Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 01:16 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
DawnMTL: Do you know if Paul (When Breath Becomes Air) was a smoker or not? I found it so unusual that at age 36 he got lung cancer. Great book. It made me rethink my decision to donate my body to science.
He was not. In fact, when his oncologist told him that he had lung cancer and didn't have long to live, he jokingly asked her if he could start smoking since it wasn't going to hurt him now.

It is very unusual to get cancer at 36, especially lung cancer. Of all the unusual cases, why such a smart, unbelievably dedicated and compassionate man...

Quote from the eulogy that I gave for my father in 2014:
Quote:
He once told me that life isn’t always fair. It turns out that he was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 03:00 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default A strong thumb up! (Two, when possible)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Found a copy of The drowned cities / by Paolo Bacigalupi, SF, @ a thirft shop. They also had Water knife, another of his novels, but I've already read that one. Drowned is classified as YA, but he's an excellent writer. Very interesting mix of possible technologies, plus extreme political/social settings.

Something to look forward to, details later.
c.2012, Little, Brown and Company

Subjects
War -- Fiction.
Soldiers -- Fiction.
Survival -- Fiction.
Orphans -- Fiction.
Conduct of life -- Fiction.
Genetic engineering -- Fiction.

Notes
Companion to: Ship breaker.

Summary
In a dark future America that has devolved into unending civil wars, orphans Mahlia and Mouse barely escape the war-torn lands of the Drowned Cities, but their fragile safety is soon threatened and Mahlia will have to risk everything if she is to save Mouse, as he once saved her.

Length
434 pages ;

Now searching for Ship breaker, the first of the two - our public library has it. Excellent writing - although it's aimed @ YA audience, it never feels like the author is talking down to his reader. Splendid world-building, I'm impressed with the resonance he gets across the characters, their settings, their situations, their language. Highly recommended - I haven't read anything disappointing by him yet.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:45 PM

30,501 posts, read 16,206,257 times
just started Beautiful Girl by Torey Hayden

Old 09-20-2017, 05:00 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I couldn't resist any longer. Even though my TR pile on my shelf is not that much smaller than a few weeks ago I've ordered a few used books for very good prices. So now I'm waiting for:

Annihilation - Jeff Vandermeer > hope to receive and start it today!

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Seth Graham Smith > don't ask me why but it sounded absurd so I had to have it.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce

The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion

Goodbye Stranger - Rebecca Staed

The Weird Sisters - Eleanor Brown

A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry

A few were mentioned here, all are from my TBR list. It's good the cold time of the year is around the corner. I will spend lots of time on my sofa or in bed and read read read
Miguel's Mom--- my TBR virtual pile is ever growing and I spend way too much time with the laptop on my lap but---- for the record I loved Harold Fry and I loved even more the companion book The Lovesong of Miss Queenie Hennesy. It was one of the best books I have ever read.

I finally read the Rosie Project and it was cute and enjoyable but not more.
Now I will go back to browsing the web. and not read the actual book /kindle I am working on and wonder why it's taking me weeks to read a good simple book.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:54 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Miguel's Mom--- my TBR virtual pile is ever growing and I spend way too much time with the laptop on my lap but---- for the record I loved Harold Fry and I loved even more the companion book The Lovesong of Miss Queenie Hennesy. It was one of the best books I have ever read.

I finally read the Rosie Project and it was cute and enjoyable but not more.
Now I will go back to browsing the web. and not read the actual book /kindle I am working on and wonder why it's taking me weeks to read a good simple book.
Mayvenne, I know what you mean. Instead of finishing a book I also just go on browsing and look for recommendations of the next books I DO NEED TO BUY The TBR pile on goodreads is growing daily

Old 09-21-2017, 07:51 AM

7,365 posts, read 5,479,265 times
Can I get help finding out a title to a book? My mom read this but doesn't remember the title and it sounds good so I'd like to read it:

In WW II England a woman becomes a nurse, meets a man who is going to become a priest but they fall in love, marry, he goes off to war. She realizes she's pregnant but gets badly burned in a bombing raid...

I'll stop there just in case this book sounds familiar to anyone reading it or plans on reading it.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:27 PM

556 posts, read 788,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
Can I get help finding out a title to a book? My mom read this but doesn't remember the title and it sounds good so I'd like to read it:

In WW II England a woman becomes a nurse, meets a man who is going to become a priest but they fall in love, marry, he goes off to war. She realizes she's pregnant but gets badly burned in a bombing raid...

I'll stop there just in case this book sounds familiar to anyone reading it or plans on reading it.
Try this one https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-memory-of-us

Old 09-21-2017, 04:38 PM

7,365 posts, read 5,479,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohmixer View Post
Yes! That's it! Thank you so much!

Old 09-21-2017, 07:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I finished "I Know A Secret" by Tess Gerritsen. I didn't think much of it and wonder why I read it, let alone finished it.

Now onto "Red Rising" (Red Rising Saga #1) by Pierce Brown. It's a selection from a list of sci-fi recommedatons that were included on our library's "Ten to Try" challenge. We are supposed to read a STEM book (science, technology, something, something).

Old 09-22-2017, 08:03 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
"The Screaming Staircase" by Jonathan Stroud (Lockwood & Co. #1)

While posting this to my Goodreads account, I came across this one and immediately recommended it for our library's purchase.

Everyman in Vietnam: A Soldier's Journey into the Quagmire 1st Edition
by Michael Adas (Author), Joseph J. Gilch (Author)

https://www.amazon.com/Everyman-Viet...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books