Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 04:39 PM

443 posts, read 437,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Next on the line will be The Woman in Cabin 10. I'm curious about it since it's gotten many good reviews in the last months.
I'm curious to know your opinion on this after you read it. It wasn't as thrilling as I thought it was going to be but I feel like I'm in the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 07:13 PM

525 posts, read 279,143 times
The most recent book I read was the last Harry Potter book (Deathly Hallows).

Old 03-15-2018, 05:10 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Last night I finished In The Unlikely Event ( Judy Blume) which was a pretty fast read for me because I really enjoyed it. Very interesting and captured the era with so many embellishments. (It mostly took place in the early 50's which is before my time somewhat...).
Next up will be The Zookeeper's Wife. All of a sudden all my kindle requests from the library are coming available. I also got word that one of the Little House -- Little Town on the Prairie books is available. So busy!

Old 03-15-2018, 05:19 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Would that be a good choice for readers who don't like the usual Nora Roberts books? I have tried reading her before and my eyes just glazed over but the theme sounds like it would interest me, I've just been unsure because her books are not usually my thing.
It is different than her usual and I would give it a try if I was you. The only thing that is the same are the "uncannys." Many of NR's books have magical creatures in them and the fight between the light and dark sides. "But" this one is he first apocalyptic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
It's a very good book, netwit. I finished it last week and totally enjoyed it. This is in no way like Roberts' other books. She wanted to step into the apocalypse genre and so she has.

I think you would enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I started The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh last night. So far it's sad but the writing is fine. I have a minor gripe in that at one point it sounded like the main character had been homeless for multiple days but on the next page it had only been two days. That kind of thing can put me off a book so I hope it was an anomaly.
I loved learning the meanings behind the flowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Last night I finished In The Unlikely Event ( Judy Blume) which was a pretty fast read for me because I really enjoyed it. Very interesting and captured the era with so many embellishments. (It mostly took place in the early 50's which is before my time somewhat...).
Next up will be The Zookeeper's Wife. All of a sudden all my kindle requests from the library are coming available. I also got word that one of the Little House -- Little Town on the Prairie books is available. So busy!
I just ordered the Zookeeper's Wife.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:36 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
For no particular reason, I'm giving up on The Language of Flowers. It's just not for me, at least right now. Back to the nightstand to try something else.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:36 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
It is different than her usual and I would give it a try if I was you. The only thing that is the same are the "uncannys." Many of NR's books have magical creatures in them and the fight between the light and dark sides. "But" this one is he first apocalyptic.

I loved learning the meanings behind the flowers.

I just ordered the Zookeeper's Wife.

The Zookeepers Wife! Excellent!!

Old 03-15-2018, 12:11 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Oops...also reading

Chasing King's Killer
Hunt for MLK Jr's Assassin

by James Swanson

Old 03-15-2018, 03:40 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
For no particular reason, I'm giving up on The Language of Flowers. It's just not for me, at least right now. Back to the nightstand to try something else.
I read that one a few years ago and while still under the influence of a book buzz, gave it high praise. Dawn took my recommendation and after reading it said "Bleck" (though she said it with clever, smart words). Never again did I review a book until the book buzz wore off and I could more fairly evaluate it!

Old 03-15-2018, 09:41 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
I finished The Dry by Jane Harper and liked it so much that I went on to read Force of Nature, by the same author and liked this one even better than the first.

I’m now reading A Civil WarCaptain and His Lady by Gene Barr. It is a compilation of letters written back and forth between the Captain and his love. These are actual letters and it’s amazing that they survived the war as most young men burned the letters that they received from home. I just started it and so far it reads more like a history book so not very exciting. I’m anxious to get to the actual letters.

I’m also reading in Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari. It’s very interesting but a book that I have to read in bits and pieces.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:12 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I finished The Dry by Jane Harper and liked it so much that I went on to read Force of Nature, by the same author and liked this one even better than the first.

I’m now reading A Civil WarCaptain and His Lady by Gene Barr. It is a compilation of letters written back and forth between the Captain and his love. These are actual letters and it’s amazing that they survived the war as most young men burned the letters that they received from home. I just started it and so far it reads more like a history book so not very exciting. I’m anxious to get to the actual letters.

I’m also reading in Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari. It’s very interesting but a book that I have to read in bits and pieces.
I have The Dry already waiting on my bookshelf. Now I'm more curious than ever
It's very rare for me that the second book is even better than the first. Good to hear that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books