Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 06:13 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I finished Fire and Fury a few days ago. Liz, for me, Wolff's book was a back up for widely publicized stories about our country's 45th administration. It is a fast read, entertaining, as well as very sad. On to David Cay Johnston's new book.
Interesting-Bannon was in Congress hearing (closed door) and tried to assert Presidential priviledge from before Trump was sworn in as a reason not to answer questions...
Why it is OK to spout off to a journalist and not to Congressional committee--only because the excrement has encountered the revolving air circulation unit...
Trying to bully those dudes just like he does anyone else
Bannon and Trump are two of a kind in that way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 06:47 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
I read Hillbilly Elegy several month ago and it didn't contain much new material about voters in West Virginia and southern Ohio. I am originally from Ohio. Vance is seriously considering a run against Senator Sherrod Brown in Ohio. No big surprise. Vance is close to the Koch brothers.

He didn't learn anything did he? He is following the money. He got too big for his britches and too far from his roots. I doubt he will ever help their plight.

Now someone who is fighting for what he believes and has my respect is Bryan Stevenson who wrote Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption. He strikes me as someone who is much more real.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:54 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,075,475 times
Echoes from Auschwitz: Dr. Mengele's Twins: The story of Eva and Miriam Mozes

Old 01-17-2018, 06:55 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Interesting-Bannon was in Congress hearing (closed door) and tried to assert Presidential priviledge from before Trump was sworn in as a reason not to answer questions...
Why it is OK to spout off to a journalist and not to Congressional committee--only because the excrement has encountered the revolving air circulation unit...
Trying to bully those dudes just like he does anyone else
Bannon and Trump are two of a kind in that way...
Mueller just subpoenaed Bannon to appear before grand jury. I think all other witnesses testified in Mueller's offices. Bannon's comments in Wolff's book may have peaked Mueller's interest.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:01 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,075,475 times
Quote:
I read Hillbilly Elegy several month ago and it didn't contain much new material about voters in West Virginia and southern Ohio. I am originally from Ohio. Vance is seriously considering a run against Senator Sherrod Brown in Ohio. No big surprise. Vance is close to the Koch brothers.
This guy spoke at my college graduation. He kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I haven't got to read the book yet, but I got the jist of it.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:11 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
This guy spoke at my college graduation. He kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I haven't got to read the book yet, but I got the jist of it.
He definitely rubbed me the wrong way and that was from reading his book

Old 01-18-2018, 03:08 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,782,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Echoes from Auschwitz: Dr. Mengele's Twins: The story of Eva and Miriam Mozes

Sounds interesting, thanks.

I recently read:

"The Forgotten Seamstress" by Liz Trenow. A shy girl with no family, Maria knows she's lucky to have landed in the sewing room of the royal household. Before World War I casts its shadow, she catches the eye of the Prince of Wales, a glamorous and intense gentleman. But her life takes a far darker turn, and soon all she has left is a fantastical story about her time at Buckingham Palace. -----I really enjoyed reading about Maria's experience working for the royal family and her struggles and upbringing, what I didn't like was the modern story concerning Caroline.

"The Winter Garden" by Kristin Hannah.1941. Leningrad, a once magical city besieged by war, cut off from aid, buried in snow. A city full of women desperate to save their children and themselves…
2000. Loss and old age have taken a terrible toll on Anya Whitson. At last, she will reach out to her estranged daughters. In a halting, uncertain voice, she begins to weave a fable about a beautiful Russian girl who lived in Leningrad a lifetime ago…
---Another past meets present story. I found the part about Leningrad so intriguing and heartbreaking what families endured living in Leningrad. It was difficult to read about. The present story however was a let down. It was very far fetched. Overall, worth reading because of past story told so well.

Has anyone read the Alice Network by Kate Quinn? "In an enthralling new historical novel from national bestselling author Kate Quinn, two women—a female spy recruited to the real-life Alice Network in France during World War I and an unconventional American socialite searching for her cousin in 1947—are brought together in a mesmerizing story of courage and redemption."

I'm waiting for it on hold at the library, but have thought about buying it a few times. looks like a moving story.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:38 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
I've got several going at once:

Building a Healthy Economy from the Bottom Up by Anthony Flaccavento

Making Small Farms Work by Richard Perkins

and on my kindle

Playing with Fire by Lawrence O'Donnell

Fire and Fury by Richard Wolff.

If only the 3 dogs would put in a little time doing some chores (vacuum up all the fur they shed, fix their own meals once in a while, etc.) I would have more time to read. Alas, they are even older, lazier and more disabled than I am. They are however far more lovable and cute than I.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:56 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
The book was a memoir, though, so I wouldn't expect it to contain a lot about voters in WV. Yes, it's nothing really new, but I did think it was a great book insofar as his own personal experience and how he viewed it. That said, I don't think he should be in government as his take on how to fix things via social and economic policies are going to work. (It does, however, make sense that he moved back to OH to prepare for a Senate run, thinking he'd be more successful in OH than he would in CA. So it's not that he decided to go actually do something to benefit the people in OH, but figured his shot at a political career was better there. *sigh*)

Old 01-19-2018, 02:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Read first book in Dublin Murder Squad: Into the Woods
Saw the hook but good description and decent suspense
Now reading later book in series "Broken Harbor"
Different narrator
Early chapter
More complicated murder scene than first but writer has more books to her credit by now too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books