Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2018, 10:48 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times

Advertisements

I'm currently reading Myths from Mesopotamia, by Stephanie Dalley. It's a collection of stories about creation, the Flood, the Epic of Gilgamesh, and more. It's an interesting and informative read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 11:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
"A Christmas Message" by Anne Perry.

Prior to that was "Agatha Raisin and The Witches Tree" by M.C. Beaton

Old 02-14-2018, 10:10 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I finally finished A Gentleman in Moscow and rate it as one of the best works of fiction I've read in a long time.

Started The Fireman by Joe Hill last night. It's long, but I think it will go quickly.
I want to go back and re-read A Gentleman in Moscow. I read it on my Kindle and had a hard time keeping up with some names and I'm pretty sure I missed some of the joy.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:36 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I started Last Train to Zona Verde by Paul Theroux for March book club.
It's about his travels to Africa. He's a good writer and it's pretty good, but not enthralling.

I had read his Deep South a while ago when I was on my South kick and thought it was really a great read-----so I was really looking forward to this one. It's definitely worthwhile but just not drawing me in as much.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:40 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I want to go back and re-read A Gentleman in Moscow. I read it on my Kindle and had a hard time keeping up with some names and I'm pretty sure I missed some of the joy.
I will probably reread it someday, too. And I may make a chart about where the employees work in the hotel because their names are confusing. Such a great book.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:16 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I think that one will be a good one I will give one of the MB books you mentioned a try. How is yours going?

The same thing happens to me even when it is a good book. It's the worst when I am reading a heavy hardcover. My hands have let go as I nod off and the darned book ends up dropping to my chest and face One of these days I'm going ot knock myself out
Light a Penny Candle is going nicely. It's about a girl who is sent to her mother's friend in Ireland during WWII and about the friendship that grows between her and her mother's friend's ( is this correct writing?) daughter. How different they are when the girl arrives, how they live together and what happens when she returns to London. I quite enjoy it. Even though I have my moments of not understanding the Irish slang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I finally finished A Gentleman in Moscow and rate it as one of the best works of fiction I've read in a long time.

Started The Fireman by Joe Hill last night. It's long, but I think it will go quickly.
I have A Gentleman in Moscow on my TBR list and just ordered The Fireman. Haven't read anything by Joe Hill yet and I'm intrigued!

Happy weekend to all of you!

Old 02-16-2018, 05:09 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
I am right now reading The Race Against History: The Mission to Build a Jewish Army in America to Fight Hitler by Rick Richman. It is quite a good book, about the Jacob Jabotinksy, Chaim Weitzman and David Ben Gurion to involve the Jews on an official level in the fight against the Nazis.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:14 AM

829 posts, read 411,090 times
Just finished "Midwinter Break" by Bernard MacLaverty https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...idwinter-break

Enjoyed the book although somewhat let down by the ending. But that seems to be a running theme for me...

Old 02-16-2018, 06:28 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I just started Asymmetry by Lisa Halliday. It's her debut novel. I actually have a bunch of debut novels on my Kindle.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:23 PM

385 posts, read 205,486 times
I completed The Broken Girls by Simone St. James.

The "clever and wonderfully chilling" (Fiona Barton) suspense novel from the award-winning author of The Haunting of Maddy Clare...

Vermont, 1950. There's a place for the girls whom no one wants--the troublemakers, the illegitimate, the too smart for their own good. It's called Idlewild Hall. And in the small town where it's located, there are rumors that the boarding school is haunted. Four roommates bond over their whispered fears, their budding friendship blossoming--until one of them mysteriously disappears. . . .

Vermont, 2014. As much as she's tried, journalist Fiona Sheridan cannot stop revisiting the events surrounding her older sister's death. Twenty years ago, her body was found lying in the overgrown fields near the ruins of Idlewild Hall. And though her sister's boyfriend was tried and convicted of murder, Fiona can't shake the suspicion that something was never right about the case.

When Fiona discovers that Idlewild Hall is being restored by an anonymous benefactor, she decides to write a story about it. But a shocking discovery during the renovations will link the loss of her sister to secrets that were meant to stay hidden in the past--and a voice that won't be silenced. . . .

