Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 05:02 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tascio Vanos View Post
Saladin - The Sultan Who Vanquished the Crusaders and Built an Islamic Empire, by John Man

Continuing with my onging project to learn more about Richard the Lionheart, I am reading about some of the major historical figures in his life. Before this work, I have mostly known Saladin from books about Richard, such as Gillingham's excellent biography.

One curious aspect of Richard's life is that not only was he a king right out of central casting - ferocious, capable, a military leader - his life was filled with similar supporting characters. Perhaps the greatest of medieval knights, William Marshal. His mother, the shrewd political operator Eleanor of Acquitaine. And, of course, the villianous and would-be usurping younger brother John. Saladin, his foe on the Third Crusade, falls into this mold.

Of course, as with Richard, the man behind the myth is far more complex and interesting than the legend.
I used to read historical fiction as well as biographies. This post reminds me how interesting it is - thanks for this. I may just have to take a small break from fiction and have a look at some of these biographies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 08:38 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default An invasion story

Out of the dark / David Weber, 1952- , c2010, Tor, SF Webe.

Subjects
Extraterrestrial beings -- Fiction.
Space warfare -- Fiction.

Notes
"A Tom Doherty Associates book."

Summary
A master sergeant prowling the back country of the Balkans and a firearms instructor and former Marine find themselves at the center of a growing network of resistance against an invading force of alien, carnivorous Shongari intent on annihilating the human race.

Length - 381 pages ;

Weber is also the author of the Honor Harrington series. This is Roman Empire v. Picts - except that the Picts have a good technological base. Lots of discussions of weapons & what's effective in the field. Very interesting, especially if you read military SF. Weber is an engaging writer - I recognized the story after a few pages, but reread it anyway.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:21 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFebruary View Post
For non-fiction, I like military history, science and psychology. For fiction, I'm actually not sure how to classify my tastes anymore. Over the past few years I've read dystopian, young adult, science fiction, fantasy and a bunch of random stuff that just sounded good.

What are some interesting things you've learned about goats and chickens? :]

I went through a phase a couple of years ago. I love YA dystopian. Have you read these:
Most of these I have read and some are on my To Read list. They are in order of the ones I liked best:

Cinder(The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Unwind (Unwind Dystology #1) by Neal Shusterman

Divergent

Legend series by Lu Marie

Six of Crows series by Leigh Bardugo

Divergent series

Delirium series by Lauren Oliver

Born series by Tara Brown

Rob Thurman books

Maze Runner

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

The Park Service by Ryan Winfield

Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Did not read yet:

Matched (Matched #1) by Ally Condie

Ruby Red series by Kerstin Gier

Belligerent (Vicara #1) by B.N. Mauldin

The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Scott Medbury books

T.A. Williams books

As for the animals well we picked up our first baby goat yesterday. We are getting him some pals tonight.

Any name suggestions for our new baby boy would be appreciated

Old 04-09-2018, 10:39 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

As for the animals well we picked up our first baby goat yesterday. We are getting him some pals tonight.

OMG! I'm in LOVE!

Naming him Billy is ridiculous, right? As in Billy Goat?

Never mind. Forget that I even said that.

He looks like a Frankie anyway.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:24 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,354,619 times
Just finished The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan. First published in 1915, it's a cracking read. As it had been some years since I last read it, I was a little surprised, but very pleased, to find that I enjoyed re-reading it as much as I did. Definitely a book that will stay with me for many years to come.

Have just begun The Beiderbecke Tapes, a very English story - understated, slightly surreal, and with some black humour. The Beiderbecke Trilogy was three television serials from the 1980s, which I have on DVD, and were written by Alan Plater. I'll guess that the book was written after the success of the TV series, as what I've read so far is faithful to the onscreen storyline. Lovely writing.

* Have looked online and it turns out that the book preceded the television series.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:04 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:
I went through a phase a couple of years ago. I love YA dystopian. Have you read these:
Most of these I have read and some are on my To Read list. They are in order of the ones I liked best:

Cinder(The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Unwind (Unwind Dystology #1) by Neal Shusterman

Divergent

Legend series by Lu Marie

Six of Crows series by Leigh Bardugo

Divergent series

Delirium series by Lauren Oliver

Born series by Tara Brown

Rob Thurman books

Maze Runner

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

The Park Service by Ryan Winfield

Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Did not read yet:

Matched (Matched #1) by Ally Condie

Ruby Red series by Kerstin Gier

Belligerent (Vicara #1) by B.N. Mauldin

The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Scott Medbury books

T.A. Williams books

I want one too....he's adorable.

He looks like a Mickie to me...

Old 04-09-2018, 03:13 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Lives that are ignored

The house of broken angels : a novel / Luis Alberto Urrea, c2018, Little Brown & Co., F URRE.

Subjects
Mexican American families -- Fiction.
Mexican Americans.

Summary
"In Urrea's exuberant new novel of Mexican-American life, 70-year-old patriarch Big Angel de la Cruz is dying, and he wants to have one last birthday blowout. Unfortunately, his 100-year-old mother, America, dies the week of his party, so funeral and birthday are celebrated one day apart. The entire contentious, riotous de la Cruz clan descends on San Diego for the events--"High rollers and college students, prison veteranos and welfare mothers, happy kids and sad old-timers and pinches gringos and all available relatives." Not to mention figurative ghosts of the departed and an unexpected guest with a gun. Taking place over the course of two days, with time out for an extended flashback to Big Angel's journey from La Paz to San Diego in the 1960s, the narrative follows Big Angel and his extended familia as they air old grievances, initiate new romances, and try to put their relationships in perspective. Of the large cast, standouts include Perla, Big Angel's wife, the object of his undimmed affection; Little Angel, his half-Anglo half-brother, who strains to remain aloof; and Lalo, his son, trailing a lifetime of bad decisions. Urrea (The Hummingbird's Daughter) has written a vital, vibrant book about the immigrant experience that is a messy celebration of life's common joys and sorrows" -- Publisher's weekly.

Length - 326 pages ;

A wonderfully picaresque internal view of a Mexican family, their histories, their patriarchs & matriarchs. Tragedy, comedy, farce, black humor, love, hate, lust - spread over generations. An entertaining read, which actually explains some things, & @ least alludes to others.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:19 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:

Everything I've heard about male goats suggests "Stinky" would be the perfect name. Are you going to castrate him or is he castrated?

I have often thought I'd like a couple of goats but DH used to have one and he refuses on the basis that they get out and that his billy stank to high heaven.

The weekend of the 21st is when I pick up my new puppy.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:32 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Just finished Sam Houston
by John Hoyt Williams

Very interesting book, but could have used some fact checking. A few obvious mistakes, such as the dates Confederate states seceded from the Union. Mistakes such as that lower one's confidence in other facts.

All in all, though, interesting book. The author seemed to be a bit more proslavery than I would have liked. Thus, four stars.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:22 AM

385 posts, read 205,536 times
[quote=netwit;51526561]I finished The Hazel Wood a couple of days ago. It's stunning - a modern fairytale, a story about stories. I gave it five stars. https://www.amazon.com/Hazel-Wood-No...40_&dpSrc=srch[/QUOT

I read this weeks ago and hated it. I kept hoping it would get better and it did not. I am glad you enjoyed it though.

I have read several books and a couple I felt were really good. I will post about them in a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books