Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 11:23 PM

385 posts, read 205,536 times

Advertisements

I just completed The Power by Naomi Alderman and The Dark Lake by Sarah Bailey. I am now reading After the Eclipse by SarahPerry. Then I plan on reading Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward, Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng, and Before She Ignites by Jodi Meadows. Not to mention I have about 20 TBR books and my daughter has three books coming later this month from book subscriptions and I have BotM books coming again the beginning of November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 05:55 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduringwone View Post
I just completed The Power by Naomi Alderman and The Dark Lake by Sarah Bailey. I am now reading After the Eclipse by SarahPerry. Then I plan on reading Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward, Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng, and Before She Ignites by Jodi Meadows. Not to mention I have about 20 TBR books and my daughter has three books coming later this month from book subscriptions and I have BotM books coming again the beginning of November.
I don’t think we've met before. Welcome. Nice to have you here. Looks like you are in the right place! I've never read these authors. Do you have one in particular that you would recommend?

Old 10-14-2017, 06:22 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think being eaten by a large carnivore is overrated. A neighbour had a zoo and a lion I got to see close up. And I grew up around bulls and when they swing their heads into your direction and start pawing the ground, it's a little hard to describe the feeling but it wasn't quite being very alive. It was more like you discovered just how fast you could run. I had repetitive nightmares as a kid in which a bull would be after me and at the last possible moment I would fly to the top of a fence post.

Yeah bulls are hard to read and can be very scary. I was apple picking one day and putting the apples in a 5 gallon bucket. The bull started walking towards me. No way was I going to mess with him. I kept throwing apples at him until I got to the fence

Looks like I will be on slow down reading for a bit. I will need "easy" stuff for now. We are closing on a property in Florida on Monday. Tired now as we have been up since 4am. We will be cleaning/clearing, adding septic and well and a house and barn. Thinking about selling Pygmy goats. Have any of you ever seen fainting goats? OMgosh they are so funny but I do feel bad for them.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:26 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:

Thank you for those. I added a few to my ever growing books to read list. What did you think of The Power and The Dark Lake?

Old 10-14-2017, 08:02 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
I recently finished Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. I remember posting she was an author to watch after I read her debut novel. She did not disappoint.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm reading Happiness: A Memoir: The Crooked Little Road to Semi-Ever After by Heather Harpham.

I'm at 11%. Although it's a sad story, I'm enjoying the writing style a lot, and I hope -- as the title intimates -- that it gets less sad.

The only thing that's bothering me -- and I'll only know later whether to let go of this anger -- is that the "Brian" in question is Brian Morton, who wrote two books that I loved (Florence Gordon and Starting Out in the Evening). Right now I hate him enough that, if he should come out with another book, I'd be hesitant to read it. Yes, I'm holding an "author grudge by association."

Old 10-15-2017, 12:54 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Haven't read that in a long time...don't remember the plot just the ending...oops.

Now you'll think I never read any great books

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Ugh. 14% into The Perfect Husband and it had to go. Mostly for the writing. The content didn't help. Back to The Third Victim.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:01 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think being eaten by a large carnivore is overrated. A neighbour had a zoo and a lion I got to see close up. And I grew up around bulls and when they swing their heads into your direction and start pawing the ground, it's a little hard to describe the feeling but it wasn't quite being very alive. It was more like you discovered just how fast you could run. I had repetitive nightmares as a kid in which a bull would be after me and at the last possible moment I would fly to the top of a fence post.
I'm just yapping. But it just seems like such a timeless way to go. And that nightmare sounds awful!

Old 10-16-2017, 07:03 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Why do I dislike romance books, like LFM?

Do you enjoy them?
I am an odd person, true, but just can't stomach the predictability and mushiness.

True crime is more down my alley.

That might mean something is way off here...
You're not alone I also don't like romance books very much. I guess I've read way too many in my youth . It's the same with crime stories. I only listen to crime stories when I get the audio books. There are so many other great books out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I'm about halfway and liking Eleanor a little more. She is realizing what people who are more "normal" do. She is starting to do some of these things and surprised how some of these things are making her happy. I'm hoping for a good ending.
I have this on my TR pile, thank you

During the last weeks I finished the following books:

84, Charing Cross Road by Helen Hanff - very sweet and a really quick read.

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown - I gave it 5 out of 5 stars. The story about 3 sisters moved me. The writing had me from the start.

Days of Grace by Catherine Hall - also a very quick read, a good and suspenseful story.

Nearly finished Annihilation by Jeff Vandermer which is okay. It gave me the creeps and I couldn't read it at night. I don't know why. It's not that horrific it's just the writing style that kept me on edge. I don't even know if I would go for the second book in the series.

Halfway through Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls which is also very good. But all the others, who told us to read the Glass Castle after Half Broke Horses, were right. Too bad I didn't know about Half Broke Horses before reading The Glass Castle. The writing is not as good and the story of the Glass Castle makes everything else just not as good.

Will start What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty for a buddy read tonight.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:17 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post

Halfway through Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls which is also very good. But all the others, who told us to read the Glass Castle after Half Broke Horses, were right. Too bad I didn't know about Half Broke Horses before reading The Glass Castle. The writing is not as good and the story of the Glass Castle makes everything else just not as good.
Half Broke Horses was released 5 years after The Glass Castle, so most of us read them in that order because there was no choice.

ETA: I put The Weird Sisters on my "to read" list. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books