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. WOW WOW WOW! Fantastic book. Definitely going to get more from her.

An Amazon Best Book of February 2018: In Kristin Hannah’s The Great Alone, a damaged vet named Ernt Allbright returns from Vietnam and moves his family to the wilds of Alaska to start their lives anew. Initially it's a welcome change, but as winter approaches, and Ernt's mental state deteriorates, his wife and daughter find themselves in an increasingly precarious position. Leni and Cora are the heart of what is as much a mother-daughter love story as it is a pressure cooker of a page-turner. Together they reckon not only with the elements, but with some bad decisions, born from the stubborn faith that Ernt will somehow be restored to the person he was before the war. It’s a testament to Hannah’s compassionate storytelling that you’ll be hard-pressed to call him a villain; Ernt actually shares the same Achilles heel as the rest of the Allbright clan: they do not know how to ask for, or receive, help (so much so, you just want to shake them). Fortunately the cavalry comes anyway, including a homesteader named “Large Marge” who doesn’t suffer fools (or domestic abusers). The muse of The Great Alone is clearly Alaska--in all its untamed, stunningly beautiful, dangerous glory. It provides the perfect backdrop for an equally dramatic tale, one that feels remarkably current for the 1970s setting. But Hannah’s latest also harkens to her mega bestselling The Nightingale: it highlights the heroics of everyday people, especially women. And it’s just a damn good read. --Erin Kodicek, Amazon Book Review

I liked The Broken Girls, I LOVED The Great Alone. I loved the description of Alaska, it is breathtaking. I loved the relationship between Lenora and her mother...not the abuse, the love they had for each other.

I completed reading the Queen of Hearts Trilogy by Colleen Oakes. I love how descriptive she is. I stopped several times while reading just to read the passage a couple more times. Such beautiful description.

QUEEN OF HEARTS Readers get a peek into the story behind the darkly twisted world of Wonderland before Alice arrived. Fifteen-year-old Princess Dinah, heir to the throne of Wonderland, tries to navigate her way to power around the ruthlessly brutal King; her half-sister, Vittore; her much adored "mad" brother Charles, who is the direct heir, but not able to take on the responsibilities of the throne; and an interesting hierarchy of characters who are either in support of or in opposition to her becoming the "Queen of Hearts" once she turns 18. In The Crown, readers catch a glimpse of the causes of the future Queen's anger-management issues and mistrust of people. Surrounded by few friends and numerous enemies—with the shape-shifter and king's advisor Cheshire being the most dangerous of all—Dinah lives in constant fear and is forced to hide her true feelings for mere survival. In The Wonder, Dinah is in exile, hiding from the king's assassins, and purported to be a traitor and murderer. Oakes expertly expands the children's classic into a complex and compelling series of plot twists that uncover the future Queen of Hearts's true origins. The author fleshes out some of the quirks in Carroll's work and adds more depth to the source material's secondary characters. Familiarity with the original isn't necessary, but will add richness to this tale. VERDICT Complete with a mad tea party in the woods, this cinematic series has just the right amount of fantasy and epic suspense to keep even the strongest of hearts on the edge of their seats.

BLOOD OF WONDERLAND Revolution is rising in Wonderland. Dinah’s battle has begun.
Colleen Oakes’s twisted reimagining of the Queen of Hearts origin story continues in this thrilling sequel, Blood of Wonderland.
Dinah has been exiled from Wonderland. The vicious father she always feared has framed her for the brutal murder of her brother and turned the kingdom against her.
Now hiding in the lush and mysterious Twisted Wood with only her war steed at her side, Dinah is faced with a choice—to leave Wonderland forever, or stay and fight her father for the throne.
When a chance encounter with one of her father’s long-lost enemies brings Dinah more allies than she ever could have imagined, war starts to feel inevitable. But before Dinah can lead her people into combat, she must confront certain truths about her heart and her destiny—no matter how dark those truths may be.
Don’t miss War of the Cards, the epic conclusion to the Queen of Hearts trilogy.

