Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 07:23 AM

556 posts, read 788,157 times

Advertisements

The Gray & Guilty Sea by Scott Carter

Garrison Gage found a dead body on the beach and being a former investigator is trying to find the name of the dead woman I read about 50 pages last night and it is holding my attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 07:32 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Simultaneously reading The Golden House by Salman Rushdie.
I've never read anything by Salman Rushdie but he was on Curb Your Enthusiasm last week (two weeks ago? whatever; it was in the last few weeks) and I was shocked -- he's hilarious!

Old 10-24-2017, 08:08 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I've never read anything by Salman Rushdie but he was on Curb Your Enthusiasm last week (two weeks ago? whatever; it was in the last few weeks) and I was shocked -- he's hilarious!
I saw it, too. Loved it and Larry David. Truly histerical. The Rushdie features a trump like character. I'm only on Chapter three. So far, so good. I have that album by John Jarvis. Lol.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:31 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Unapologetic competence attracts me.

OMG! May I steal that sentence from you? It's so concise and perfect in every way.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:54 PM

385 posts, read 205,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
It was an interesting look at someone who just can't handle society with all of it's people and loud noise.

Thank you. It sounds very good and has been added

I liked that book.The footbinding was an awful practice and made women practically useless...well except for ornamentation Trends during history are fascinating.

I have Pachinko on my list. Interested to hear what you have to say when you read it. What is a swap and how does your work?

OK...off to work. I will scan my kindle and see what I can start tonight. Oh and I saw a few good ones on kindle specials. Enjoy your day.[/quote]

I belong to MySubscriptionAddiction, which is a forum/blog for subscription boxes. I belong to several, my daughter included. We are allowed to swap items on the site and it is a great way to get access to more books.

I literally stayed up all night reading The Last Namsura! I really enjoyed it. I paid for it today though and will be going to bed shortly. Tonight I am reading Wild Beauty by Anna-Marie McLemore.

Oh I also swapped for The Clockwork Dynasty.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:14 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
I’m reading The House by the River by Lena Manta. I am 76% finished and I don’t understand why I haven’t given up on it. It grabbed me in the beginning and the story was interesting but then some things started jumping out at me.

The first jarring thing was the use of grandmother and grandfather rather than YiaYia and Pappous. My late, first husband was Greek and even in the United States grandmother and grandfather isn’t used, rather the Greek words for it. I don’t know why this bothers me so much but it does.

The villagers in the story don’t ring true as they are more modern and untraditional than many of the second generation Greek American people that I know. Then I got to the story about the last of the five sisters and she leaves Greece to study in the United States. She starts reading and rereading words that are difficult, strange, crazy but in reality she would have needed to learn the English alphabet before beginning to read a book written in English.

Why in the world do I have to be so picky? Anyway, these things bothered me so much that I looked on the author’s Kindle page and she’s Greek. I then saw that the book was translated so that would explain the grandmother/grandfather thing. I still want to see what happens but I may skip to the last chapter as the author rambles on and on. The book is really long and it could have easily been cut in half and have the story unaffected.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:41 PM

443 posts, read 437,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduringwone View Post

Let me know how you like it. It had such a good start but then it stalled halfway through for me. I had a hard time finishing it.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:58 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduringwone View Post

I belong to MySubscriptionAddiction, which is a forum/blog for subscription boxes. I belong to several, my daughter included. We are allowed to swap items on the site and it is a great way to get access to more books.

I literally stayed up all night reading The Last Namsura! I really enjoyed it. I paid for it today though and will be going to bed shortly. Tonight I am reading Wild Beauty by Anna-Marie McLemore.

Thanks for that. I will check it out.

I am reading The Girls from See Saw Lane (Brighton Girls Trilogy #1) by Sandy Taylor which is an older kindle deal that I purchased. It is still on sale for 2.99. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

It is OK so far. It kind of reminds me of the Firefly Lane (Firefly Lane #1) by Kristin Hannah but a different era and country, lol.

One of my book groups is reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown which has been on my list for awhile now. It is on special for 1.99.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:46 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Bury my Heart...a must read on my school list yrs ago...but your heart will be wrenched into one tiny piece.

Still, necessary for understanding that era of Native American history. I might read it again soon.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Thanks for that. I will check it out.

I am reading The Girls from See Saw Lane (Brighton Girls Trilogy #1) by Sandy Taylor which is an older kindle deal that I purchased. It is still on sale for 2.99. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

It is OK so far. It kind of reminds me of the Firefly Lane (Firefly Lane #1) by Kristin Hannah but a different era and country, lol.

One of my book groups is reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown which has been on my list for awhile now. It is on special for 1.99.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:49 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Reading THE MAN WHO LOVED BOOKS TOO MUCH, by Allison H. Bartlett

True story of a rare book thief. Writing is slow but subject so interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books