Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2017, 11:59 PM

385 posts, read 205,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
I started Pachinko last night. It's been sitting on my shelf for a good six months, I figured it was time.
How do you like it so far? I have about a hundred pages left. I do love stories like this one. I think I will read Ready Player One next to change it up a little next. Then it should be about time for my BotM selections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 12:10 AM

385 posts, read 205,536 times
I can't read multiple books unless one is like a self help or devotional type book.

My daughter can read several though.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
At 21% of this short book, I'm giving up on Some Bright Morning, I'll Fly Away by Alice Anderson. I have no idea how it got such fabulous reviews. The writing is awful. Not just bad, it's awful. The story is so choppy (oh, we're talking about THAT now?), there's no flow. So many details should have been included to make this a cohesive tale. Anyway. I don't want to waste more time reading it... or writing about it. Just no.

ETA: I'm going back to the other Alice. Alice Eve Cohen. I'm going to start The Year My Mother Came Back, which seems -- at least in part -- a follow-up to the one that I read last week (What I Thought I Knew).

Old 12-30-2017, 11:10 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
On the list...
Thanks

Reading TRUMAN
by David McCullough

[/i]
One of my favorites! If you like presidential bibliographies, I suggest putting Being Nixon on your list. Interesting and readable.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:30 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
One of my favorites! If you like presidential bibliographies, I suggest putting Being Nixon on your list. Interesting and readable.
Biographies, not bibliographies.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:00 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default On the bounce!

Unbreakable / William C. Bauers, c2014, Tom Doherty Associates, SF Baue.

Subjects
Space warfare -- Fiction.
• Women marines -- Fiction.

Summary
• "The colonists of the planet Montana are accustomed to being ignored. Situated in the buffer zone between two rival human empires, their world is a backwater: remote, provincial, independently-minded. Even as a provisional member of the Republic of Aligned Worlds, Montana merits little consideration--until it becomes the flashpoint in an impending interstellar war"--Dust jacket flap.

Series
• Chronicles of Promise Paen ; book 1

Length
• 368 pages ;

A first novel, the first of a series – Promise’s planet is raided, her family gone. She enlists in the Space Marines & tries to exorcise her demons. A rooting-tooting story of her growing up & career, making command. Good story. Includes a glossary for the non-Tom Clancyish among us. A good read. Excellent detail – space tactics, ambush, high-tech soldiery.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:18 PM

7,028 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I do it but I often wonder why?
I do it because I order all the books I want to read from my library. They all seem to come in at one time and I never know which one to start first, so I start them all.

Sometimes it's because of the size of the book. I may be reading one book, but if I have to go to a doctor's appointment or something and have to wait, I'll bring a smaller book that will fit in my purse.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:40 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default There's just something about a weighty tome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I do it because I order all the books I want to read from my library. They all seem to come in at one time and I never know which one to start first, so I start them all.

Sometimes it's because of the size of the book. I may be reading one book, but if I have to go to a doctor's appointment or something and have to wait, I'll bring a smaller book that will fit in my purse.
Just so. It's hard to lug around War & Peace, or one of the big histories of WWI, WWII, Korea, etc. So I tend to read those @ home, & carry something more portable around with me instead, for casual reading. For one, they're heavy & require a desk or something to prop them up on.

For another, I hate to spill drink or food on books, especially if they're library books or otherwise borrowed. & the big ones are so unwieldy that it's hard to manage drink, food & read the book @ the same time.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
I just finished "The Breakdown" by B.A. Paris. I enjoyed it very much and didn't do anything but read for 2 days. The writing is fresh, down to earth and snappy, all of which I love.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:34 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,301 times
I just bought Tom Bradys new book the TB12 Method, I love learning about fitness and nutrition from different perspectives ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books