Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 05:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFebruary View Post
I am weirdly happy to see that other people like Coben! His stuff is supposed to be "popular" and on "best-seller" lists, but I've never actually seen anyone say they read his books or enjoy them except when I'm reading reviews for his books on Amazon.
Glad you are happy. I have only read four of his books as there are just so many good books out there to choose from, lol. I liked his The Woods best and then Hold Tight.

You said you don't normally read mystery/thrillers so what kind of books are usual for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 06:36 AM

I am sidetracking now and reading lots of books about goats and chickens. Our large pen is almost finished. Time to buy some farm animals again but in a new state.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:47 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Looking forward to starting "The Tuscan Child" by Rhys Bowen -- later on today.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:14 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
My daughter didn't close her apple juice bottle properly after her dancing class and Eat, Pray, Love was in her sports bag.
The whole book was wet through and through when I arrived at home. This must be a sign.

This means I'm not getting farther with this book and will finish Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton this weekend. A re-read.

Next on is The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. I've read this book a few years ago and am curious if I will like it that much again.

Have a terrific weekend you all!

Old 04-06-2018, 07:24 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Reading the true story
In Plain Sight
by Kathryn Casey

Just out....details psychopath Eric Williams, lawyer in Texas, who murdered prominent people on his list who supposedly caused him some type of harm.

Started out by killing cats and kittens as a youngster....that was one of many blatant clues about this guy....many more were noted in hindsight ie narcism, unable to tolerate rejection, thought he was smarter than anyone else, fascination with guns, controling etc. Killed without remorse.

Then I'll move on to something lighter...

Bio of Coco Chanel

Pleasant weekend to all...

Old 04-06-2018, 08:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finished The Hazel Wood a couple of days ago. It's stunning - a modern fairytale, a story about stories. I gave it five stars. https://www.amazon.com/Hazel-Wood-No...40_&dpSrc=srch
That sounds really good. Should I buy it right now, despite my vow to not buy any books til I've read what's on my nightstand?

Old 04-06-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Reading the true story
In Plain Sight
by Kathryn Casey

Just out....details psychopath Eric Williams, lawyer in Texas, who murdered prominent people on his list who supposedly caused him some type of harm.

Started out by killing cats and kittens as a youngster....that was one of many blatant clues about this guy....many more were noted in hindsight ie narcism, unable to tolerate rejection, thought he was smarter than anyone else, fascination with guns, controling etc. Killed without remorse.
That sounds interesting. I see it is almost 500 pages. Do you find it drawn out or does the story move along well?

Old 04-06-2018, 09:55 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
That sounds really good. Should I buy it right now, despite my vow to not buy any books til I've read what's on my nightstand?
Hard question. I wasn't going to buy it either but I read a local review of the book and that led to reading the sample which led to buying it. I don't regret it. What I DO regret reading is the book I bought right after that because it was 1.37 on sale in an effort to make up for spending the money on the Hazel Wood. And I FORCED myself to finish it thinking it had to get better because it couldn't get worse.

It was a romance, which isn't my thing, but worse yet was that the 27 year old romancing couple like to tell fart jokes and slap or hit each other hard because they liked each other and just generally behave like they had been raised by wolves. It got good reviews on Amazon as being "realistic". This maybe is realistic in elementary school.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:46 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Hard question. I wasn't going to buy it either but I read a local review of the book and that led to reading the sample which led to buying it. I don't regret it. What I DO regret reading is the book I bought right after that because it was 1.37 on sale in an effort to make up for spending the money on the Hazel Wood. And I FORCED myself to finish it thinking it had to get better because it couldn't get worse.

It was a romance, which isn't my thing, but worse yet was that the 27 year old romancing couple like to tell fart jokes and slap or hit each other hard because they liked each other and just generally behave like they had been raised by wolves. It got good reviews on Amazon as being "realistic". This maybe is realistic in elementary school.
Well I definitely won't be buying the second book! But The Hazel Wood sounds like Inkheart which I loved. I'll read the sample and see what happens.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:05 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
That sounds interesting. I see it is almost 500 pages. Do you find it drawn out or does the story move along well?

Moves fast and isn't dull....will finish in 2 days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books