Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 08:26 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

I started Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. Lots of people on here read it and liked it a while back. It's been calling me from my night stand for a while now and I finally picked it up and like it so far. Not sure where it's going but I'm happy to go along for the ride at this point.
Quote:
ylisa7;What do you think? I liked not loved the book but hated him.
So far I don't really like any of the people, but I'm not very far into it yet. It promises a big twist, so we'll see--often those are oversold. I do think the writing is very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 11:48 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I finished The Burning Girl. Thank god THAT'S over! Don't ask me why I kept reading; I just did. I skimmed a lot, though. The story was thin and was completely based on conjecture at every turn: "maybe this happened," "maybe that happened," "may she was thinking..." Obviously, your mileage may vary but, according to my mileage, I don't recommend this book.
Agree. Dawn, finished The Burning Girl and wish I had not. I liked the first 30% because Messud's description of characters were excellent. It was downhill from that point. There was not enough story here.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:08 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Agree dawn and ylisa finish a lot of books I would not have bothered with kudos to you ladies you are awesome . keep on reading cause some of us don't have the fortitude to finish a down trodden book . I have the weird sisters on hold at the library I'm so hoping I like it .

Old 10-27-2017, 03:09 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Agree dawn and ylisa finish a lot of books I would not have bothered with kudos to you ladies you are awesome . keep on reading cause some of us don't have the fortitude to finish a down trodden book . I have the weird sisters on hold at the library I'm so hoping I like it .
I give up on more books than I bother to finish, actually. And the one that was just mentioned was a rarity and, even at that, I skimmed to the end.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:05 PM

443 posts, read 437,458 times
Finished A Perfect Stranger by Megan Miranda. A lot of the reviews that I read said that it wasn't that great but I liked it. I thought it was a decent read. Maybe my expectations were set low after reading those reviews .... ?

Starting Lie to Me by J.T. Ellison tonight.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:29 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post

I have a hard time giving up unless I really really dislike it. Sadly when I do finish "some" it feels like wasted time to me. I will skim though

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
Finished A Perfect Stranger by Megan Miranda. A lot of the reviews that I read said that it wasn't that great but I liked it. I thought it was a decent read. Maybe my expectations were set low after reading those reviews .... ?

Starting Lie to Me by J.T. Ellison tonight.
Will check those.

I just started The Language of Hoofbeats by Catherine Ryan Hyde which is my first book by her. I loved her book that became a movie, Pay It Forward.

I also finished The Perfect Son. "This was my first book by Barbara Claypole White and I can't wait to read another. I really liked this story and the characters. Father and son who are on two completely opposites, one with Tourette syndrome and the other with Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, must learn to deal with each other when the wife/mother has a massive heart attack and is in the hospital.

I enjoyed the father and son relationship as it grew thanks to a couple of good friends and a quirky outgoing neighbor. One has to learn acceptance of themselves and others to become a better person."

I really liked author and she seems to have quite a few good ones She deals with a lot of relationships, illness and grieving. Wow not so cheery, lol, but her characters are good IMO.
https://www.goodreads.com/author/lis...Claypole_White

Old 10-28-2017, 06:42 AM

556 posts, read 788,229 times
I’m rereading Mr. Mercedes after watching the series on AWEtv. The characters are easier to imagine and so far the script seems to be following the book quite closely.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:31 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I just finished Joe Hill's "The Fireman" and OMG it was GREAT. I am awash as if hit by a tsunami. Read this book.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:09 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
So far I don't really like any of the people, but I'm not very far into it yet. It promises a big twist, so we'll see--often those are oversold. I do think the writing is very good.

I enjoyed reading Fates and Furies, though I hated the characters, hated the decisions they made, hated how they treated other people and so on and so on. The writing and the strangeness is what kept me going.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:49 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Finished

THE GARDNER HEIST
by Ulrich Boser

About the largest art heist in history in Boston, 1990
Interesting but dry writing

MIDNIGHT AT THE BRIGHT IDEAS BOOKSTORE
by Matthew Sullivan

Fun mystery, but also poignant
Mystery surrounding suicide in a bookstore
Loved it, pleasure to read

DARK VICTORY
THE LIFE OF BETTE DAVIS
by Ed Sikov

Hard to follow but encompasses her entire life

Reading

THOMAS JEFFERSON
THE ART OF POWER

by Jon Meacham
(presidential historian who was just in my area giving a speech... but I didn't know...missed this very bright author)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books