Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 06:23 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Sometimes a beautiful title will woo me. Sometimes the cover art (even though I'll read it on a Kindle) will pull me closer. This time it was both.
I just started -- only 3% in; give me time! -- Once Upon a Time a Sparrow by Mary Avery Kabrich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Agree on both. Let us know.
For me, at least, the gorgeous title and cover art were the best part. I gave up at 12%. It's not a bad story; it's just not something that I'm enjoying.

I'm going to try Educated, a memoir by Tara Westover now to see if that's a better fit for me.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 03-13-2018 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 06:36 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm starting One in a Million Boy tonight!
Enjoy it. That book had so many "voices" and perspectives that it was a really, really clever read.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:56 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,949 times
Quote:
For me, at least, the gorgeous title and cover art were the best part. I gave up at 12%. It's not a bad story; it's just not something that I'm enjoying.

I'm going to try Educated, a memoir by Tara Westover now to see if that's a better fit for me.
Lucky you! I just read the review of "Educated" in the New York Times yesterday. I hope it's as good as it sounds. I've already added it to my list and if you like it I'll move it up in the queue. Somehow I don't think it deserves to be at the end of the line.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:29 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Sometimes a beautiful title will woo me. Sometimes the cover art (even though I'll read it on a Kindle) will pull me closer. This time it was both.
I just started -- only 3% in; give me time! -- Once Upon a Time a Sparrow by Mary Avery Kabrich.
That's why I try to avoid bookstores I love a beautiful cover and cannot leave the most beautiful books in the store.
When shopping online it's not that bad. But even though I wanted to have a little break I'm expecting a new package today. I've ordered:

Ghost Train to the Eastern Star: On the Tracks of The Great Railway by Paul Theroux

The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton (I believe somebody of you has mentioned it a few days ago).

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton

Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier

Shtum by Jem Lester.

DH hopes that Night Train to Lisbon doesn't end in us having a vacation trip on a train someday

I want to finish Sharp Objects today. It's a quick ready but basically not my cup of tea. Next on the line will be The Woman in Cabin 10. I'm curious about it since it's gotten many good reviews in the last months.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:11 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Love Robt Crais....so funny. Glad to see a new book...
I finished it and enjoyed it. Robert Crais never disappoints. Now if he would write a small cookbook. I love Elvis's simple recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
This is why I enjoy the historical fiction to much- I found history very boring as a subject at school but to get all the background knowledge about daily life and such is so appealing to me. ( I might not totally follow the actual story but love the background).....thank you for posting this.
I liked history in school but I didn't retain a lot of it. I think it had to do more with age and not really caring as much I love historical stories now. They do make history much more interesting and enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
After reading a few days posts I went to Barnes & Noble and picked up 3 books

Gentleman in Moscow Amor Towles
In the Unlikely Event Judy Blume
Woman in the Window AJ Finn

Sheeesh books are pricey, not at home so library not an option.

Now looking for some historical fiction with St Petersburg Russia as setting before my trip there in August
I picked up Woman in the Window yesterday. That is next.

Ooh...neat trip. You'll have to keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I just finished up Educated, which was very good. I started The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump, which is a compilation of pieces from 27 people who are mostly mental health professionals discussing Trump. It is interesting and gives some insight, but it is fairly repetitive and I feel like I have heard/read most of it already.

It's a pretty quick read, and I happened to pick it up at the library, so I wanted to read it right away so I don't have to return it without reading it (which has happened several times recently.)
Educated is ready for me to also pick up. I'm drowning in books...not a bad thing I think I need to return some of my older less popular books and concentrate on the newer holds so I don't tie people up who are waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Beartown by Fredrik Backman, for my book group. He is such a good writer, and kudos to the translator, who manages to keep the humorous parts laugh out loud funny.
I liked that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I just finished an oldie whodunit by Mary Higgins Clark, "On the Street Where You Live". Very good, a bit drawn out, but filled the time until I received "One in a Million Boy" which is on the end table waiting. Then I have "Woman in the Window" coming this week at some point. The vacuuming and dusting can wait.
I love MHC when she first came out. I haven't read her books in a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
I really enjoyed Beartown, much more than I thought I would. There's a sequal coming out in a few months,which I already have reserved at my library!

https://www.amazon.com/Us-Against-Yo...redrik+backman
Yay...I saw that

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm starting One in a Million Boy tonight!
That is a sweet story.

I am almost finished with Year One by Nora Roberts which is a completely new kind of book for her. It is the first year of the new world after a virus wipes out most of the population. A group of about 300 people have started a new world with some of the survivors. Other than than the magickes NR paints a very realistic picture. The characters are great and it is a fast book to read. I probably should have waited for her to write the whole series before I read this one as I will be left hanging for the next stories....which i think will be about the "new" generation of the babies being born in this one.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:26 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default The heart is a lonely hunter

Finished Hidden figures. Excellent book, on the Black women mathematicians who joined Langley (the forerunner of NASA) in Jim Crow Virginia, from 1942 to John Glenn's orbit. Was also a movie, but the book tells more of the story & paints a broader picture. Surprising twists & turns, & clearly there was a terrible waste of valuable minds & hearts before slavery was ended.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:14 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,989 times
I was given Woo Woo, A Cape Charles Novel by Joe Coccaro.

Opening quote is "You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."~Mark Twain

I can't wait to read it but don't want to start it until I get my first warm lazy beach day.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:58 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

I am almost finished with Year One by Nora Roberts which is a completely new kind of book for her. It is the first year of the new world after a virus wipes out most of the population. A group of about 300 people have started a new world with some of the survivors. Other than than the magickes NR paints a very realistic picture. The characters are great and it is a fast book to read. I probably should have waited for her to write the whole series before I read this one as I will be left hanging for the next stories....which i think will be about the "new" generation of the babies being born in this one.
Would that be a good choice for readers who don't like the usual Nora Roberts books? I have tried reading her before and my eyes just glazed over but the theme sounds like it would interest me, I've just been unsure because her books are not usually my thing.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:47 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I started The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh last night. So far it's sad but the writing is fine. I have a minor gripe in that at one point it sounded like the main character had been homeless for multiple days but on the next page it had only been two days. That kind of thing can put me off a book so I hope it was an anomaly.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:46 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Would that be a good choice for readers who don't like the usual Nora Roberts books? I have tried reading her before and my eyes just glazed over but the theme sounds like it would interest me, I've just been unsure because her books are not usually my thing.
It's a very good book, netwit. I finished it last week and totally enjoyed it. This is in no way like Roberts' other books. She wanted to step into the apocalypse genre and so she has.

I think you would enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books