Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 09:14 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,579 posts, read 17,923,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I have been reading but not posting about the books I've read. My dog died in January and it hit me very hard. So one of the books that I really enjoyed was The One-in-a-Million Boy. I recommend it for anyone who enjoyed The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. https://www.amazon.com/One-Million-B...-a-million+boy

I thought it was a five star book.

And then there was The Summit, which unexpectedly gripped me. I didn't think the writing was that good but the storyline just carried me away even when some things seemed implausible (like the Fireman book, Marlow). https://www.amazon.com/Summit-Novel-...rds=The+summit
I loved the One In a Million Boy, and passed it on to a friend who didn't care for it. I just thought the story was good, and the writing so cleverly done, interspersing the old lady's recordings with standard text. I also liked the Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 11:03 AM

829 posts, read 410,627 times
Just finished "The Story of Arthur Truluv" by Elizabeth Berg https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-arthur-truluv

This was an easy and enjoyable read.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:34 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,796,788 times
Default Make it so!

Empire from the ashes / David Weber, 1952-, c2003, Baen Books

Subjects
Space warfare -- Fiction.
War stories, American.

Notes
Mutineer's moon - Armageddon - Heirs of empire.
Length - 774 pages ;

Collecting the three SF novels under Notes above, into a single publication. Weber before Honor Harrington. An SF equivalent of comfort food, I think I'd read all three before. These three fall into what's usually called space opera - an entertaining read, a pleasant diversion.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:37 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Taking a short break from reading...

Old 03-01-2018, 11:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Taking a short break from reading...
What? WHAT?

(pause)

See you here tomorrow!

Old 03-01-2018, 11:55 AM

3,880 posts, read 4,533,112 times
Default A non fiction...

2 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan Peterson

Fascinating

Old 03-01-2018, 01:13 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading "Directive 99" by Judith Rolfs. It's well written and I can see the writing on the wall.

It's a slightly dystopian medical (let's kill all the old people) thriller because their care costs too much. It reminds me of something that Robin Cook would write and I like Robin Cook's books. I'm not far into the book but I like it. What is really unsettling about the story is that it actually could happen in a political climate not much different than what we have today in the U.S.
I didn't exactly finish this book. I still think it is a good one but I'm no longer in the mood for it. I will come back to it.

Many thanks to those who recommended "The Great Alone: A Novel" by Kristin Hannah. I started it this morning and I love it so far.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:34 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,097,608 times
Just finished Still Alice last night. I know it is not new but it was new to me. I never saw the movie either.
I've been thinking about this book all day today as my grandmother has Alzheimer's and this book definitely helped me understand her more.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:41 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Just finished Still Alice last night. I know it is not new but it was new to me. I never saw the movie either.
I've been thinking about this book all day today as my grandmother has Alzheimer's and this book definitely helped me understand her more.
Maybe it'll be too much understanding but this was even better than Still Alice. This novel showed me what my grandparents were likely experiencing. I didn't love the mystery aspect of the story but it's still one of the best books that I've read: Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante.

I'm sorry that your grandmother is affected. I consider it a family's disease since it truly hurts everyone in the family.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:22 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I thought that was an excellent book. I like Lisa Genova books. I have learned about different diseases through her stories.

Still Alice was the best but I also liked Left Neglected and Inside The O'Briens.

I finished House Rules by Jodi Picoult. I really liked the characters in this story and learned a lot about Aspergers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books