Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 04:51 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,355,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Just finished "Sons and Soldiers" about German born Jews who managed to get into the US during the 30s and became part of US Army intelligence highly secret unit called the "Ritchie Boys" from the camp they were trained....
Gives the backgrounds of several specific young men and their war experiences---
Very interesting
This sounds like it's right up my street! It gets excellent reviews on Amazon too.

There's a UK edition, so I'll be looking for 'Sons and Soldiers' now. Thank you for the tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 05:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Just finished "Sons and Soldiers" about German born Jews who managed to get into the US during the 30s and became part of US Army intelligence highly secret unit called the "Ritchie Boys" from the camp they were trained....

Just bought for my kindle $1.99 today. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
This sounds like it's right up my street! It gets excellent reviews on Amazon too.

There's a UK edition, so I'll be looking for 'Sons and Soldiers' now. Thank you for the tip.
I found it through a daily email I get w book suggestions on sale called BookBub
Many on the list I am not interested in but sometimes get lucky and this was one of those times

Have read quite a bit about difficulty of Jews getting out of Getmany and other counties
Some of this was familiar but still interesting
Never heard of the "Ritchie Boy" program though

The writing itself was not same quality as "Boys in the Boat"
About in par w/ the book about the Army unit that saved the looted art the Nazis stole

Old 02-11-2018, 08:41 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
I'm about half way through with The Best of Us by Joyce Maynard. I hardly know what to say. I love her writing, but I don't love her. In fact, I find her self-centered, narcissistic and a bit mean.

I understand that it is a memoir, and if you can't be self-centered in a memoir, when can you? But still - I feel like her telling of painful memories that involve the adult children of her now deceased husband is cruel. Those people didn't ask to be included in her book and have their words and actions judged by others long after they could make amends for any hurt that they might have caused their father.

I doubt I will finish this one. I know how it ends - Jim dies and Joyce writes about it in beautiful and hurtful words.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:03 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times
Quote:
I found it through a daily email I get w book suggestions on sale called BookBub
Many on the list I am not interested in but sometimes get lucky and this was one of those times

Have read quite a bit about difficulty of Jews getting out of Getmany and other counties
Some of this was familiar but still interesting
Never heard of the "Ritchie Boy" program though

The writing itself was not same quality as "Boys in the Boat"
About in par w/ the book about the Army unit that saved the looted art the Nazis stole
Thanks for this. It looks interesting. I see that there is a DVD called The Ritchie Boys from PBS, I think. Maybe that's why they couldn't use that name. I agree with your earlier comment that Sons and whatever (I can't even remember the title enough to write this) is lackluster and forgettable.

I actually thought Boys in the Boat was not as good as Unbroken.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:56 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
OK...here are the ones I want to read first:

Cowboy and His Elephant by Malcolm MacPherson because I love elephants and cowboys are kind of hot also
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

Ha, ha...I still say it's because I don't watch TV and as Mike and I are getting older we take more breaks, lol.
That one sounds like a good story. And yes, the typical picture we have of cowboys are hot
I don't watch TV during the week but don't make it through so many books

@ Lisa - I've read a few of Mayve Binchy's books (Silver Wedding, Lilac Bus, Quentins, Echoes, Scarlet Feather). They are really nice and easy going books set in Ireland but not overwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

I watch about six TV shows -- not enough to cut into my reading time, really -- but I think that my problem is that I'm a pauser. After almost every chapter, I put the book down and do something else. Then come back to it for another chapter, maybe two. Rinse, repeat. It can take me almost forever to read a book that way, but my attention span is... oh! look! shiny!
I watch TV only at the weekends with hubby. But my problem is that books are the best sleeping pill ever. There are only very few books keeping me up at night. They can be really really exciting but I fall asleep within 20-30 minutes anyway

Hubby is away at work from Mondays to Thursdays and I really use the time by going to bed to read early on Mondays (about 8 p.m.) but I just don't make it past 9:30

Old 02-12-2018, 04:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
But my problem is that books are the best sleeping pill ever. There are only very few books keeping me up at night. They can be really really exciting but I fall asleep within 20-30 minutes anyway
Same here!! I get all comfortable on the couch or in bed and -- it doesn't matter how good the book is -- I'll fall asleep. It doesn't even have to be nighttime; this happens to me on Saturday afternoons too.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:12 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
That one sounds like a good story. And yes, the typical picture we have of cowboys are hot
I don't watch TV during the week but don't make it through so many books

@ Lisa - I've read a few of Mayve Binchy's books (Silver Wedding, Lilac Bus, Quentins, Echoes, Scarlet Feather). They are really nice and easy going books set in Ireland but not overwhelming.
I think that one will be a good one I will give one of the MB books you mentioned a try. How is yours going?

Quote:
But my problem is that books are the best sleeping pill ever. There are only very few books keeping me up at night. They can be really really exciting but I fall asleep within 20-30 minutes anyway

Hubby is away at work from Mondays to Thursdays and I really use the time by going to bed to read early on Mondays (about 8 p.m.) but I just don't make it past 9:30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Same here!! I get all comfortable on the couch or in bed and -- it doesn't matter how good the book is -- I'll fall asleep. It doesn't even have to be nighttime; this happens to me on Saturday afternoons too.

The same thing happens to me even when it is a good book. It's the worst when I am reading a heavy hardcover. My hands have let go as I nod off and the darned book ends up dropping to my chest and face One of these days I'm going ot knock myself out

Old 02-12-2018, 02:33 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Has anyone read this by Lisa See: The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane

or: We Were Thee Lucky Ones, by Georgia Hunter

Good reviews, but we all know how that turns out sometimes. thx

Old 02-12-2018, 07:39 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Has anyone read this by Lisa See: The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane

or: We Were Thee Lucky Ones, by Georgia Hunter

Good reviews, but we all know how that turns out sometimes. thx
I have both in my TBR pile, but sadly, have not yet read either. I sure hope they're good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books