Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 01:23 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
The Prince of Tides

by Pat Conroy

Never read it...
I've read The Prince of Tides a few years ago. It was very impressing. The choice of words, the amount of words and the flow was amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
Book with a green cover: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Not sure about a springtime book...
That's already on my TBR list. I guess I need to order it soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Ooh fun. Green covers that I have read and liked

Delirium (Delirium #1) by Lauren Oliver

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Spring time is harder. I read Chocolat by Joanne Harris and The Secret Garden is on my list to read.
Chocolat sounds interesting! I've read Delirium quite a while ago. I didn't like it that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Book with a green cover: Get Well Soon

Hmmm... a book set just in springtime? I'll have to think on that one.
Thank you. This one went directly on my TBR list

Read The Dry by Jane Harper within 3 days (which is really quick for me). A very nice crime story, absolutely unpredictable. 3 out of 5 stars.

Next will be Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I'm very curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 01:35 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I've read The Prince of Tides a few years ago. It was very impressing. The choice of words, the amount of words and the flow was amazing.

That's already on my TBR list. I guess I need to order it soon

Chocolat sounds interesting! I've read Delirium quite a while ago. I didn't like it that much.

Thank you. This one went directly on my TBR list

Read The Dry by Jane Harper within 3 days (which is really quick for me). A very nice crime story, absolutely unpredictable. 3 out of 5 stars.

I said this already...but I loved Chocolat...movie was wonderful, IMO...Juliette Binoche, Johnny Depp before all those pirate movies, Alfred Molina...so funny....it's about a free spirit and her daughter in years past......a tiny bit of romance and spiritual fantasy...Lena Olin was outstanding.

Oops, this is a book thread...

Old 03-27-2018, 02:06 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I struck gold in the last two books I read.

"The To Hell And Back Club" by Jill Hannah Anderson rates 5 stars, IMO. I could not put it down.
This is the author's first book and it's a wonderful read. Her next book is due out soon. It's been a while since I enjoyed a book so much. I heartily recommend it.

"The Secret Mother" by Shalini Boland is another fine read.

It's so unusual for me to find two extraordinary books in a row. I loved them both. I'd give "The Secret Mother" 5 stars, too.

Of the two my favorite was "The To Hell And Back Club" but I did enjoy both books tremendously.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:15 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Several days ago I finished The Widow, by Fiona Barton. I truly enjoyed it and had a hard time putting it down. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to read The Child, by the same author. Wow, my mind kept wanting to put the clues together but I was shocked when I finally figured it out. I thought that the author did a super job of fleshing out the characters, and keeping the story moving along. This book is my favorite so far this year. In my opinion the story was “brilliant” and I highly recommend it.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:20 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

"The To Hell And Back Club" by Jill Hannah Anderson rates 5 stars, IMO. I could not put it down.
This is the author's first book and it's a wonderful read. Her next book is due out soon. It's been a while since I enjoyed a book so much. I heartily recommend it.

It's so unusual for me to find two extraordinary books in a row. I loved them both. I'd give "The Secret Mother" 5 stars, too.

Of the two my favorite was "The To Hell And Back Club" but I did enjoy both books tremendously.
Yay, thank you Ketabcha. After finishing The Child, I was wondering how I would find another book that I will enjoy as much as the last two Fiona Barton books. I’ll be starting The To Hell and Back Club as soon as I find and download it!

Old 03-28-2018, 06:41 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post

I am picking up my hold on The Dry later today.

How do you like EPL? I watched the beginning of the movie once, didn't like it and stopped

Quote:

Lucky you. I haven't had such luck with books in quite some time. I've added both to my list. Did you get them as kindle freebies? If so I will keep am eye on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Several days ago I finished The Widow, by Fiona Barton. I truly enjoyed it and had a hard time putting it down. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to read The Child, by the same author. Wow, my mind kept wanting to put the clues together but I was shocked when I finally figured it out. I thought that the author did a super job of fleshing out the characters, and keeping the story moving along. This book is my favorite so far this year. In my opinion the story was “brilliant” and I highly recommend it.
Thank you. I just placed a hold for The Child.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra by Vaseem Khan won't change your life, but it is an easy, enjoyable read. If you liked The Number One Ladies Detective Agency series, you'll like this one. I plan to read more in the series.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:22 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:

What is the subject matter of TO HELL AND BACK?

Old 03-28-2018, 03:43 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
What is the subject matter of TO HELL AND BACK?
https://www.amazon.com/Hell-Back-Clu.../dp/B06XQ5JTXF

Old 03-28-2018, 04:16 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default Having a wonderful wish, time you were here

@ the start of the Star Quest series (#1 of 3):

New Earth / Ben Bova, 1932- , c2013, Tor Book, SF BOVA.

Subjects
Life on other planets -- Fiction.
Extraterrestrial beings -- Fiction.
Human-alien encounters -- Fiction.
Interplanetary voyages -- Fiction.

Notes
"A Tor Book."

Summary
Placed in cryonic suspension to travel to a newly discovered Earth-like planet, a team of explorers is astonished to discover that the planet is inhabited by suspiciously human-like beings who may or may not be invaders from another world.

Length
384 pages ;

Resources are becoming scarce, there is serious environmental effects showing up on Earth while the explorers are on their way. Nicely written, with attention to events on Earth, in the solar system, in politics, disaster - & effects on the explorers & their mission. An entertaining read, developed @ length in 3 novels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books