Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2017, 12:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Thanks for this. I wonder if my Samsung has a similar app.

That one was too wooden in its writing style so I gave it up for this later work, hoping for better. "The Buried Giant" also by Kazuo Ishiguro.
I think re the Open Library app--it works with many different options/platforms
Google Open Library and Samsung phone
Likely you need the Anderoid app for your Samsung vs the iOS one
You don't have to go to the Samsung site--
I don't know where Anderoid phone users get their apps--Google play?

My app does not allow me to use the DAISY formatting which would allow a download of the book to read it anywhere--with or without WiFi connection--like my Kindle app does
Since Apple products can't really do Adobe I have to read my Open Library books via my browser and be on-line...a little more tedious because I can't read them when my husband is driving or when I am waiting at the doctor's for example--
Have to use my Kindle--so jump from book to book...
But they are free which is good consideration and worth the extra hassle...
Many older books are available
Newer books not so much
Don't know what the legal agreement is w/the writers/publishers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 12:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I take this back about Arbitrary Stupid Goal: it's not a memoir. It's not a slice of life. Well, I guess it is in that she's remembering stuff. But it's not a linear story. It's vignettes. I'm still reading it because it's entertaining (kinda) but it's not a cohesive story. LFM, I think that you might hate it.
I take this back too: I'm not still reading it. It's too random.

Next book is... I don't know yet. To be determined.

ETA: I'm going to give Uncommon Type a try. A bunch of short stories by Tom Hanks. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by DawnMTL; 10-22-2017 at 01:56 PM..

Old 10-22-2017, 07:46 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduringwone View Post
Hello!

While I did not care for the main character in The Dark Lake by Sarah Bailey, I find her to be a talented writer. The Sister's Chase by Sarah Healy has been one of my favorite books in a long time. A book I read a long time ago by Khalid Hosseini called A Thousand Splendid Suns is a favorite and a keeper. I usually swap my books, but I held on to that one and plan on reading it again soon.

Thanks so much for the welcome. I LOVE to read books and my daughter does also. Looking forward to adding to my list from what you all read.
I can already tell you belong here.

Quote:
I take this back about Arbitrary Stupid Goal: it's not a memoir. It's not a slice of life. Well, I guess it is in that she's remembering stuff. But it's not a linear story. It's vignettes. I'm still reading it because it's entertaining (kinda) but it's not a cohesive story. LFM, I think that you might hate it.
I think you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think re the Open Library app--it works with many different options/platforms
Google Open Library and Samsung phone
Likely you need the Anderoid app for your Samsung vs the iOS one
You don't have to go to the Samsung site--
I don't know where Anderoid phone users get their apps--Google play?

My app does not allow me to use the DAISY formatting which would allow a download of the book to read it anywhere--with or without WiFi connection--like my Kindle app does
Since Apple products can't really do Adobe I have to read my Open Library books via my browser and be on-line...a little more tedious because I can't read them when my husband is driving or when I am waiting at the doctor's for example--
Have to use my Kindle--so jump from book to book...
But they are free which is good consideration and worth the extra hassle...
Many older books are available
Newer books not so much
Don't know what the legal agreement is w/the writers/publishers
I have Google books on my phone, and they do allow me to download and read offline there, but the interface is not as user friendly as the kindle app and I already have easy access to more than I can possibly read. Still, I like knowing the books are there -- just in case I am caught without something to read! (Shudder!)

Quote:
... ETA: I'm going to give Uncommon Type a try. A bunch of short stories by Tom Hanks. What could possibly go wrong?
Indeed.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Indeed.
Yes. Indeed. Short stories and I rarely get along. This collection is no different. Oh well...

ETA: There's some irony here. I have 3 or 4 other collections of short stories on my "to read" list. I know that I don't like them, yet they wheedle their way onto my list anyway. And then I feel SHOCKED that I don't like them. Sigh...

Old 10-23-2017, 05:15 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduringwone View Post
The Power was a quick read and while I did find it an interesting book, it did not have any characters I particularly cared for.

The Dark Lake is not what you think it is about, not really. They do have a murder case to solve and they do solve it but it is mainly about the main character. I found her pretty despicable, but I loved the way the author writes.
I usually need one redeeming character to enjoy a book. But I can work with interesting if I need to

I picked up The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel at the campground library. It is an interesting book about a man who just doesn't want to be around people. At age 20 he left his car on a road in Maine and starting hiking through the woods. After a few months he finds a spot that is well hidden and settles in for 27 years without ever seeing people, well except for one time when he said "hello" to a hiker.

