Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 07:43 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times

Advertisements

I just finished Felice Picano's Like People In History. It was a good read overall (as most of his stuff is), but I feel like the ending didn't wrap up the story like it could have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 11:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Next, I'm going to *try* to read The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris. It's a novel, but based on a true story. I say that I'm going to *try* to read it but I don't/can't read Holocaust books -- fiction or non. I've read some but they're too hard for me. I wanted to give this one a try, though. We'll see how far I get. (You'll notice that it's not yet released on Amazon in the U.S. I'm reading the Australian version. The author is Australian.)
As expected, I had to bail on this. I got through three or so chapters, but I kept dreading going on to the next page, and the next, and the next.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:59 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just Finished Winter Garden by Kristen Hannah.

I like her writing style and immensely enjoyed the book, especially since I am doing one of my bucket list items this summer and will have some time in St Petersburg Russia.

Oh boy!

...enjoy that city for me too....unlikely I'll ever go.

Book sounds interesting.

Still working through bio of Marlon Brando...fascinating.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:06 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
A Civil Action by Jonathan Harr interspersed with History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:46 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
I’ve read quite a few books since I posted last. Most were good but nothing that was rave-worthy until now. I just finished reading Say Goodbye For Now, by Catherine Ryan Hyde. I loved it! It had everything a good book should have and I am so glad I read it. This is the best book I’ve read this year!

Old 04-16-2018, 11:17 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Just finished Ready Player One today. I’ve had this in my TBR puke for YEARS. I was a little reluctant to read it because it was in a genre I don’t generally care for much — sci fi with some nonreality. But, I LOVED this book. It was a great story, told well, with compelling and likable characters and a well arched plot that made sense.

I’m curious now to see how well Spielberg did the movie.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:17 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm about halfway through "Follow You Home" by Mark Edwards. I have never been as scared reading a book as I am with this one. It's horrifying and I can't put it down for long. "The Exorcist" scared me and so did "Jaws" but this one takes the cake. Knowing that different things scare different people I realize that it might not scare everyone. The tension build up is slow but constant. I have not gotten to the part where the terror is fully explained and my mind is running rampant with speculation.

The book is well written. There seem to be no editorial errors. No misuse of words. It's straight forward tidy. I'm so scared that I have to break from the book and play a computer game or some such diversion. I can't stay away for long because the book screams at me to resume reading. I'm only 50% through it but I already know that this book will stay with me for a very long time.

So far it is not bloody, thankfully. I recommend it if you "like" scary stuff.
I have this one on my list

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslrac View Post
Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover

If you liked The Glass Castle, you'll probably like Educated.
I really liked both of those books but I don't think they were alike except for both of those women getting out and being educated. The Glass Castle had "loving/creative" parents. Educated had "abusive" ones and a really crazy family but in a scarring way.

Quote:
I enjoyed The Glass castle, will have to check Educated out
Educated was very good. It reminded me of Ruby Ridge with religious end of the world fanatics.

Quote:
Just Finished Winter Garden by Kristen Hannah.

I like her writing style and immensely enjoyed the book, especially since I am doing one of my bucket list items this summer and will have some time in St Petersburg Russia.
I really enjoyed that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I’ve read quite a few books since I posted last. Most were good but nothing that was rave-worthy until now. I just finished reading Say Goodbye For Now, by Catherine Ryan Hyde. I loved it! It had everything a good book should have and I am so glad I read it. This is the best book I’ve read this year!
I enjoy her writing. Sadly my library doesn't have that one yet. I'll have to watch for a kindle deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Just finished Ready Player One today. I’ve had this in my TBR puke for YEARS. I was a little reluctant to read it because it was in a genre I don’t generally care for much — sci fi with some nonreality. But, I LOVED this book. It was a great story, told well, with compelling and likable characters and a well arched plot that made sense.

I’m curious now to see how well Spielberg did the movie.
Good to know. Like you I have had it for a long time on my list but wasn't sure about the sci fi part. I'll have to move it up and then I can watch the movie

I am almost finished with my book club book for this month, The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott. A young woman gets hired at the last minute by Lady Lucile Duff Gordon just before boarding the Titanic. The sinking and rescue of the survivors is a very small portion of the story. Most of it takes place during the hearings. Lady Lucile Duff Gordon and her husband Cosmo were real survivors and their names were dragged through the mud after they refused to go back for more survivors when their raft only had 12 people in it and he bribed the sailors that were in their raft. That part is true or true enough. This story is about Tess and her dealings with the Duff Gordons. There is a feisty reporter in the story along with two romantic interests of Tess's. I am enjoying the book.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...the-dressmaker

Old 04-18-2018, 10:22 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Hard question. I wasn't going to buy it either but I read a local review of the book and that led to reading the sample which led to buying it. I don't regret it. What I DO regret reading is the book I bought right after that because it was 1.37 on sale in an effort to make up for spending the money on the Hazel Wood. And I FORCED myself to finish it thinking it had to get better because it couldn't get worse.

It was a romance, which isn't my thing, but worse yet was that the 27 year old romancing couple like to tell fart jokes and slap or hit each other hard because they liked each other and just generally behave like they had been raised by wolves. It got good reviews on Amazon as being "realistic". This maybe is realistic in elementary school.
I went ahead and bought The Hazel Wood (you knew I would) and am liking it a lot so far. It's classified as YA which I consider a plus because you immediately dive into the story and that's what I was looking for. I love Alice, the 17-year-old protagonist.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:34 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default Doing good while doing well?

Apes and angels / Ben Bova, 1932-, c2016, Tor, SF BOVA.

Subjects
  • Extraterrestrial beings -- Fiction.
  • Artificial intelligence -- Fiction.
  • Life on other planets -- Fiction.
  • Human-alien encounters -- Fiction.
  • Survival -- Fiction.
  • Outer space -- Exploration -- Fiction.
Notes
  • "A Tor Book" -- Title page verso.
Summary
  • "Humankind headed out to the stars not for conquest, nor exploration, nor even for curiosity. Humans went to the stars in a desperate crusade to save intelligent life wherever they found it. A wave of death is spreading through the Milky Way galaxy, an expanding sphere of lethal gamma radiation that erupted from the galaxy's core twenty-eight thousand years ago and now is approaching Earth's vicinity at the speed of light. Every world it touched was wiped clean of all life. But it's possible to protect a planet from gamma radiation. Earth is safe. Now, guided by the ancient intelligent machines called the Predecessors, men and women from Earth seek out those precious, rare worlds that harbor intelligent species, determined to save them from the doom that is hurtling toward them. The crew of the Odysseus has arrived at Mithra Gamma, the third planet of the star Mithra, to protect the stone-age inhabitants from the Death Wave. But they'll also have to protect themselves"-- Provided by publisher.
Series
  • Star Quest series ; 3

Length
  • 415 pages ;
This is the third instalment of the Star Quest series. Interesting ideas - some familiar from Larry Niven's Ringworld series - but nicely handled. Bova is better @ the interpersonal & hierarchical relationships than I remember him being. It just goes to show - nothing truly stays the same.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:13 AM

75 posts, read 43,789 times
Year One, Nora Roberts, I gave it 3.5. I read a lot of post apoc and was surprised by the magical element introduced about halfway through. I know its a trilogy and am hoping for a more fast paced dialogue in the second book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books