Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 11:12 PM

454 posts, read 688,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I'm still on this one. Halfway through though!
Oh my Gosh! I almost cried...I love that book! That brings back 1st grader memories. How cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 11:44 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Just finished Dead to the World, the fourth book in the Sookie Stackhouse vampire series by Charlaine Harris. They're like a bag of good potato chips. Not the best nutrition in the world, but soooo tasty. Looking forward to Dead as a Doornail.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:48 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
Now that I seen the movie, I'm fixing to read that Pelham 123, **** sounds scary!
I read this many years ago, but have not seen the movie. The book was very good. I hope you like it.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:23 AM

Last night I read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie and loved it. It's considered a young adult novel, but my 11-year-old isn't mature enough for it yet. Alexie can break your heart while he's making you laugh.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:05 AM

353 posts, read 1,000,899 times
Bourne Supremacy

Old 01-04-2010, 12:57 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Last night I read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie and loved it. It's considered a young adult novel, but my 11-year-old isn't mature enough for it yet. Alexie can break your heart while he's making you laugh.
Just the title intrigues me.

A lot of <quote> young adult fiction <bg> is just awesome. Sheesh, but the Harry Potter series as children's lit? I can think of a slew of others.

Can you share the storyline of Alexie's Diary? You know, this is the story of _?_ who _?_.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:13 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Big Sherman Alexie fan here...we grew up in the same area and I can relate to a lot of the people in his books...I guess it's because it seems I know them and had some of the same experiences (at Reardan and on the rez!)

The Diary is a good book. Thought it was pretty good as a 40+ year old reading a "young adult" novel. Alexie's a great author--he can be tough as well as he doesn't blink or soft-sell anything, but he's great.

Currently reading The Night Stalkers by Michael J. Durant, Steve Hartov with Lt. Col. (Ret.) Robert L. Johnson. It's about the US Army's special operations aviation regiment and has some great (and heartbreaking) stories of their exploits. Thank goodness we have men like this in our country.

(The authors have a little credibility themselves--they know that of which they speak. Google them.)

Old 01-04-2010, 01:19 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Can you share the storyline of Alexie's Diary? You know, this is the story of _?_ who _?_.
It's about an Indian kid who grows up on the Spokane Indian Reservation with many of the attendant problems that go with it. He ends up transferring schools to a neighboring "white" community (Reardan, WA--real place, as is the rez and it's communities) and the story is about his making his way in both that culture and the "rez" culture--thus the "part-time" part of the title.

Like the OP said, both funny and sad book, but having grown up there and being very familiar with both communities, it all rings so very true.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Just the title intrigues me.

A lot of <quote> young adult fiction <bg> is just awesome. Sheesh, but the Harry Potter series as children's lit? I can think of a slew of others.

It's a short novel about a 14-year-old boy growing up poorer than poor on a Spokane Indian reservation in Washington. He's picked on for several reasons, one of them being because he's smart. A teacher talks him into going to high school off the reservation so that he can get a better education. It has really funny moments and hilarious drawings, but it's also very painful.

Apparently, it's semi-autobiographical as well.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:13 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Im currently reading "The laws of similars " by chris Bohjalian. really good book , I have read quite a few of his lately and I really like them .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books