Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 10:48 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I liked Chabon's Moonglow enough that I zipped right through it. The book of his I could. not. get. through. was The Yiddish Policemen's Union. He is one of my favorite writers, though.

I'm currently reading another favorite author, Alice McDermott. Her latest is called The Ninth Hour, and it's about the loving wonderfulness of the nuns with whom you may be familiar if you are Irish Catholic (I'm half) and of a certain age (I'm on the younger end, I think).
I loved, loved The Ninth Hour. did you read Chaming Billy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 06:22 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default Hell in the Pacific, v. 2.0

Hunter killer : the war with China--the battle for the Central Pacific / David Poyer, c2017. St. Martin’s Press, F Poye.

Subjects
• Special operations (Military science) -- United States -- Fiction.
• Naval battles -- Fiction.
• United States -- Relations -- China -- Fiction.
• China -- Relations -- United States -- Fiction.

Summary
• World War with China explodes in Hunter Killer, David Poyer's dramatic new thriller. The United States stands nearly alone in its determination to fight, rather than give into the expansionist demands of the aggressive new "People's Empire." The naval and air forces of the Associated Powers - China, Pakistan, Iran, and North Korea - have used advanced technology and tactical nuclear weapons to devastate America's fleet in the Pacific, while its massive army forced humiliating surrenders on Japan, Taiwan, the Philippines, and other crucial allies. Admiral Dan Lenson, commanding a combined US-South Korean naval force, and Commander Cheryl Staurulakis of USS Savo Island fight to turn the tide and prepare for an Allied counteroffensive. Meanwhile, SEAL operator Teddy Oberg escapes from a hellish POW camp and heads west through desolate mountains toward what he hopes will be freedom. Hector Ramos, an unwilling recruit, learns the Marine Corps has an ethos all its own. And in Washington, DC, Dan's wife Blair Titus helps formulate America's political response to overwhelming setbacks in the Pacific and at on the home front. Filled with dramatic battle scenes, from ship, submarine, and air warfare to desperate hand-to-hand Marine Corps combat, and informed by the author's own background as a Navy captain and defense analyst, Hunter Killer is a powerful, all-too-believable novel about how the next world war might unfold.

Series
• Tales of the modern Navy

Length
• 314 pages ;

Light reading (reminds me of Clancy’s navy novels, but this one was actually in the Navy). Very interesting on shipboard ops, CIC, the electronics & systems behind the bulkheads. In a wider view, a plausible look @ what a worldwide modern war might look like. The story hints @ a startling possibility – dueling AIs.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:30 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I loved, loved The Ninth Hour. did you read Charming Billy?
Yes, I have read most of Alice McDermott's books. Tonight, however, I discovered one I had not read, Someone. She is one of my favorite authors.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:36 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default War is peace

Reread 1984 for book club. Orwell was an excellent writer. It's amazing how much I'd forgotten - & it's not a big book.

I probably last read it as part of a suggested reading list for college.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:53 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,489 times
Currently reading Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King(2nd read by him, just not normally my preference) and just finished Final Girls by Riley Sager. It was ok, quick read but average to me. Also recently read Cold Moon over Babylon by Michael McDowell and Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. Both were amazing.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:57 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,269,370 times
I'm rereading The Lonesome Gods by Louis L'Amour. Haven't read it in years and I'm enjoying reading it again.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:31 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I finished The Walls of the Universe which was referenced in the thread asking about similar books. It was good, but it is YA literature. I found it interesting enough that I am reading the sequel, The Broken Universe but it didn't blow me away.

And I am also reading, appropriately enough given the season, Short Stories by Jesus, by Amy-Jill Levine, professor of New Testament studies at Vanderbilt University. I have been reading for a while now, her Jewish Annotated New Testament. https://www.amazon.com/Short-Stories...l+levine+books

I also read Persepolis Rising, by James S.A. Corey, which is book 7 (or something) of The Expanse series that I liked so much.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:45 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
Another dud. "Girl Last Seen" by Nina Laurin. Her first book. I was enthralled until midway through when the plot went nuts. It's like someone else starting writing because Nina didn't know what to do. Expected ending too.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:04 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Lost my concentration...no book seems of interest right now...and I read a lot!

Take a break, I guess...

Old 12-20-2017, 02:43 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Reread 1984 for book club. Orwell was an excellent writer. It's amazing how much I'd forgotten - & it's not a big book.

I probably last read it as part of a suggested reading list for college.
I remember reading 1984 in college as well, though I think kids these days read it in Second Grade. Ok - that's an exaggeration, but seriously, I think kids are reading some classics much too early and they don't really grasp the significance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books