Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 11:09 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times

Advertisements

Just ordered Escape from Dannemora by Michael Benson...will be here Wed.

The story of David Sweat and Richard Matt and the prison escape, should be interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 07:14 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default The end of the World as we know it

The doomsday bunker [Large print] / William W. Johnstone with J. A. Johnstone, c2017, LT F JOHN.

Subjects
Bunkers (Fortification) -- Fiction.
Nuclear bomb shelters -- Fiction.
Large type books.
Notes
Originally published: Kensington Publishing.

Summary
"Former US Marine Patrick Larkin purchased shares in a high-tech shelter built in an abandoned underground silo. When disaster strikes, he and his family are among the lucky ones locked inside. With the bunker pushed to its limits, tensions rise and panic erupts when marauders attempt to invade the bunker"-- Provided by publisher.

Length 486 pages (large print) ;

Wm. W. is deceased, a nephew is working with notes & outlines Wm. left. This is an end-of-the-World scenario, with some interesting thoughts on bunkers, supply, construction, operation, personnel. Wm. W. wrote a lot of Westerns, & these adventure novels, I guess you would call them. An interesting read.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:01 AM

829 posts, read 411,090 times
Finished "A House Among the Trees" by Julia Glass https://www.amazon.com/House-Among-T.../dp/1101870362

Same author who wrote "Three Junes".

I was touch and go the first 70 pages...but after that I was hooked into the storyline and the book was well written. I'd agree with the 4 out of 5 star rating.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Finished "A House Among the Trees" by Julia Glass https://www.amazon.com/House-Among-T.../dp/1101870362

Same author who wrote "Three Junes".

I was touch and go the first 70 pages...but after that I was hooked into the storyline and the book was well written. I'd agree with the 4 out of 5 star rating.

I feel the same about the book, slow to start....Three Junes is still by favorite by this author.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:15 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I read The Book of Polly which I really loved. I gave it five stars and I think it would appeal to people who liked The One-in-a-Million Boy. https://www.amazon.com/Book-Polly-No...40_&dpSrc=srch

There are almost too many quotable quotes to count so I'll just randomly pick one: ...Clocks were alive, counting the seconds, always moving forward, undoing things, that slow pulling of the shoelace that would murder the bow. Time would take our mother away from us, tune her sleep down to an empty space...

And then I read The Great Divide by Lin Enger. It gets good reviews on Amazon but it left me cold so I don't know what to say about it. Can all those Amazon reviewers be wrong? There didn't seem to be anything special about either the story or the way it was told. https://www.amazon.com/High-Divide-N...ords=lin+enger

I prefer Goodreads reviews but they can also be off. I like to also read the bad reviews to see where people are coming from. Sometimes all the good reviews are from people just jumping on the bandwagon. I have done that a couple of times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post

One example is a Man Called Ove, which seems to have almost universal love, but I thought it was absolutely terrible. It was nice to find readers on goodreads who agreed with me, even though we're all clearly in the minority.
Ha, ha...I also like finding people who agree with me when I seem to be the odd one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I finished the Zookeeper's Wife (I was not reading much lately no reflection on the book).I was amazed at how much I learned, as I thought I was pretty well informed about that whole era, Warsaw ghetto etc. I am embarrassed to say I did not realize the book was non ficiton; I had thought it was historical fiction. I had it on reserve /kindle from the library so I never even searched for it to see where it was located to realize it was non fiction.
It was definitely a worthwhile read.

I am going to try Little Town on the Prairie for a bit and not sure what I will read if that doesnt catch me.
I enjoyed the Zookeeper's Wife. Not great but enjoyable. Some people didn't like the tangents the author went on but I liked it. I learned more and even googled a few people from her tangents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
My wife and I are traveling to South Africa in a few weeks, so I've read a lot of literature and history of the country. Just finished Cry The Beloved Country, by Paton, and am now moving on to Nadine Gordimer.
Enjoy your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFebruary View Post
Don't Let Go by Harlan Coben.

I don't normally read mystery/thrillers, but I've read all of Coben's books. I usually fly through them in 2 or 3 days because they're fast paced and have a lot of twists. His books also tend to have a bit of a family/growing up is hard/missing deceased or distant loved-ones theme that really gets to me.
I like his books. Easy and light reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
If you have time and haven't read it already, I loved Long Walk to Freedom, Nelson Mandela's autobiography. He was so humble that it's almost hard to get a feel for the enormity of what he did as a leader from this book. But I did learn a lot about him and the history of South Africa.
I have that on my very very long list

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

The story of David Sweat and Richard Matt and the prison escape, should be interesting...
That looks very good, sadly none of my libraries have it yet. I should check again today

I just started The Year of Living Danishly: My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country by Helen Russell. A couple who are from London move to a rural area in Denmark for a year. The husband is transferred to a job at Lego and she is a writer. She decides to find out why the Danes are considered one of the happiest people on Earth. So far it is interesting to see how the Danes live their lives. And since my grandfather came to the US form Denmark it is like reading about some of my roots.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Finished this already.

Most of the escape story was in the news

...but the in-depth focus on the childhoods of each killer shows, as we all know, how devastating the abusive, neglectful, alcoholic homes can be to young ones. Each had that background, as most killers and criminals seem to have...

Old 04-05-2018, 10:25 AM

188 posts, read 202,773 times
Quote:
Me too, love Coben for a fun, quick read...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I like his books. Easy and light reading
I am weirdly happy to see that other people like Coben! His stuff is supposed to be "popular" and on "best-seller" lists, but I've never actually seen anyone say they read his books or enjoy them except when I'm reading reviews for his books on Amazon.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:09 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I finished The Hazel Wood a couple of days ago. It's stunning - a modern fairytale, a story about stories. I gave it five stars. https://www.amazon.com/Hazel-Wood-No...40_&dpSrc=srch

Old 04-05-2018, 03:22 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Just started An American Marriage. I hate the title, but the story sounds intriguing and although I am very early in the book, so far it is great. Hope it stays that way.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:15 PM

443 posts, read 437,401 times
I just finished In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware and, aside from a ridiculously annoying character and some wtf situations, I enjoyed it. It's definitely my favorite book of hers, so far. Starting The Dark Lake by Sarah Bailey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books