science fiction. I just finished Nick Webb “The Legacy Fleet Series” “Constitution” which was set in the 27th century with lots of technological advancement but still a lot of the same political crap, fighting with Russia . Anyway starting the 2nd book in the series “Warrior” with a new space battleship.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:55 AM

829 posts, read 411,263 times
Finished "Anything is Possible" by Elizabeth Strout https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

Loved the book. The adult Lucy Barton of "My Name is Lucy Barton" returns to visit her siblings after seventeen years of absence.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:32 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,469 times
The Earl, by Cecelia Holland. Very good.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:30 PM

My "friend" Paul -- Paul Kalanithi, who wrote When Breath Becomes Air, which I wish had been longer so that I could have "known" Paul for longer -- wrote about a Yale professor of his, Sherwin Nuland (although he called him something other than Sherwin -- I don't remember what), who had written some books, including How We Die.

Down the Amazon rabbit hole I went.

I had no interest in reading How We Die, really, but I got another of his books: Lost in America: A Journey with My Father, which I'll begin later.

(That, of course -- because the Amazon rabbit hole is deep -- led me to Call It Sleep by Henry Roth, which I'll save for much later. It was named one of Time’s 100 best American novels of the twentieth century.)

ETA: I also ordered -- old school! in paper! -- The Tennis Partner by Abraham Verghese. I believe it was Pinetreelover who'd recommended it many years ago. I bought it when I was living in Connecticut. Or maybe when I was living in Massachusetts. I don't remember which. I do remember owning it, though, and I also remember that I never did read it. And I don't know where it is now -- certainly not with me here in Canada. But it will be soon, since it shipped to me today, to arrive by the end of the month.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
ETA: I also ordered -- old school! in paper! -- The Tennis Partner by Abraham Verghese. I believe it was Pinetreelover who'd recommended it many years ago. I bought it when I was living in Connecticut. Or maybe when I was living in Massachusetts. I don't remember which. I do remember owning it, though, and I also remember that I never did read it. And I don't know where it is now -- certainly not with me here in Canada. But it will be soon, since it shipped to me today, to arrive by the end of the month.

Wow - you have a great memory! It was me who recommended The Tennis Partner. It was my introduction to Abe Verghese which therefore was my indirection introduction to Paul Kalanithi.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Wow - you have a great memory! It was me who recommended The Tennis Partner. It was my introduction to Abe Verghese which therefore was my indirection introduction to Paul Kalanithi.
I remember the important stuff. Well, some of it. Sometimes I don't remember my age, but I think that's denial.

Oh, I already bailed on Lost in America by Sherwin Nuland. (Shep! That's what Paul -- and his family -- called him.) Nuland might have been an outstanding surgeon, but a writer he's not. It was so dense and so... just not good. He could have used some lessons from his old student, Paul Kalanithi.

Even though I'm very much into memoir these days (fiction just isn't wooing me recently), I'm going to start Stay With Me by Ayobami Adebayo before I go to sleep.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:51 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
The Positive Power of Jesus Christ
Dr. Norman Vincent Peale

The next book to read is
The Power of Positive Thinking

After that I don't know yet

Old 09-20-2017, 05:12 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
I couldn't resist any longer. Even though my TR pile on my shelf is not that much smaller than a few weeks ago I've ordered a few used books for very good prices. So now I'm waiting for:

Annihilation - Jeff Vandermeer > hope to receive and start it today!

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Seth Graham Smith > don't ask me why but it sounded absurd so I had to have it.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce

The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion

Goodbye Stranger - Rebecca Staed

The Weird Sisters - Eleanor Brown

A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry

A few were mentioned here, all are from my TBR list. It's good the cold time of the year is around the corner. I will spend lots of time on my sofa or in bed and read read read

Old 09-20-2017, 01:09 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
DawnMTL: Do you know if Paul (When Breath Becomes Air) was a smoker or not? I found it so unusual that at age 36 he got lung cancer. Great book. It made me rethink my decision to donate my body to science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books