Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 04:51 PM

443 posts, read 437,458 times

Advertisements

I need to place a book ban on myself. I'm almost done with Ruth Ware's The Lying Game and picked up Artemis Fowl from the library for a reading challenge I'm doing. But then I stopped at B&N on the way home from work to pick up test prep workbooks for my kid and walked out with Mr. Tender's Girl and The Underground Railroad. My TBR pile just keeps getting bigger and bigger...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 06:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I just started I Am, I Am, I Am: Seventeen Brushes with Death, a memoir by Maggie O'Farrell.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:56 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Exploring the Butterfly effect

Flight behavior : a novel / Barbara Kingsolver, c2012, HarperCollinsPublishers, F KING.

Subjects
Climatic changes -- Fiction.
Curiosities and wonders -- Fiction.
Wives -- Fiction.
Families -- Fiction.
Biologists -- Fiction.
Tennessee -- Fiction.
Appalachian Mountains -- Fiction.

Summary
Set in the present day in the rural community of Feathertown, Tennessee, this novel tells the story of Dellarobia Turnbow, a petite, razor-sharp 29-year-old who nurtured worldly ambitions before becoming pregnant and marrying at seventeen. Now, after more than a decade of tending to small children on a failing farm, oppressed by poverty, isolation and her husband's antagonistic family, she has mitigated her boredom by surrendering to an obsessive flirtation with a handsome younger man. In the opening scene, Dellarobia is headed for a secluded mountain cabin to meet this man and initiate what she expects will be a self-destructive affair. But the tryst never happens. Instead, she walks into something on the mountainside she cannot explain or understand: a forested valley filled with a lake of silent red fire that appears to her a miracle. In reality, the forest is ablaze with millions of butterflies. Their usual migratory route has been disrupted, and what looks to be a stunningly beautiful view is really an ominous sign, for the Appalachian winter could prove to be the demise of the species. Her discovery of this phenomenon ignites a media and religious firestorm that changes her life forever. After years lived entirely in the confines of one small house, Dellarobia finds her path suddenly opening out, chapter by chapter, into blunt and confrontational engagement with her family, her church, her town, her continent, and finally the world at large.

Length
436 pages ;

A brilliant book - I'm a fan of Kingsolver's work anyway - also available as a recording. Kingsolver grew up in Appalachia, & so she captures voices & sounds, as well as the environment. This is a beautiful story, if touched by tragedy & a sense of onrushing doom & contingency, lurking somewhere just off-camera. She also makes sense of the snarl of family relationships & histories. By the end, this little community feels a lot more comprehensible than it does @ the beginning.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:24 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra by Vaseem Khan won't change your life, but it is an easy, enjoyable read. If you liked The Number One Ladies Detective Agency series, you'll like this one. I plan to read more in the series.
Sorry to quote myself, but TUIoIC took a ridiculous turn at about 80%. It feels like the author told a 10-year-old to finish the story. I'm going to finish it but am hesitant about recommending it.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:30 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
The Catholic Study Bible

Old 03-28-2018, 09:13 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just started I Am, I Am, I Am: Seventeen Brushes with Death, a memoir by Maggie O'Farrell.
Cheerful little thing, aren't you?

Old 03-29-2018, 04:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Rainbows and glitter, my friend.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:45 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Rainbows and glitter, my friend.

I went to my first book club meeting last night at the library. The leader of the group handed out sheets of paper with questions on them. I said "uh oh quiz time" She said no they just go around the table and each person answers a question from the sheet. So someone would read a question, answer it, we talked for a minute or so about it and then went off on a tangent of other subjects, then back to the next person and question...repeat, lol. One woman said not to talk about politics, sex, and religion. Mary, the woman next to me, said why not. I like Mary. It's strange I didn't learn much about their lives like how they ended up in Florida, where they are from, married, kids etc. but I did learn one was Catholic, one was Jewish, one was Republican, one was Democrat, and one is cool with gender issues, this came from talking about the new Roseanne show,(so much for controversial issues, lol) Anyway it was a good time with different conversation.

Yay I finally got The Great Alone after it being sent to the wrong library and I had to wait another week for it to be sent to my small library. I won't tell you how "cheerful" that librarian was when I called and asked her to please send it to my library.

Last edited by ylisa7; 03-29-2018 at 05:57 AM..

Old 03-29-2018, 08:18 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
What is the subject matter of TO HELL AND BACK?

It's a story about friendships between women and how they help each other get past various issues in their pasts. Oddly, it is a very uplifting book. It left me feeling really good.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:29 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I just finished Shalini Boland's book "The Girl From the Sea".

Whoa Howdee! What a page turner. It's very good and the ending threw me for a loop.

It's about a woman who washes up on a beach in England (modern day). She is alive but has no memory of her prior life. She searches to find out who she is.

I read this one in a couple of days. It moves quickly. I'm still stunned by the ending. I like that. Being stunned ain't so bad.....is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books