In reading this I learned of hikikomori which are about a million Japanese young adults who have shut themselves off from the world and live in their rooms. Some have been there for 10 years and their parents just leave for them. It boggles my mind that so many younger people there have done that. I added Shutting Out the Sun: How Japan Created Its Own Lost Generation by Michael Zielenziger to my list.

On a side note we took off yesterday and Mike found me in the rv park library with books everywhere. I am slowly alphabetizing them

Old 10-23-2017, 06:42 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Yes. Indeed. Short stories and I rarely get along. This collection is no different. Oh well...

ETA: There's some irony here. I have 3 or 4 other collections of short stories on my "to read" list. I know that I don't like them, yet they wheedle their way onto my list anyway. And then I feel SHOCKED that I don't like them. Sigh...
It's those little bits about you that we love. xo

PS: That is me about high fat or sugary foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I picked up The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel at the campground library. It is an interesting book about a man who just doesn't want to be around people. At age 20 he left his car on a road in Maine and starting hiking through the woods. After a few months he finds a spot that is well hidden and settles in for 27 years without ever seeing people, well except for one time when he said "hello" to a hiker.

... Mike found me in the rv park library with books everywhere. I am slowly alphabetizing them
Finkle has apparently been browsing my secret fantasies since my adolescence. I've often sought the solace of woodlands to my mother's admonitions. I aver crowded living, and can go long periods without wanting company, except -- of course, here.

As for Mike: a smart man that knows where to find his wife!

(I do the same thing in libraries, especially in the reference section. It astonishes me that people cannot reshelve alphanumerically. )

BW and I left for the Oregon Coast a week from yesterday. It took a days drive to get to our first location where we enjoyed a nice day and a half exploring two different beach towns before the storms set in. Maybe I should say "squall." The winds blew HEAVY rains, making our last travel day feel like an action adventure movie as we made our way along coastal highway 101's curvy cliffsides up into the winding mountains to our present location on the banks of the Rogue River. For four days we've been buffeted with rains that sounded like a firehose, getting only three breaks: two only long enough to walk the dogs roadside, and one giving us an afternoon to take a trip down to Gold Beach, where we nearly lost our small terrier to the backwash of a rogue wave that launched at us out of nowhere.

And yet, with all the forced inactivity inside this 25' Minnie, I've still only been able to sit and listen to an hour and nine minutes of Kazuo Ishiguro's "The Buried Giant."

Moving on to Joe Hill's "The Fireman."

Old 10-23-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
It's those little bits about you that we love. xo

PS: That is me about high fat or sugary foods.

Hahaha!

Love you, girl! XOXO

Old 10-23-2017, 08:49 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Hi Guys,
I'm reading Five-Carat Soul by James McBride, a collection of short stories. As with the past two, The Good Lord Bird and Kill 'em Leave, it's excellent.
Simultaneously reading The Golden House by Salman Rushdie.
On deck:
Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan
Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart
Midnight at Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew Sullivan

Old 10-23-2017, 09:33 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Just ordered this book by Ng...looking forward to that

Scanning MAN HUNT by Peter Bergen
the 10 yr search for Osama Bin Laden

A bit too dry for me to read every word, but still fascinating...describes his personal life, wives, children as well as the long search and military actions up to the day he was finally murdered.

QUOTE=tigerlily;49823760]I recently finished Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. I remember posting she was an author to watch after I read her debut novel. She did not disappoint.[/quote]

Old 10-23-2017, 09:42 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Stranger in the Woods....saved
Has to be fascinating...

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I usually need one redeeming character to enjoy a book. But I can work with interesting if I need to

In reading this I learned of hikikomori which are about a million Japanese young adults who have shut themselves off from the world and live in their rooms. Some have been there for 10 years and their parents just leave for them. It boggles my mind that so many younger people there have done that. I added Shutting Out the Sun: How Japan Created Its Own Lost Generation by Michael Zielenziger to my list.

On a side note we took off yesterday and Mike found me in the rv park library with books everywhere. I am slowly alphabetizing them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books