U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 12:31 AM

25 posts, read 39,385 times

Advertisements

i Love read this Book ; Chicken Soup Series,its really motivate me...and also inspiring me.
then Sherlock Holmes series by Conan Doyle.Also Harry Potter Series....

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 12:41 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,978,515 times
Just started The Book Theif... I've heard so many positive recommendations, so I'm a bit leary!! And I have to start Phantom of the Opera for BC.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:02 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,135,860 times
I'm about halfway or more through Willoughby's Return.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:43 AM

460 posts, read 751,226 times
Finally, finished House of Leaves. Reading Columbine and Anita Shreve's Change in Altitude. (really disappointed in House of Leaves).

Old 12-29-2009, 08:54 AM

6,764 posts, read 21,366,956 times
I am in the middle of Alison Weir's fiction book The Lady Elizabeth.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:17 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,094,031 times
Default Too many, it seems

Started a Book Club in da neighborhood just recently. We read Markus Zusak's I Am the Messenger, which we all seemed to enjoy very much, although we had almost as many 'takes' on the ending of the book as there are members in the club. I'd love to see what others have thought, as well.

Because I liked Messenger as much as I did, I have since started his work, The Book Thief. I like Zusak's style very much, and the 'voice' he gives his narrators. If I were still teaching HS English, these would be great reading choices for a number of reasons.

Let's see. Also on the end table here:

Jeffrey Zaslow's The Girls from Ames. It's okay, but I'd rather read a story as it unfolds, than be given a synopsis. It's dull, to me, for that reason. The Book Club chose it for this coming month -- one of the gals actually is friends with one of The Girls, and she'll be at the get-together, so maybe I can get her 'take' on Zaslow's work.

Next book is Kathryn Stockett's The Help, which I am enjoying for a number of reasons: the South during the 1960's and the beginnings of the Civil Rights Movement, and here you have strong Black women working as domestics in white women's homes (who could afford the help). We had a maid, Lily, because my Mother was handicapped, and I have some fond memories of Lily. It's like re-visiting a piece of my childhood during a time I remember well, and which influenced my own personal views today.

And. . . because I adopted a little Cairn terrier back in October, I am re-reading L. Frank Baum's The Wizard of Oz, which reminded me at Christmastime, to pick up my copy of his biography of Santa Claus, which is a fun read, too. That led me to pull from the shelves, the two Jolly Postman books to read with a neighbor's child -- the original and the Christmas version (which isn't as good, but still fun).

There, not-so-much-in-a-nutshell, is the answer to the question: what am I reading right now?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:25 AM

15,895 posts, read 17,381,268 times
I'm reading The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. It's a long read and for about the first 50 pages I found it to be "ho-hum." Then, suddenly, I turned the page and the story opened up like sun-fed flowers.

The same thing happened when I read The Poisonwood Bible.

I recommend both of them.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:19 PM

3,944 posts, read 6,121,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. It's a long read and for about the first 50 pages I found it to be "ho-hum." Then, suddenly, I turned the page and the story opened up like sun-fed flowers.

The same thing happened when I read The Poisonwood Bible.

I recommend both of them.
I may have to read The Lacuna after all. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:11 PM

6,487 posts, read 8,279,110 times
U is for Undertow by Sue Grafton

Old 12-31-2009, 01:40 PM

155 posts, read 272,473 times
dean koontz the the face
and i will be going to the library to pick up two books from j california cooper and a collection of horror stories can't wait i soooooooo heart books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books