Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 01:15 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,872,534 times

Advertisements

A couple of Lucy Irvine's.

I was reading https://www.amazon.com/Castaway-Lucy...astaway+irvine which I picked up at 1/2 Price but I misplaced it. I think it is under a pile of laundry.

So I started on https://www.amazon.com/Runaway-Lucy-...runaway+irvine

Finally, in my backpack is https://www.amazon.com/Best-Science-...erry+carr+%238
where I am on the 3rd story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 01:51 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,277,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Seriously, you guys, why didn't any of you *insist* that I read this book? I know some of you have talked about it, said how much you treasure it (Ketabcha, I'm looking at you), but you've never *told* me that I *must* read this.

You talkin' to me? I'm innocent. I have not read it.

To be honest I have been afraid to do so. I remember the Viet Nam war as clearly as if it was (were?) last month. I was in college at the time and lost a lot of people I cared about in Viet Nam. A lot. It's been 50 years and I still get upset from time to time.
I bought Ken Burns' "The Viet Nam War" on dvd last year and I can't bring myself to watch it.

I did finally read "The Cat From Hué" by John Laurence last week and totally enjoyed it. The cat himself got me through it.

"The Things They Carried" scares me. However, I just downloaded it and have started reading it.

I'll report back and we can "chat" about it. I'll be the one in the feathered boa.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:59 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,960,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
You talkin' to me? I'm innocent. I have not read it.

To be honest I have been afraid to do so. I remember the Viet Nam war as clearly as if it was (were?) last month. I was in college at the time and lost a lot of people I cared about in Viet Nam. A lot. It's been 50 years and I still get upset from time to time.
I bought Ken Burns' "The Viet Nam War" on dvd last year and I can't bring myself to watch it.

I did finally read "The Cat From Hué" by John Laurence last week and totally enjoyed it. The cat himself got me through it.

"The Things They Carried" scares me. However, I just downloaded it and have started reading it.

I'll report back and we can "chat" about it. I'll be the one in the feathered boa.
What? WHAT?! This is the third time that I've done that -- thought that someone here read (and loved) a book. The first was with Marlow. The second was Netwit. At least you have good company in that club. Me? I'm clearly losing it. Sigh...

I'm sorry that I made you think about the war now. And I'm even more sorry for your losses.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:14 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,342,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
What? WHAT?! This is the third time that I've done that -- thought that someone here read (and loved) a book. The first was with Marlow. The second was Netwit. At least you have good company in that club. Me? I'm clearly losing it. Sigh...
(
I also have that on my list and I'm pretty sure I got it from here.

I started one last night that you might like:
Break Up: The End of a Love Story by Catherine Texier
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

Old 02-07-2018, 05:30 PM

4,793 posts, read 2,787,008 times
Default Make mine a double

Immortal life : a soon to be true story / Stanley Bing, c2017, Simon & Schuster.

Subjects
Artificial intelligence -- Fiction.
Rich people -- Fiction.
Immortality -- Fiction.

Summary
"An ancient mogul has bought the power to live forever, but the strong young body he plans to inhabit has other ideas. The battle for immortal life begins. Immortal Life. A fantasy. An impossible dream. For now, maybe. But as we speak the moguls of Big Tech are pouring their mountain of wealth into finding a cure for death. Don't tell them they won't succeed. None of these titans is richer than Arthur Vogel. This inventor, tech tycoon, and all-round monster has amassed trillions (with a T) and rules over a corporate empire stretching all the way to Mars. The newest--and most expensive--life extension technology has allowed him to live to 127 years, but time is running out. His last hope to escape the inevitable lies with Gene, a human being specifically created for the purpose of housing Arthur's consciousness. The plan is to discard his used-up old carcass and come to a second life in a young, strong body with all appropriate working parts. But there's a problem: Gene. He may be artificial, but he is a person. And he has other ideas. As Arthur sets off to achieve his goal of world domination, Gene hatches a risky plan of his own. The forces against him are very, very rich, extremely determined, and used to getting what they pay for. The battle between creator and creation is joined as the two minds wrestle for control of one body. This story is real. The tech is in development. The sponsors are the titans of industry well known to you. Eternal life may very soon be at the fingertips of those who can afford it. Mixing brisk action, humor, and wicked social commentary, Immortal Life imagines a day just around the corner. Welcome to a brave new world that is too familiar for comfort--and watch the struggle for humanity play out to the bitter end"-- Provided by publisher.

Length
290 pages ;

Another take on the purpose-built body for an aging trillionaire with nothing to lose. The author has apparently mixed with some wealthy people - the dialog sounds appropriate. A light read - interesting on the technology.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:32 PM

496 posts, read 393,580 times
I just finished Twist of Faith. I enjoyed it to a point but the story was too long. I was half way through it and felt like it was time for it to end.

My father-in-law is in the hospital so i’m hoping to find something so engrossing that it takes my mind off things for a bit.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,165,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Just finished AJ Jacobs "It's All Relative".
Me too! Anybody interested in genealogy will enjoy this. Very humorous writing. About the world family tree.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:45 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,342,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I also have that on my list and I'm pretty sure I got it from here.

I started one last night that you might like:
Break Up: The End of a Love Story by Catherine Texier
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

I finished this last night. What a gut wrenching real memoir of the last year of a marriage. This is a tangled web of Catherine's feelings when she finds out her husband has cheated on her and is planning to move out. She goes through many stages as she still loves him. Sorrow, anger, calmness, confusion, and acceptance.

I wasn't sure I liked it at first but it kept me turning the pages. It is an emotional roller coaster.

I also read A Trip to the Hardware Store & Other Calamities which at one time was a freebie. Meh...it wasn't so great. Just a really quick read of some "funny" stories. I only liked the one about having a group dinner in today's world. It's pretty hard to do with people's allergies, illnesses, and pickiness.

Now I am finally reading An Invisible Thread: The True Story of an 11-Year-Old Panhandler, a Busy Sales Executive, and an Unlikely Meeting with Destiny
This kind of story is right up my alley. I also found out that Laura went to my High School.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,960,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Now I am finally reading An Invisible Thread: The True Story of an 11-Year-Old Panhandler, a Busy Sales Executive, and an Unlikely Meeting with Destiny
This kind of story is right up my alley. I also found out that Laura went to my High School.
How cool! Small world.

Also: I loved that book. Really nice story.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:25 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,340,945 times
Have just started with Charisma by Michael Coney, a sci-fi novel about parallel worlds, published in 1975. Quite some years since I last read this. The early and mid 1970s were a great time for me to really get into science fiction writings, as I was discovering authors such as Brian Aldiss and Christopher Priest.

I'm also part-way through Years of Infamy: The Untold Story of America’s Concentration Camps, written by Michi Weglyn, who, with her family, was interned at a Relocation Center in Arizona from 1942 to 1944. Not always an easy read, but a thorough history, this was another one that I found in a used-book store in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books