Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 05:34 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,404,580 times

Advertisements

I'm listening to "Night in the Lonesome October" by Roger Zelazny and read by the author.

You can find it on YouTube. What a captivating book.

The narration is perfect.

It's written from the pov of Jack the Ripper's dog.

I had never heard of this book. Duh on me.

I came across it while trying to find the author of another book by the same title- the horror novel by Richard Laymon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 06:19 PM

443 posts, read 435,011 times
Currently reading The Glass Castle. I find myself doing a lot of this

Old 10-03-2017, 06:33 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
An old but good one

POLAND
by James Michener

Old 10-04-2017, 07:25 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,520,053 times
I finished listening to Simone St. Jame's "An Inquiry Into Love and Death" and was disappointed. I noted that it was published two years earlier than another of her titles that I read last year, which I liked, so I am hoping that means she is getting better.

Next up on audio is "A Storm of Swords" by George R. R. Martin, the third in his series.

Meanwhile, I am on the last forty pages of "Red Rising," by Pierce Brown. Young Lisa, it IS a good story, but I don't think I will look for the sequels. I imagine the primary target audience is young males with lots of testosterone. Then again, one could say the same of Martin's Game of Thrones series.

After that, I have "The Stones Cry Out," by Sibella Giorello, but I also downloaded "Right Behind You" by Lisa Gardner, as a back up because I hate being on vacation and finding I hate the book I brought, but I don't want to pack more than one book because of the space considerations. (Our RV is a small Class C.)

And that's my reading adventure.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:55 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,332,386 times
Dawn-Did you finish All the Ugly and Wonderful Things? The more I thought about it, I'm not sure it was a book for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I finished listening to Simone St. Jame's "An Inquiry Into Love and Death" and was disappointed. I noted that it was published two years earlier than another of her titles that I read last year, which I liked, so I am hoping that means she is getting better.

Next up on audio is "A Storm of Swords" by George R. R. Martin, the third in his series.

Meanwhile, I am on the last forty pages of "Red Rising," by Pierce Brown. Young Lisa, it IS a good story, but I don't think I will look for the sequels. I imagine the primary target audience is young males with lots of testosterone. Then again, one could say the same of Martin's Game of Thrones series.

After that, I have "The Stones Cry Out," by Sibella Giorello, but I also downloaded "Right Behind You" by Lisa Gardner, as a back up because I hate being on vacation and finding I hate the book I brought, but I don't want to pack more than one book because of the space considerations. (Our RV is a small Class C.)

And that's my reading adventure.
Thanks for letting me know. I like some of those "guy" books and dystopian novels. One day I will get to it, lol.

Ooh...vacation. Nice. Are you staying at a campground? I love their book swaps. We have a smaller rv than yours and I still manage to hide books in it, lol.

I started Impulse by Ellen Hopkins. It is a poetry book written in the voices of 3 troubled teens. They all tried to commit suicide and end up in a mental hospital together. I know...cheery right? I'm not a big poet but I actually like the way this books reads. I think it will be my go between with my other books.

I finished Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley. It is a YA novel about 16 year old Solomon who is agoraphobic and hasn't left his house in 3 years. One of his previous classmates witnessed his meltdown in junior high. Now she wants to be a psychologist and needs to write and essay to get a scholarship for college. Sol becomes her project and she befriends him.

It was a sad kind of story because Sol is overwhelmed by the outside world but he is not sad. He is a smart, funny and happy kid in his world with great parents. He just won't go outside. Anyway I think the message for kids is to accept the differences in people and get to know them. Not everyone needs to be fixed.

I also started The Dark Side: The Inside Story of How the War on Terror Turned Into a War on American Ideals by Jane Mayer. Sadly I am not in the right mode to read it so I have set it aside for another time.

