Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 06:58 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times

Advertisements

This is how you lose her / Junot Díaz 1968- , c2012, Riverhead Books.

Subjects
Short stories, American.
Love stories.

Notes
The sun, the moon, the stars -- Nilda -- Alma -- Otravida, Otravez -- Flaca -- The pura principle -- Invierno -- Miss Lora -- The cheater's guide to love.

Summary
Presents a collection of stories that explores the heartbreak and radiance of love as it is shaped by passion, betrayal, and the echoes of intimacy.

Length 213 pages ;

Raucous stories. Díaz is a rising writer of Dominican Republic descent. A kind of compendium of love in the life of a particular family, told from their multiple points of view. An interesting read, a view of an ethnic minority from within - something we don't usually get in US letters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 08:20 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
I'm currently reading "The Heist" -- Daniel Silver. I love his Gabriel Allon books and this one is not disappointing. For the uninitiated, Gabriel is a restorer of priceless art and a member of the Israeli secret service. Curiously enough, I just finished "The Art Forger" -- Barbara Shapiro -- thanks to the recommendation of someone here on this fabulous thread. I ordered another of Shapiro's books -- "The Muralist" -- and it's sitting on my nightstand along with:

"The Nine; Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court" -- Jeffrey Tobin
"Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" -- Jonathan Safran Foer
"The Persian Pickle Club" -- Sandra Dallas
"Robert's Rules for Dummies" -- C. Alan Jennings (taking over a committee in June and I need to brush up on RR!).

The recent art focus is unintentional, though my other passion is watercolor painting and sketching, so perhaps it's subliminal.

Other recent reads were from Robert Crais, Louise Penny and Jacqueline Winspear -- favorites when I don't have much reading time and don't want to think too hard!

Old 03-30-2018, 10:48 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
Oops -- the author name for "The Heist" is Daniel Silva not Silver.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:34 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Oah no, the second part of Eat, Pray, Love, playing in India is even worse. I've skipped one or two chapters and some paragraphs. And there I was thinking I am reading a nice adventure memoire

Old 03-31-2018, 07:53 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Oah no, the second part of Eat, Pray, Love, playing in India is even worse. I've skipped one or two chapters and some paragraphs. And there I was thinking I am reading a nice adventure memoire

Agree. It was/is a dud.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:58 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,949 times
Quote:
I was so disappointed in this book, too. I skipped around trying to find something worthwhile and gave up. Into the giveaway pile it went. I'm glad I'm not alone!

Old 03-31-2018, 11:39 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I'm currently reading "The Heist" -- Daniel Silver. I love his Gabriel Allon books and this one is not disappointing. For the uninitiated, Gabriel is a restorer of priceless art and a member of the Israeli secret service. Curiously enough, I just finished "The Art Forger" -- Barbara Shapiro -- thanks to the recommendation of someone here on this fabulous thread. I ordered another of Shapiro's books -- "The Muralist" -- and it's sitting on my nightstand along with:

"The Nine; Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court" -- Jeffrey Tobin
"Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" -- Jonathan Safran Foer
"The Persian Pickle Club" -- Sandra Dallas
"Robert's Rules for Dummies" -- C. Alan Jennings (taking over a committee in June and I need to brush up on RR!).

The recent art focus is unintentional, though my other passion is watercolor painting and sketching, so perhaps it's subliminal.

Other recent reads were from Robert Crais, Louise Penny and Jacqueline Winspear -- favorites when I don't have much reading time and don't want to think too hard!

I have The Nine...to read next Did you read Toobin's book on Patty Hearst?? Fascinating, especially if you remember the kidnapping.

Been into some true crime books for a change, criminal behavior always fascinating to me. Wasted by Suzy Spencer

I like Crais too, for fun reading...

Old 03-31-2018, 03:19 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Both The Nine and The Oath (another Toobin) are great and I highly recommend them. If you like books about SCOTUS, a classic that I very highly recommend is The Brethren, by Woodward and Armstrong. Really fascinating look at the Supreme Court in the 70s.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:03 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Agree. It was/is a dud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I was so disappointed in this book, too. I skipped around trying to find something worthwhile and gave up. Into the giveaway pile it went. I'm glad I'm not alone!
I might be the only person on this forum who liked this book. I refused to read it when it was the must-read book of the moment but when I finally succumbed I ended up enjoying it very much.

Clearly I cannot be trusted. (That'll be the second time this week that QC has heard me say that.)

Old 03-31-2018, 05:31 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I might be the only person on this forum who liked this book. I refused to read it when it was the must-read book of the moment but when I finally succumbed I ended up enjoying it very much.

Clearly I cannot be trusted. (That'll be the second time this week that QC has heard me say that.)
"Truman".................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books