Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 10:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times

Advertisements

I just re-read all the Stephen Attebrook medieval mysteries by Jason Vail--
I needed something to take me out of today's Trumpian turmoil...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 06:26 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just finished Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate. I was staying at a beach place that had a "Leave one, Take one" shelf and picked this up and read it fast enough to leave it behind for the next renter/reader.

One of my reading pet peeves is an excessive use of dialog or baby/childish talk and this one had it in spades! In fact, there were little toddlers who were uneducated, "river gypsies" so sometimes I got both pet peeves in one sentence!

Yet... I sort of had a soft spot for the story and I kept on flipping the pages! The basic story has some historical basis in a state run adoption program in the depression era that survived off of taking children from economically deprived homes or parents and essentially selling them to wealthy or privileged families. This really happened as awful as it sounds, yet the book was fiction and wove in several other more contemporary tales.
I liked the book but more for the story line and the history as opposed to the writing Writing doesn't usually phase me unless it is incredibly boring and too drawn out. If they can say it in 5 words why do they have to write 20? Get to the point already. Sometimes writers too long winded, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Reading Strangers In their Own Land, about why the poorest people vote to have pollution and give money to the rich. So far, I'm even more puzzled than before as to why they do this. But it is an interesting read.
I have that one on my list. From reading reviews apparently it is more of the emotional aspect and what people feel...which sadly does not coincide with the economics of their choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I downloaded Lisa Genova's latest book "Every Note Played." I'm not quite in the mood for it right now but I will start it soon (probably this afternoon).

Genova wrote "Still Alice", "Left Neglected" and several others. I like this author. Each novel deals with a disease or a condition. Sounds boring, right? They are never boring.

"Every Note Played" is about ALS, Lou Gehrig Disease, and just thinking of that recalls Gehrig's goodbye speech at Yankee Stadium. So, it makes me cry. Is reading about a disease and the people who are dealing with it an act of masochism? I don't think so. Genova has mastered the fine art of writing from and to the heart/brain. Her characters are so fully fleshed out that I wish to know them up-close-and-personal.

The new novel is about a concert pianist who develops the disease and how his ex-wife and daughter deal with him and the entire situation.

I'm looking forward to reading the book. I'll report back.
I am interested in that one but I will have a long wait. Did you read Love Anthony?

I finished Allie and Bea by Catherine Ryan Hyde. It didn't work for me. I am almost finished with Little Fires Everywhere and I like this one better than her first book, Everything I Never Told You.

Next up because it is due at the library on monday is Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi which somehow got on my radar. It is supposed to have beautiful writing but I don't truly know what it is about yet.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35412372-freshwater

Old 03-23-2018, 08:57 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Have anything about his brain condition--the football trauma that has come to light recently?
Supposed to be one of the worst cases that investigative forensic center had come across

Haven't finished the book but the recent documentary noted that his CTE was deemed the worst ever seen for someone his age. Book reports his many years of football before NFL.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:48 AM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Sam Houston by John Hoyt Williams.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:52 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and found it interesting and moving. A few of the plot twists felt forced, but I didn't mind. I loved Oskar, the kid who narrates off and on.

I started The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra but fell asleep before getting very far.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:24 PM

The Prince of Tides

by Pat Conroy

Never read it...

Old 03-23-2018, 02:37 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
All American Murder

by James Patterson

Life and death of Aaron Hernandez
I just looked up this book, thought for a minute or two about reading it, but couldn't bring myself to do it. I have this weird "connection" to Aaron Hernandez (and his dimples). He's from Connecticut... and I lived in Connecticut. Then he went off to school in Florida... where my (ex-)in-laws lived. Then I moved to Massachusetts... and there he was in Massachusetts too, playing for the Patriots. Of course it's not a true connection, but I felt like "no, someone who lived where I lived, and had these adorable dimples, could not be a murderer." (Silly thought, I know. I just wanted to think he was better than that. Much better than that.) I was so sad to hear that it was true -- that he'd been involved in a gang in CT, that he'd murdered people. It just makes me so sad that he had success in the palms of his hands and threw it away. Yes, there's the whole CTE part of it, I know that, but he was involved in gang activities before enduring brain injuries. He was already on a bad path, despite having a golden path to fork off to.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:01 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Just finished The Woman in Cabin 10. Two out of 5 stars. I guess crime stories are just not my cup of tea.

Anyhow, I really need help now. You all read so many great books. I am looking (for a goodreads challenge) for two books that are more along my reading interests.
1 - a book with a green cover
2 - a book set in springtime

Thanks a lot girls

Old 03-24-2018, 10:28 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Just finished The Woman in Cabin 10. Two out of 5 stars. I guess crime stories are just not my cup of tea.

Anyhow, I really need help now. You all read so many great books. I am looking (for a goodreads challenge) for two books that are more along my reading interests.
1 - a book with a green cover
2 - a book set in springtime

Thanks a lot girls
Book with a green cover: Get Well Soon

Hmmm... a book set just in springtime? I'll have to think on that one.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just looked up this book, thought for a minute or two about reading it, but couldn't bring myself to do it. I have this weird "connection" to Aaron Hernandez (and his dimples). He's from Connecticut... and I lived in Connecticut. Then he went off to school in Florida... where my (ex-)in-laws lived. Then I moved to Massachusetts... and there he was in Massachusetts too, playing for the Patriots. Of course it's not a true connection, but I felt like "no, someone who lived where I lived, and had these adorable dimples, could not be a murderer." (Silly thought, I know. I just wanted to think he was better than that. Much better than that.) I was so sad to hear that it was true -- that he'd been involved in a gang in CT, that he'd murdered people. It just makes me so sad that he had success in the palms of his hands and threw it away. Yes, there's the whole CTE part of it, I know that, but he was involved in gang activities before enduring brain injuries. He was already on a bad path, despite having a golden path to fork off to.

It wasn't a fun book, that's for sure...

He changed much after his father died, really tried to recreate that relationship with older men as time went by. His mother had cheated on his father, ended up marrying the guy. He had a lot of anger over that too.

Kept up relationships from his childhood that were best left alone in adulthood.

His fiery and very quick temper served him poorly....leading to ridiculous fights and arguments over inconsequential things. Seems to me he could have had or developed mental health issues...so quick to be offended, he then would respond in unhealthy ways...feeling rejection, leading to misplaced anger and violence.

Just about everyone said it was amazing he had 2 distinct personalities...he could be charming and funny and dedicated to football...then when he hooked up with old friends, who were drug dealers and had gang associations, he became that chameleon, jumping right in with them, acting the tough guy who responded with violence to any perceived threat.

CTE was surely a factor, but his choices on life were just as much a part of who he became...maybe he was angry too, and ashamed of being bisexual...so many issues in his life.

What a loss...he was a fabulous football player...had a girlfriend and lovely baby daughter...but not even those positive aspects of his life were enough for him to stay out of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books