Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 06:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I finished The Dry by Jane Harper and liked it so much that I went on to read Force of Nature, by the same author and liked this one even better than the first.
Thanks. I bumped The Dry up on my list.

Last night I started The Woman in the Window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 08:22 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I read that one a few years ago and while still under the influence of a book buzz, gave it high praise. Dawn took my recommendation and after reading it said "Bleck" (though she said it with clever, smart words). Never again did I review a book until the book buzz wore off and I could more fairly evaluate it!
I'm not sure why I didn't like The Language of Flowers. The writing was good and the premise was interesting. But the plot simultaneously seemed far-fetched and formulaic. I might give it another try at some point.

I started Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close last night. I don't know anything about it other than it's set around the 9/11 attack in New York, but it made me LOL twice in the first five pages. It's narrated by a smart 9-year-old who reminds me a little of Junie B. Jones. I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:15 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I finished All the Ugly and Wonderful Things in the wee hours and, oh boy! On the one hand I can see why people would rate it so highly (the "I wanted to see where it goes" as Marlow said, coupled with a unique set of characters, but I kept reading, really hoping it wasn't going to go to a particular place, but it did, and I don't think it should have gone there. And chapters are written from the POV of many different characters with more being added as the story played out and it seemed amateurish to me.

I rated it four stars and I'm not sure why. I don't not recommend it but I can imagine it provoking feelings of outrage.

https://www.amazon.com/All-Ugly-Wond...70_&dpSrc=srch

Spoiler
If statutory rape is not your idea of an acceptable romance, you might want to think twice about reading this. It's about a young girl in a crappy home life whom an older guy understands, and she grows up, only not nearly enough, and this is the romance between the "unlikely couple referenced in the reviews.

PS: the more I think about it, the more outraged I become.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:21 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finished All the Ugly and Wonderful Things in the wee hours and, oh boy! On the one hand I can see why people would rate it so highly (the "I wanted to see where it goes" as Marlow said, coupled with a unique set of characters, but I kept reading, really hoping it wasn't going to go to a particular place, but it did, and I don't think it should have gone there. And chapters are written from the POV of many different characters with more being added as the story played out and it seemed amateurish to me.

I rated it four stars and I'm not sure why. I don't not recommend it but I can imagine it provoking feelings of outrage.

Spoiler
If statutory rape is not your idea of an acceptable romance, you might want to think twice about reading this. It's about a young girl in a crappy home life whom an older guy understands, and she grows up, only not nearly enough, and this is the romance between the "unlikely couple referenced in the reviews.

Thanks for the review...I don't need any more reasons to feel outrage

Old 03-16-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Spoiler

I actually thought it was very good, even though it would not be "acceptable" in today's society, and very thought provoking. It would make a great book club discussion. How can we know what that exact situation would be like? I haven't lived it and am thankful for that but what if? They made their own family and it "was" out of love. I think under the circumstances they did the best they could. Without him she might have been died in the book. I cannot judge then for what I have no comprehension of what that would be like to live through. I'm not really condoning it I just think we cannot comprehend those kinds of circumstances.

Anyway if people call You by Caroline Kepnes a romance then this can be accepted.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:00 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I actually thought it was very good, even though it would not be "acceptable" in today's society, and very thought provoking. It would make a great book club discussion. How can we know what that exact situation would be like? I haven't lived it and am thankful for that but what if? They made their own family and it "was" out of love. I think under the circumstances they did the best they could. Without him she might have been died in the book. I cannot judge then for what I have no comprehension of what that would be like to live through. I'm not really condoning it I just think we cannot comprehend those kinds of circumstances.

Anyway if people call You by Caroline Kepnes a romance then this can be accepted.
I can certainly see how it would make for a good discussion. I don't know the book You and looked it up but can't tell whether I'd enjoy it. I seldom read romances, but when I do, I like plenty of sex, so it's not that I'm a prude in reading choices.

I think the writer went to great lengths to make the unacceptable acceptable in how she told the story, but when that's stripped away, what's left is not good by any stretch of the imagination, imo.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:03 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,795,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Last night I started The Woman in the Window.
I saw a movie with the same title with Edward G. Robinson a few years back. Excellent movie!

Old 03-16-2018, 07:04 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,795,443 times
I just finished Escape Artist by Greg Meltzer.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
Thanks for posting about this series. I love medieval historical fiction! I'm adding these 5 books to my wish list. (I had a thread a while back asking for medieval historical fiction).
https://www.city-data.com/forum/books...t-fantasy.html
I think I posted on that--it got fairly long

I just stated first of series I read before by Stephen Vail (Amazon Kindle Unlimited) #1==The Wayward Apprentice...

Last edited by loves2read; 03-16-2018 at 10:14 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
I can certainly see how it would make for a good discussion. I don't know the book You and looked it up but can't tell whether I'd enjoy it. I seldom read romances, but when I do, I like plenty of sex, so it's not that I'm a prude in reading choices.

I think the writer went to great lengths to make the unacceptable acceptable in how she told the story, but when that's stripped away, what's left is not good by any stretch of the imagination, imo.
See good view points Anyway...You is definitely not a romance but some reviewers called it that. He is a stalker and it is a dark thriller. I didn't like it.

Sex is good, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I saw a movie with the same title with Edward G. Robinson a few years back. Excellent movie!
I didn't know that. I will have to check that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books