Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 10:13 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I am picking up my hold on The Dry later today.

How do you like EPL? I watched the beginning of the movie once, didn't like it and stopped
Hmmm, good question. I'm 150 pages in and I've had the urge to put the book down twice. Once right at the beginning when the question about God and her opinion about Him started. I'm not a big fan of reading how any one journalist/writer thinks about religion just to mention it in a biography.
And a little farther in when she talked about how depressed she was, how she needed to take medication and so on. It seemed to be a selfmade problem and I just wanted to scream at her to get her things together and move on. I sometimes can't believe how immature or restless, or whatever you want to call it, some people are at the beginning of 30...

I haven't read many biographies so far but these subjects are not very interesting for me. I hoped it would be more along the line of Wild by Cheryl Strayed which I really enjoyed. Anyhow, it's getting better and it's keeping me curious enough to go on reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Yay I finally got The Great Alone after it being sent to the wrong library and I had to wait another week for it to be sent to my small library. I won't tell you how "cheerful" that librarian was when I called and asked her to please send it to my library.
I guess you won't need too long to read it. Let us know what you think.

Happy Easter Holidays to all of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 01:30 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default How far can one go on talent & sheer gall?

Diplomatic Immunity - Lois McMaster Bujold, c2002, Baen Books, SF, 367pp.

The saga of Miles Verkosigan continues - it's a long cycle of stories & novels. Miles is brilliant & cunning, physically impaired because of an attack upon his pregnant mother, born into a famous noble hereditary military family. Miles compensates (overcompensates? a lot), & rises regardless. Whether he'll hit an assignment that is beyond him, though, is still a matter in dispute.

Anymore, I just pick up books @ library sales, used book stores, thrift shops, garage sales - anything that looks interesting. Bujold is an excellent writer, & she takes her time with this series. An excellent read, I laughed out loud several times.

Includes a timeline, with reference to stories & novels @ the various stages of Miles' career, & events in the Miles universe.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:12 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Finished The Woman in the Window.

Thanks for recommending this one. Loved it.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:45 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Just started a book called Unorthodox about a woman who escapes her life with Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn. It is similar to stories of people who have escaped other religious groups (typically IBLP Christians, FLDS, etc.) So far it is interesting -- she has two memoirs, this being the first. The second must be about her life after she leaves.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:37 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Just started a book called Unorthodox about a woman who escapes her life with Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn. It is similar to stories of people who have escaped other religious groups (typically IBLP Christians, FLDS, etc.) So far it is interesting -- she has two memoirs, this being the first. The second must be about her life after she leaves.

wow this sounds interesting and reminds me of the book I read about leaving the Utah Mormon groups that are like cults . I just posted about anita shrieve dying from cancer and it is so sad I loved her books she will be missed in the librarys for sure .

Old 03-30-2018, 12:06 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:

That is a very good book. Very informative.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:36 PM

5,575 posts, read 6,501,669 times
I just went to a Thrift Store sale yesterday and picked up the biography "Walt Disney Hollywood's Dark Prince" by Marc Eliot. I will begin reading this tonight.

I also picked up the autobiography "Jack" Straight from the Gut" by Jack Welch with John A. Byrne. He took over GE (General Electric) and saved it from ruin. However, he was not a nice guy. IIRC, he got the nickname "Chainsaw Jack" or something like this. I want to see what made him tick, get into that highly specialized leadership mind.

Both are hardbacks, and both only cost $1.00. A bargain in today's market!

Old 03-30-2018, 01:13 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Oh, how sad about Anita Shreve. Was it sudden or ?

Just this morning I ordered her: "Resistance"; a
love affair during WW2 (I'm a sucker for those).

as well as: "The Shimmering", by Cynthia Hurn. I'm a sucker for anything 'out west' and TX, and it is rated 5 stars.

I have The Unorthodox and The Girl From the Sea now in my Amazon que.

Thanks to y'all Have a beautiful Easter everyone.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:13 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Have seen the Girl from the Sea several times

now on list...

have a pleasant weekend

Old 03-30-2018, 03:21 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Thank you for that. I just added it

Speaking of today I came across The Jew Store by Stella Suberman which looks interesting:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/....The_Jew_Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
wow this sounds interesting and reminds me of the book I read about leaving the Utah Mormon groups that are like cults . I just posted about anita shrieve dying from cancer and it is so sad I loved her books she will be missed in the librarys for sure .
That is sad. We will start to see more and more writers leaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I just went to a Thrift Store sale yesterday and picked up the biography "Walt Disney Hollywood's Dark Prince" by Marc Eliot. I will begin reading this tonight.

I also picked up the autobiography "Jack" Straight from the Gut" by Jack Welch with John A. Byrne. He took over GE (General Electric) and saved it from ruin. However, he was not a nice guy. IIRC, he got the nickname "Chainsaw Jack" or something like this. I want to see what made him tick, get into that highly specialized leadership mind.

Both are hardbacks, and both only cost $1.00. A bargain in today's market!

Awesome. I love a bargain. I started going to a new library in FL. I went to one of their book sales a couple of months ago and while their prices are fantastic, I did not get anything. I went to their most recent sale last saturday and scored. The paperbacks are 10 cents, the large paper backs are 15 cents, and their hard covers are 25 cents. I spent $2.00 and came home with 12 books

The Great Alone and swept me up from the start. I imagine I will fly through this book "but" I had to set it aside and read Educated a Memoir, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true,which is on hold for someone else and due back on Monday. This is also starting off with a bang. It reminded me of Ruby Ridge at first and sure enough there is mention of that as it happened the same time while Tara was growing up, also in Idaho.

So those are the two books I will be reading until early next week

Happy Passover and Happy Easter everyone. Mike and I will be in the woods clearing trees to build a border fence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books