Last night I started The Widow of Wall Street by Randy Susan Meyers. It's chick lit about a woman who marries a go getter of a man. Her parents hated him back in the late 60's. He ends up in prison for life after some shady dealings(I haven't gotten to the exact whys yet). The books is told from Phoebe's point of view and spans 5 decades. So far I am enjoying the story.

Originally I thought it was going to be about Bernie Madoff's wife.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,944,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
being on vacation
Have a great vacation!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Dawn-Did you finish All the Ugly and Wonderful Things? The more I thought about it, I'm not sure it was a book for you.

Not nearly. I haven't had much time and I'm only at 30%. Funny that you should ask about it today, though, because just last night I was thinking that I didn't want to continue with it. Nothing ugly has happened yet and, although I want to know what happens to Wavy and Kellen's relationship, I don't want to know how it got there.

Maybe you can tell me what happens at the end and I can be finished?

Old 10-05-2017, 11:03 AM

4,793 posts, read 2,783,911 times
Default The Job is the Job

Old bones / Cynthia Harrod-Eagles, c2016, Severn House.

Subjects
Slider, Bill (Fictitious character) -- Fiction.
Murder -- Investigation -- Fiction.
Cold cases (Criminal investigation) -- Fiction.
Police -- England -- London -- Fiction.

Summary
When a young couple discover human remains buried in the garden of their new house, Detective Inspector Bill Slider is called upon to investigate. It appears that they have found the final resting place of fourteen-year-old Amanda Knight, who disappeared from that same garden two decades before. With a murder twenty years in the past, this is the coldest of cold cases. Most of the suspects and principal players are now dead, and all the passion is long spent ... or is it?

Series
A Detective Inspector Slider mystery ; [19]
Bill Slider mysteries ;

Length - 249 pages ;

A police procedural. Harrod spins a good story, & has a cast of characters that she moves forward (& that continue throughout the series). This is the latest one, it would probably be better to start @ the beginning of the series. An entertaining read - if you don't mind the subject matter. Witty writing, & doesn't get morbid - amazingly.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:22 AM

13,384 posts, read 28,660,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
Currently reading The Glass Castle. I find myself doing a lot of this
I just finished that book and enjoyed it. Why the , the writing? The story? The lifestyle, if that's it I concur on the

Old 10-05-2017, 03:14 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
Of the interesting books listed, I've heard of only a few. Guess I live under 3 big rocks.

Besides this forum, where do you get reading ideas??

Old 10-05-2017, 04:43 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,520,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Ooh...vacation. Nice. Are you staying at a campground? I love their book swaps. We have a smaller rv than yours and I still manage to hide books in it, lol.
Yes, we are staying at the "best" RV park in Sequim, WA (there are only three). The purpose of the visit is so I can enjoy the fiber festival being held there beginning Friday night. I want to keep some space open in case I find something I absolutely cannot pass up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Have a great vacation!!!
Thanks. xo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Of the interesting books listed, I've heard of only a few. Guess I live under 3 big rocks.

Besides this forum, where do you get reading ideas??
LOL, Blue. I don't think you are under a rock, let alone three!
This forum always takes me to Goodreads, where my TRL resides. I go there, check out the title recommended, see if I've read anything else by the author and if I did, did I like it. If it looks like I want it on the list, I add it, and then notice the other stories in the side panels that might be "like" the one I added. If they look good, I may add them.

Then there's my online library pages. I also have a "For Later" list there that may or not match my Goodreads TRL. I keep track of what I read on my library dashboard, and as I read them I mark them read and rate them on both sites.

In turn, both show recommends. Though, in truth, most come from this forum. I use GR as a tracker system because I have a poor memory that is getting worse. I use the library TRL to queue up what I've selected to read next from GR.

When I am looking for something to read, I go first to the Goodreads TRL and sort it by the average number of stars assigned by different readers, unless I have a "taste" for a specific author.

I know it sounds complicated, but I don't buy books, so my library is my only source, with the exception of the free books I get from Amazon Kindle and Samsung Kindle book deals (one from each per month).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books