Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2017, 11:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times

Advertisements

Trying to read Michael Connelly's "The Late Show" -- female detective character after all the Bosch books
Love Bosch and Ballard--the new detective--tries to be as hard and resolute and honest as Bosch but she can be less like able than Bosch--
With him it is the Jazz and his love for his daughter that make him human
With Ballard it is her rescue dog and her paddle boarding or surfing...
But LA in her book so far is not nearly as memorable as Bosch's city...
And have gotten to a dark place in the book--don't know if I want to read through this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 05:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Argggg, I just now downloaded it onto my Kindle before reading to the end of the posts here. I hope I can get into it!
Or you can return it. I've done that before.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:40 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Or you can return it. I've done that before.
Good idea Dawn. I may do that. I read a bit of it last evening but was too sleepy to read much of it.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:58 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Has anyone read, or is planning to read the tome by Stephen King and his son, Sleeping Beauties? Before I pay money for it, I'd like to hear from someone who has read it as I have been so disppointed in his previous books. I read a few pages of the sample and the language seemed to be more grown-up than was the case in some of his more recent books. I thought perhaps having his son as co-writer might restrain some of the father's excesses.

https://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Beau...s=Stephen+king

Old 09-30-2017, 04:25 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Love Bosch
so was wondering how the new bk was going to pan out. If you finish it, let us know...

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Trying to read Michael Connelly's "The Late Show" -- female detective character after all the Bosch books
Love Bosch and Ballard--the new detective--tries to be as hard and resolute and honest as Bosch but she can be less like able than Bosch--
With him it is the Jazz and his love for his daughter that make him human
With Ballard it is her rescue dog and her paddle boarding or surfing...
But LA in her book so far is not nearly as memorable as Bosch's city...
And have gotten to a dark place in the book--don't know if I want to read through this...

Old 09-30-2017, 09:30 PM

443 posts, read 437,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Has anyone read, or is planning to read the tome by Stephen King and his son, Sleeping Beauties? Before I pay money for it, I'd like to hear from someone who has read it as I have been so disppointed in his previous books. I read a few pages of the sample and the language seemed to be more grown-up than was the case in some of his more recent books. I thought perhaps having his son as co-writer might restrain some of the father's excesses.

https://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Beau...s=Stephen+king

I ordered it as part of my BotM selection so it should be arriving within the next week. I hope it's good!

Old 10-02-2017, 10:05 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I tried listening to John Boyne's "This House is Haunted" but it was such plodding, insipid drivel that I couldn't continue.

Now I'm started the audio version of "An Inquiry Into Love and Death" by Simone St. James. I read her "The Other Side of Midnight" and gave it four stars, so that's promising.

In the eves, I have the third installment of the audiobook, "A Storm of Swords." It's not a Halloween read, but now is when my hold came available so I downloaded it.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:13 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I just started (3% in, baby!) All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood. I'm not into meth or stories about meth (as the synopsis implies) but netwit told me to read it and, clearly, it's a coming-of-age story so I'll likely enjoy it. I'm certainly enjoying the writing style, which is half the battle sometimes.

ETA: The synopsis -- or maybe it was from my brief scan of the reviews -- shows that there's child molestation involved so I know this book is likely not for everyone.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:04 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I just finished The Alice Network and I loved it! I can’t remember who mentioned it here but thank you, thank you!
Jumping up and down with my arm stretched straight up! That was me!! I LOVED it too!! I'm so glad you loved it too!

I'm re-reading Harry Potter right now, book 1 only for now, but might set aside. I have a library book now, can't remember the name of it though. I think it is YA. I've had a lot of tries and fails on books so decided it was a good time for a re-read.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:46 PM

443 posts, read 437,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just started (3% in, baby!) All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood. I'm not into meth or stories about meth (as the synopsis implies) but netwit told me to read it and, clearly, it's a coming-of-age story so I'll likely enjoy it. I'm certainly enjoying the writing style, which is half the battle sometimes.

ETA: The synopsis -- or maybe it was from my brief scan of the reviews -- shows that there's child molestation involved so I know this book is likely not for everyone.

I had a love/hate relationship with this book. I read it in the beginning of the year and I STILL don't know how I feel about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books