Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 06:23 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times

Advertisements

I just finished Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate. I was staying at a beach place that had a "Leave one, Take one" shelf and picked this up and read it fast enough to leave it behind for the next renter/reader.

One of my reading pet peeves is an excessive use of dialog or baby/childish talk and this one had it in spades! In fact, there were little toddlers who were uneducated, "river gypsies" so sometimes I got both pet peeves in one sentence!

Yet... I sort of had a soft spot for the story and I kept on flipping the pages! The basic story has some historical basis in a state run adoption program in the depression era that survived off of taking children from economically deprived homes or parents and essentially selling them to wealthy or privileged families. This really happened as awful as it sounds, yet the book was fiction and wove in several other more contemporary tales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 06:16 AM

829 posts, read 410,848 times
Ok, so... It took me a whole year to finally commit to reading Beartown! I checked it out of the library a few times, I will admit, but each time I ended up returning it to the library "unread". Why? Not really interested in sports or hockey I told myself, all of the other books I checked out I was more "interested" in reading and never did get around to Beartown. Then, after some recent nudges on this thread about Beartown, I once again checked the book out of my library and told myself this time this book was "first in line" to be read! WOW!! How I loved this book and its characters! Thanks for all the nudges...it got me to read this book that I may have never read and how sad that would have been to miss out on a really great book! So, if there is anyone else out there who has resisted reading this book, here is your NUDGE!

Next one on deck is a new one by Alice Hoffman "The Rules of Magic". I am excited!

Old 03-22-2018, 08:34 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I downloaded Lisa Genova's latest book "Every Note Played." I'm not quite in the mood for it right now but I will start it soon (probably this afternoon).

Genova wrote "Still Alice", "Left Neglected" and several others. I like this author. Each novel deals with a disease or a condition. Sounds boring, right? They are never boring.

"Every Note Played" is about ALS, Lou Gehrig Disease, and just thinking of that recalls Gehrig's goodbye speech at Yankee Stadium. So, it makes me cry. Is reading about a disease and the people who are dealing with it an act of masochism? I don't think so. Genova has mastered the fine art of writing from and to the heart/brain. Her characters are so fully fleshed out that I wish to know them up-close-and-personal.

The new novel is about a concert pianist who develops the disease and how his ex-wife and daughter deal with him and the entire situation.

I'm looking forward to reading the book. I'll report back.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:15 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Reading Strangers In their Own Land, about why the poorest people vote to have pollution and give money to the rich. So far, I'm even more puzzled than before as to why they do this. But it is an interesting read.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:58 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Just finished A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles, all though I loved and enjoyed the book was not at all fond of the ending.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:02 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
I used to think Bova was kinda dry. Either he's changed, or I have, or we both have. Recently:

Survival / Ben Bova, 1932-

Subjects
Interplanetary voyages -- Fiction.
Life on other planets -- Fiction.

Summary
The Star Quest series continues with Survival. A "human team sent to scout a few hundred light years in front of the death wave encounters a civilization far in advance of our own, a civilization of machine intelligences. The sentient, intelligent machines have existed for eons, and have survived earlier "death waves," gamma ray bursts from the core of the galaxy. They are totally self-sufficient, completely certain that the death wave cannot harm them, and utterly uninterested in helping to save other civilizations, organic or machine. But now that the humans have discovered them, they refuse to allow them to leave their planet, reasoning that other humans will inevitably follow if they learn of their existence."--Provided by Publisher.

Series
Star Quest trilogy ; [3]
Star quest trilogy ;

Length
335 pages ;

This is the 3rd in the trilogy. Now to track down the first two - New Earth & Death wave. Interesting read, on an end-of-the-World scenario. Actually, the end of all sentient life in the Milky Way. Nicely plotted, & the characterizations are better than I remember him doing from before - 1970s CE. Live & learn, sez I. A nice read, smoothly told.
The New Earth comes up as book 21 of the Grand Tour series. The Star Quest trilogy is Death Wave, Apes and Angels and Survival. There is mention of the New Earth though, in the book description. Colour me confused.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:23 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
All American Murder

by James Patterson

Life and death of Aaron Hernandez

Old 03-22-2018, 09:51 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,392 times
Just finished re-reading WILL, The Autobiography Of G. Gordon Liddy.

Stewart Alsop wrote, "A man who, in another time, would have been regarded as among the bravest and the best. In wartime, G. Gordon Liddy would have been festooned with decorations rather than slapped in jail."

Old 03-22-2018, 10:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Just finished Final Entries 1945: The Diaries of Joseph Goebbels (Paperback)
by Joseph Goebbels

It's hard to give a "rating" to a book by an evil person, and about evil. It's in a piece with The Men Who Lost America: British Leadership, the American Revolution, and the Fate of the Empire
by Andrew O'Shaughnessy, about the much less evil, and eventual American allies, the British. But Goebbels is unapologetic to the end. He talks about Britain, the U.S. and the USSR are destroying everything worthwhile in Germany and for that matter the world. He takes no responsibility for Germany's stirring the pot in such a manner as to make destroying Germany as he and Hitler made it a necessity.

He describes an inverted world where evil is greatness, and good is evil. He demonizes those that tried to surrender so as to gain peace.
How did it make you see him in relation to modern politicians?
Could Goebbels make it in world politics today?
He was supposed to be one of the smarter in Hitler's group wasn't he?

Old 03-22-2018, 10:24 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
All American Murder

by James Patterson

Life and death of Aaron Hernandez
Have anything about his brain condition--the football trauma that has come to light recently?
Supposed to be one of the worst cases that investigative forensic center had come across
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books