Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 11:10 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Did you mention it here? The title looked familiar. The book was a kindle daily deal when I bought it.
The One-in-a-Million Boy, you mean? I definitely would have mentioned it here, yeah, since I loved it so much.

Just looked for it:

The doubt when I started it: https://www.city-data.com/forum/44319236-post17380.html
The reversal of doubt when I finished it: https://www.city-data.com/forum/44340779-post17398.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 12:43 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
The One-in-a-Million Boy, you mean? I definitely would have mentioned it here, yeah, since I loved it so much.

Just looked for it:

The doubt when I started it: https://www.city-data.com/forum/44319236-post17380.html
The reversal of doubt when I finished it: https://www.city-data.com/forum/44340779-post17398.html
Ha! I also thought at first that this was not my type of book - that it wasn't gritty enough.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:50 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oh, pinetreelover, you love short stories, right? I came across this, which is supposed to be terrific: Back Talk by Danielle Lazarin.
You are right, Dawn! I'm the short-story lover and as soon as Amazon delivery rolls in the driveway, I'll be enjoying this collection! Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 03-09-2018, 12:58 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I really enjoyed that book.
Great!! I popped over here looking for something and I think this is it

Old 03-09-2018, 01:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
On a sad note, my Kindle left me.

Our relationship started out strong and I really thought we were made for each other, or at least I felt like my Kindle was meeting all of my needs. Looking back,maybe there were red flags. I didn't seem to have the same joy for reading that I did with a "real" book, but I told myself that it would get better and that I needed to be more open to change.

It didn't get better and we continued to struggle. My Kindle accused me of using him/her only when I wanted things to be easy and I didn't want to commit to hauling a big book around. Then there was the disaster that I can only refer to as the "Gentleman in Moscow incident" when I accused My Kindle of ruining a perfectly good book for me. After that, we decided to take a break.

Last week, I reached out to My Kindle and said "Let's try this again" - I appreciate what you bring to my life and won't hold the whole Moscow thing against you anymore. With $11.95 and a Whisper Click from Amazon we were back together just like old times.

Until, our flight home from a trip to Florida and at only 31% into Little Fires Everywhere, My Kindle left me. Just never got off the plane apparently - hid in seat 19A and let me leave on my own.

It's officially over. We won't/can't try again. Good-bye Kindle - I hope we both find happiness.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

Our relationship started out strong and I really thought we were made for each other, or at least I felt like my Kindle was meeting all of my needs. Looking back,maybe there were red flags. I didn't seem to have the same joy for reading that I did with a "real" book, but I told myself that it would get better and that I needed to be more open to change.

It didn't get better and we continued to struggle. My Kindle accused me of using him/her only when I wanted things to be easy and I didn't want to commit to hauling a big book around. Then there was the disaster that I can only refer to as the "Gentleman in Moscow incident" when I accused My Kindle of ruining a perfectly good book for me. After that, we decided to take a break.

Last week, I reached out to My Kindle and said "Let's try this again" - I appreciate what you bring to my life and won't hold the whole Moscow thing against you anymore. With $11.95 and a Whisper Click from Amazon we were back together just like old times.

Until, our flight home from a trip to Florida and at only 31% into Little Fires Everywhere, My Kindle left me. Just never got off the plane apparently - hid in seat 19A and let me leave on my own.

It's officially over. We won't/can't try again. Good-bye Kindle - I hope we both find happiness.
Bahahaha!!!!

RIP, Kindle.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:24 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:

I've just never been able to get into kindle. But I'm dying of curiosity -- what the heck happened with Moscow where the book was ruined?

Old 03-09-2018, 09:02 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default A clear-eyed view of the World

No time to spare : thinking about what matters / Ursula K. Le Guin, 1929-2018; introduction by Karen Joy Fowler. C2017, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 814.6 LEGU

Subjects
• Aging.
• Old age.
• Literature.
• United States -- Civilization.

Notes
• Part one: Going over eighty. In your spare time ; The sissy strikes back ; The diminished thing ; Catching up, ha ha -- The Annals of Pard. Choosing a cat ; Chosen by a cat -- Part two: The lit biz. Would you please ****ing stop? ; Readers' questions ; Kids' letters ; Having my cake ; Papa H ; A much-needed literary award ; TGAN and TGOW ; TGAN again ; The narrative gift as a moral conundrum ; It doesn't have to be the way it is ; Utopiyin, utopiyang -- The Annals of Pard. The trouble ; Pard and the time machine -- Part three: Trying to make sense of it. A band of brothers, a stream of sisters ; Exorcists ; Uniforms ; Clinging desperately to a metaphor ; Lying it all away ; The inner child and the nude politician ; A modest proposal: vegempathy ; Belief in belief ; About anger -- The Annals of Pard. An unfinished education ; An unfinished education, continued ; Doggerel for my cat -- Part four: Rewards. The circling stars, the sea surrounding : Philip Glass and John Luther Adams ; Rehearsal ; Someone named Delores ; Without egg ; Notre-Dame de la Faim ; The tree ; The horsies upstairs ; First contact ; The lynx ; Notes from a week at a ranch in the Oregon high desert.

Summary
• "From acclaimed author Ursula K. Le Guin, a collection of thoughts--always adroit, often acerbic--on aging, belief, the state of literature, and the state of the nation"-- Provided by publisher.

Length
• xx, 215 pages :

Alternate Titles
• Essays. Selections

A valedictory, of sorts. Le Guin died just recently. Wonderful writing, on a wide variety of topics. She’s best known for science fiction/fantasy, but was a very capable writer on many topics. The World is poorer for her absence, but her work will endure.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:

Oh no kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I've just never been able to get into kindle. But I'm dying of curiosity -- what the heck happened with Moscow where the book was ruined?
I'm not sure what happened with pinetreelover but I know it is very hard and sometimes frustrating to read some books on a Kindle. If you need to see a "map" at the front/back of the book, if there are definitions or translations on a certain page, if you forget a character and want to jump back to find them the kindle is a pita to do those things Sometimes you just need to be able to scroll though the pages and chapters.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:06 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I’m on a Mary Higgins Clark binge right now. I’ve got 2 on the kindle and one from the library. I can’t even tell you the titles, and it kind of doesn’t matter. They are always good mysteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books