Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-17-2018, 09:18 AM
 
Location: NYC
443 posts, read 437,458 times
Reputation: 942

Advertisements

Starting Ruth Ware's The Lying Game today. It's been on my TBR pile for a few months now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2018, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Reputation: 28903
I just started The Only Story by Julian Barnes, whose writing I adore*, but I also just found The Voice's blind tryouts on On Demand.

* I mean, seriously, how can you not love this? "She was almost exactly my height, which is five feet nine if I am lying and adding an inch."

Last edited by DawnMTL; 03-18-2018 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Reputation: 62766
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just started The Only Story by Julian Barnes, whose writing I adore*, but I also just found The Voice's blind tryouts on On Demand.

* I mean, seriously, how can you not love this? "She was almost exactly my height, which is five feet nine if I am lying and adding an inch."

That line could also be from The Voice auditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
That line could also be from The Voice auditions.
They must have stole that line from me. When asked, I tell people that I'm 5'3" but I feel 5'4." Hehe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 10:57 PM
 
Location: New York Area
35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Reputation: 30142
Just finished Final Entries 1945: The Diaries of Joseph Goebbels (Paperback)
by Joseph Goebbels

It's hard to give a "rating" to a book by an evil person, and about evil. It's in a piece with The Men Who Lost America: British Leadership, the American Revolution, and the Fate of the Empire
by Andrew O'Shaughnessy, about the much less evil, and eventual American allies, the British. But Goebbels is unapologetic to the end. He talks about Britain, the U.S. and the USSR are destroying everything worthwhile in Germany and for that matter the world. He takes no responsibility for Germany's stirring the pot in such a manner as to make destroying Germany as he and Hitler made it a necessity.

He describes an inverted world where evil is greatness, and good is evil. He demonizes those that tried to surrender so as to gain peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
They must have stole that line from me. When asked, I tell people that I'm 5'3" but I feel 5'4." Hehe.
Hush. I'm 4' 11".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 08:41 AM
 
16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Reputation: 26860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just started The Only Story by Julian Barnes, whose writing I adore*, but I also just found The Voice's blind tryouts on On Demand.

* I mean, seriously, how can you not love this? "She was almost exactly my height, which is five feet nine if I am lying and adding an inch."
That is a great line. Hope the rest of the book holds up!

I was saying last week that I wasn't going to buy any more books until I'd read or discarded all the ones on my nightstand. Well, ahem, we know how that goes. We did a Saturday evening excursion to Half-Price books where I picked up

(1) Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew Sullivan https://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Brig.../dp/1501116843 and

(2) The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra by Vaseem Khan https://www.amazon.com/Unexpected-In.../dp/0316386820

I'm not a big fan of mysteries, but I'm a sucker for book stores and baby elephants. So, we'll see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 12:04 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Reputation: 4925
Default a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

I used to think Bova was kinda dry. Either he's changed, or I have, or we both have. Recently:

Survival / Ben Bova, 1932-

Subjects
Interplanetary voyages -- Fiction.
Life on other planets -- Fiction.

Summary
The Star Quest series continues with Survival. A "human team sent to scout a few hundred light years in front of the death wave encounters a civilization far in advance of our own, a civilization of machine intelligences. The sentient, intelligent machines have existed for eons, and have survived earlier "death waves," gamma ray bursts from the core of the galaxy. They are totally self-sufficient, completely certain that the death wave cannot harm them, and utterly uninterested in helping to save other civilizations, organic or machine. But now that the humans have discovered them, they refuse to allow them to leave their planet, reasoning that other humans will inevitably follow if they learn of their existence."--Provided by Publisher.

Series
Star Quest trilogy ; [3]
Star quest trilogy ;

Length
335 pages ;

This is the 3rd in the trilogy. Now to track down the first two - New Earth & Death wave. Interesting read, on an end-of-the-World scenario. Actually, the end of all sentient life in the Milky Way. Nicely plotted, & the characterizations are better than I remember him doing from before - 1970s CE. Live & learn, sez I. A nice read, smoothly told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
I used to think Bova was kinda dry. Either he's changed, or I have, or we both have. Recently:

Survival / Ben Bova, 1932-

Subjects
Interplanetary voyages -- Fiction.
Life on other planets -- Fiction.

Summary
The Star Quest series continues with Survival. A "human team sent to scout a few hundred light years in front of the death wave encounters a civilization far in advance of our own, a civilization of machine intelligences. The sentient, intelligent machines have existed for eons, and have survived earlier "death waves," gamma ray bursts from the core of the galaxy. They are totally self-sufficient, completely certain that the death wave cannot harm them, and utterly uninterested in helping to save other civilizations, organic or machine. But now that the humans have discovered them, they refuse to allow them to leave their planet, reasoning that other humans will inevitably follow if they learn of their existence."--Provided by Publisher.

Series
Star Quest trilogy ; [3]
Star quest trilogy ;

Length
335 pages ;

This is the 3rd in the trilogy. Now to track down the first two - New Earth & Death wave. Interesting read, on an end-of-the-World scenario. Actually, the end of all sentient life in the Milky Way. Nicely plotted, & the characterizations are better than I remember him doing from before - 1970s CE. Live & learn, sez I. A nice read, smoothly told.
Hmm. Me too (Bova, dry). I'll give this series a whirl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Reputation: 30347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
That is a great line. Hope the rest of the book holds up!

I was saying last week that I wasn't going to buy any more books until I'd read or discarded all the ones on my nightstand. Well, ahem, we know how that goes. We did a Saturday evening excursion to Half-Price books where I picked up

(1) Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew Sullivan https://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Brig.../dp/1501116843 and

(2) The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra by Vaseem Khan https://www.amazon.com/Unexpected-In.../dp/0316386820

I'm not a big fan of mysteries, but I'm a sucker for book stores and baby elephants. So, we'll see!


Loved Midnight....hope you enjoy it, Marlow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top