Colleen Oakes’s twisted reimagining of the Queen of Hearts origin story comes to a thrilling conclusion in War of the Cards.
Dinah has lost everyone she ever loved. Her brother was brutally murdered. The wicked man she believed was her father betrayed her. Her loyal subjects have been devastated by war. And the boy she gave her heart to broke it completely.
Now a dark queen has risen out of the ashes of her former life. Fury is blooming inside Dinah, poisoning her soul and twisting her mind. All she has left is Wonderland and her crown, and her obsession to fight for both. But the war rages on and Dinah could inherit a blood-stained throne. Can a leader filled with love and rage ever be the ruler her kingdom needs? Or will her all-consuming wrath bring Wonderland to its knees?
This is not a story of happily ever after.
This is the story of the Queen of Hearts.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am now reading The Wonder by Emma Donaghue he Wonder by Emma Donoghue is a masterfully written mystery, and the detective is a young English nurse who has been hired to come in as an outside observer to determine the validity of the claim of a rural Irish family that their eleven year old daughter has taken no food for four months, and yet, is miraculously thriving. This nurse, Lib, expresses well the prejudices of the English towards the Irish and their beliefs. (The novel takes place not long after the end of the Great Potato Famine, and so there are intense feelings between the two cultures.) The focus of the story is on a young girl, Anna, who is seen locally as being specially blessed by God, and yet, as the story unfolds we come to see that she represents a perfect storm of pressures arising from devotion to God and religious fanaticism, love of family and family dysfunction. Lib, as a well-trained nurse, arrives with total skepticism, assuming that the child herself is perpetuating this hoax, but Anna's simplicity and purity of heart gradually win Lib over. The challenge then becomes: How to keep this child alive? As with all good mysteries, just about every character has ulterior motives of one kind or another to want the phenomena to be real... the priest, the doctor, the innkeeper, the parents. It is only the trust that slowly builds between Lib and Anna that creates a ray of hope. So much happens towards the end of the book that I was transfixed. The book gave me much to ponder about how children are influenced, for good or ill, by those around them. After finishing it, I immediately went back to read the last three chapters again so I could better appreciate all that contributed to Anna's dire situation. This is a very worthwhile read.

Then I will complete Crazy Rich Asians by Keven Kwon. The acclaimed international bestseller ("A dizzily shopaholic comedy." --The New York Times) soon to be a MAJOR MOTION PICTURE starring Constance Wu, Henry Golding, Michelle Yeoh and Gemma Chan!

When New Yorker Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, she envisions a humble family home and quality time with the man she hopes to marry. But Nick has failed to give his girlfriend a few key details. One, that his childhood home looks like a palace; two, that he grew up riding in more private planes than cars; and three, that he just happens to be the country’s most eligible bachelor.

On Nick’s arm, Rachel may as well have a target on her back the second she steps off the plane, and soon, her relaxed vacation turns into an obstacle course of old money, new money, nosy relatives, and scheming social climbers.

I also grabbed Church of Marvels by Leslie Parry. Odile and Belle have grown up on Coney Island with their mother, who runs a sideshow and where Belle is a featured performer. When tragedy strikes the Church of Marvels and Belle disappears, Odile goes looking for her. She has never been to Manhattan and her search will bring her into contact with a series of strangers who will ultimately help her unravel the mysteries behind her sister’s disappearance. A well-written mystery that will not leave you wanting at the end.

I swapped for Soundless by Richelle Mead. (Along with The Wonder and Crazy Rich Asians) For as long as Fei can remember, there has been no sound in her village, where rocky terrain and frequent avalanches prevent residents from self-sustaining. Fei and her people are at the mercy of a zipline that carries food up the treacherous cliffs from Beiguo, a mysterious faraway kingdom.

When villagers begin to lose their sight, deliveries from the zipline shrink and many go hungry. Fei’s home, the people she loves, and her entire existence is plunged into crisis, under threat of darkness and starvation.

But soon Fei is awoken in the night by a searing noise, and sound becomes her weapon.

Richelle Mead takes readers on a triumphant journey from the peak of Fei’s jagged mountain village to the valley of Beiguo, where a startling truth and an unlikely romance will change her life forever....

My daughter also has The Hazelwood and The Queen's Rising next week in her book boxes.

Happy Reading!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books