Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 12:55 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Well I definitely won't be buying the second book! But The Hazel Wood sounds like Inkheart which I loved. I'll read the sample and see what happens.
I think it is like Inkheart but this one feels more grownup. It doesn't read to me as though YAs might enjoy it. I think it's in the way it is written rather than the content. I'd be interested to know if you get the same vibe if you read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 02:02 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
My OCD kicked in again.

Don't act surprised. I'm not. This happens to me all the time. What is "This," you ask? This:

1. Someone who I once adored and now miss (she died) said that Joseph Brodsky's essay In Praise of Boredom was the best thing that she'd ever read. This came from a woman who wrote beautifully, so I took her praise at face value.
2. I looked up the essay. It's in Brodsky's book of essays called On Grief and Reason. (504 pages)
3. Oh, look! Thank you, Amazon. Brodsky has another book of essays, called Less Than One. (512 pages)
4. I bought them both. I now have 1016 pages of essays so that I can read one of those essays -- which is probably about 10 pages -- from one of those books.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:12 PM

6 posts, read 636 times
True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey (2001) I recommend it to all!

Old 04-07-2018, 10:01 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,999 times
Into the fire / Elizabeth Moon, c2018, Del Rey, SF MOON

Subjects
Life on other planets -- Fiction.
Women admirals -- Fiction.
Secrecy -- Fiction.

Summary
"As Admiral Kylara Vatta learned after she and a ship full of strangers were marooned on an inhospitable arctic island, the secrets she and her makeshift crew uncovered were ones someone was ready to kill to keep hidden. Now, the existence of the mysterious arctic base has been uncovered, but much of the organization behind it still lurks in the shadows. And it is up to the intrepid Ky to force the perpetrators into the light, and finally uncover decades worth of secrets--some of which lie at the very heart of her biggest family tragedy"-- Provided by publisher.

Series
Vatta's peace ; 2
Vatta's peace series

Length
x, 462 pages ;

The author of the Legend of Paksennarion series (a must-read for Tolkien fans) continues the Vatta's War series. Excellent writing, good grasp of military science, tactics, hit & run. A gritty story, & advancing Ky's career & family politics.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:28 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,147 times
I find myself (on this very rare Saturday with an empty house, nowhere to go, and an inch of snow on the ground) reading, for about the FIFTH time, my dog eared old hardback copy of Marlys Millhiser's "The Mirror". It's been 15 years since I last read it, but it is absolutely one of my favorites. Taking place in 1978, it is a bit dated (no cell phones), but imagine...two 20 year olds swapping places in time, 100 years apart. Through a creepy old mirror with "hands" making up its frame. (DH is a flea marketer and has seen his share of weird ornamental mirrors).

Marlys, if you're out there and reading this...why no sequel to "The Mirror"?

Old 04-07-2018, 01:05 PM

188 posts, read 202,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Glad you are happy. I have only read four of his books as there are just so many good books out there to choose from, lol. I liked his The Woods best and then Hold Tight.

You said you don't normally read mystery/thrillers so what kind of books are usual for you?
For non-fiction, I like military history, science and psychology. For fiction, I'm actually not sure how to classify my tastes anymore. Over the past few years I've read dystopian, young adult, science fiction, fantasy and a bunch of random stuff that just sounded good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I am sidetracking now and reading lots of books about goats and chickens. Our large pen is almost finished. Time to buy some farm animals again but in a new state.
What are some interesting things you've learned about goats and chickens? :]

Old 04-07-2018, 01:54 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Reading the true story
In Plain Sight
by Kathryn Casey

Just out....details psychopath Eric Williams, lawyer in Texas, who murdered prominent people on his list who supposedly caused him some type of harm.

Started out by killing cats and kittens as a youngster....that was one of many blatant clues about this guy....many more were noted in hindsight ie narcism, unable to tolerate rejection, thought he was smarter than anyone else, fascination with guns, controling etc. Killed without remorse.

This happened about 70 miles due east of here. I followed it on the news because I know folks who live there. As it unfolded I kept thinking "this can't be true." But, it was and it was horrible. Yes, he was in plain sight. Evil does walk among us. Gulp!

Old 04-07-2018, 02:49 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
This happened about 70 miles due east of here. I followed it on the news because I know folks who live there. As it unfolded I kept thinking "this can't be true." But, it was and it was horrible. Yes, he was in plain sight. Evil does walk among us. Gulp!
Many there saw it coming...they were afraid for their lives....he murdered 3 just for revenge....

Prior to that, he had lost his job as justice of the peace as well as his law license due to thefts.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:17 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Taking a breather by reading bio

Ryan Gosling
by Nick Johnstone

Old 04-08-2018, 03:07 PM

16 posts, read 10,601 times
Saladin - The Sultan Who Vanquished the Crusaders and Built an Islamic Empire, by John Man

Continuing with my onging project to learn more about Richard the Lionheart, I am reading about some of the major historical figures in his life. Before this work, I have mostly known Saladin from books about Richard, such as Gillingham's excellent biography.

One curious aspect of Richard's life is that not only was he a king right out of central casting - ferocious, capable, a military leader - his life was filled with similar supporting characters. Perhaps the greatest of medieval knights, William Marshal. His mother, the shrewd political operator Eleanor of Acquitaine. And, of course, the villianous and would-be usurping younger brother John. Saladin, his foe on the Third Crusade, falls into this mold.

Of course, as with Richard, the man behind the myth is far more complex and interesting than the legend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books