Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2018, 04:23 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((SIGH SIGH SIGH)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Am i the only person in America who reads poetry? scanned thru numerous posts, not one mentioned a poetry book..... and there's no poetry forum anywhere!!!!!! I just bought Stephen Dunn's newest book and it was magnificent.

golly, is it hard to start a new forum? I would love to help more people start to enjoy modern American and foreign poetry.... you don't know what you're missing if you haven't read Rachel McKibbens or Lucille Clifton or Naomi Shihab Nye, i find a great book is fun to fall into for hours, but a great poem can literally leave you breathless in less than a minute, and bring you closer to all of humanity than anything else.... i'd love to share some of the wonderful poems that truly tell the truth, but tell it slant like Taha Muhammad Ali's Revenge or better yet, Naomi Shihab Nye's Gate 4-A, both so life affirming!!! can i just leave a poem from Lucille Clifton here: called Sorrows

who would believe them winged
who would believe they could be

beautiful who would believe
they could fall so in love with mortals

that they would attach themselves
as scars attach and ride the skin

sometimes we hear them in our dreams
rattling their skulls clicking

their bony fingers
they have heard me beseeching

as i whispered into my own
cupped hands enough not me again

but who can distinguish
one human voice

amid such choruses
of desire

or Stephen Dunn's Nothing to Hold Onto:

When it's time to enter the great waters,
you, who've been properly loved since birth,
will likely feel on top of the world,
lacking the useful defenses the unloved have.

Try to remember that on top of the world
is only an expression, nothing to hold onto,
and if there were such a place,
no doubt there'd be a host of angels

who might think it their territory.
You would need to be careful
of the jealous, bitter ones
who haven't gotten the best assignments.

It might be the right time to cultivate
disbelief, which can make certain angels
disappear. Actually, disbelief is always useful,
helps the discriminate discriminate.

Those of you properly loved will believe
your biggest mistakes can be overcome.
You will have learned laughter
is a floatation device, and uproarious laughter

the password to moments of fine feeling.
It means the angel assigned to you at birth,
the only one you believe in, has already wrapped
his wings around you, is doing his job.

Still, there'll be turbulence as you enter
the great waters. Love alone can't save you,
and disbelief only frees you long enough
to see clearly where you're going.

But the loved have a history of shifting
as the world shifts, and a vague sense
how good and bad blend, become one.
Don't worry if you can't tell the angelic

from the hellbent, or the exact meaning of guidance.
Confusion won't hurt you. This is your chance
to row as hard as the unloved, whose task
from the beginning was to exceed all expectations.

Do you see what i mean? who hasn't understood this all their lives, but never could say it better or with such perfect words in the perfect order?

Ok, I'll go now, i'll probably get hollered at for adding poetry as any kind of book anyone should read.... but i do love it so very much and if you'd like a few recommendations of some more favorite poems besides favorite books, you can always private message me. i'm old, i have no life..... and i'll be glad to write right back. bright blessings

I admit to reading very little poetry but thank you for sharing. Like others have said I would start a new topic.

A couple of my book groups are reading poetry in May. Here are what they are reading:

Sightlines by Kathleen Jamie
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13818573-sightlines

and
The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nd-her-flowers

A list of best poetry books:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...t_Poetry_Books

and a poetry group on goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/233-poetry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 05:37 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
There has been at least one favourite poetry thread.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:36 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I just started I Wrote This Book Because I Love You: Essays by Tim Kreider.

Good luck to me, because "essays" is just a code word for non-fiction "short stories," and we all know my horrible relationship with THOSE. (That said, I have not one but TWO other story collections on my "to read" list -- Property: Stories Between Two Novellas by Lionel Shriver and You Think It, I'll Say It: Stories by Curtis Sittenfeld -- because I'm a glutton for "failure to finish." Funny fact about these two: Lionel and Curtis, both male names, are both women.)

Old 04-25-2018, 02:06 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,354,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just started I Wrote This Book Because I Love You: Essays by Tim Kreider.

Good luck to me, because "essays" is just a code word for non-fiction "short stories," and we all know my horrible relationship with THOSE. (That said, I have not one but TWO other story collections on my "to read" list -- Property: Stories Between Two Novellas by Lionel Shriver and You Think It, I'll Say It: Stories by Curtis Sittenfeld -- because I'm a glutton for "failure to finish." Funny fact about these two: Lionel and Curtis, both male names, are both women.)

'Essays' to me are what we had to write as part of school homework.

I have a female friend who has published fiction books under a male name, as well as under a female name.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
'Essays' to me are what we had to write as part of school homework.

I have a female friend who has published fiction books under a male name, as well as under a female name.
Well, those are their real names; they're just not commonly seen as female names although these authors *are* female.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:34 AM

414 posts, read 911,190 times
Just finished Only Child by Rhiannon Navin. It was a good book, narrated in the voice and thoughts of 6-year-old Zachery after a family tragedy and its effect on him and his family. The circumstances were sad (and all too relevant to today's society) but the author did a great job "existing" in the mind of a child. Add it to your list, for sure!

Old 04-25-2018, 09:10 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Like chicagoliz said, start a thread about poetry. I don't read much poetry, but both of these are beautiful and I'd love to have someone like you share more in the future. And you may turn up other poetry lovers as well. You'll need to post fairly often to keep close to the top of the thread list where it will be seen.
Oooohhhhh - I like this idea. Start a new thread and post in it enough to keep it on the front page and educate us! I remember loving poetry when I was in school and then again when my kids were in school, but I never read it for pleasure. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm for the genre.

PS - I am a short-story lover - another under-appreciated genre. I take personal pleasure every time someone here posts something about enjoying a short story.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Well, those are their real names; they're just not commonly seen as female names although these authors *are* female.
Ah, I see. My apologies for being thick.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
Ah, I see. My apologies for being thick.
No apologies necessary. It's their fault for having boy names.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:24 PM

The book I bought most recently is one that's more for dipping into, rather than reading, as the emphasis is on the visual. It's a collection of reproduction World War 1 posters; UK publication, but there are plenty of US and Canadian posters included. Have to admit I do enjoy this sort of book, and I'd love to get one of Spanish Civil War posters - visually, they're quite stunning, influenced at times, to my eyes, by the art moderne movement.

Quote:
No apologies necessary. It's their fault for having boy names.

No, it's their parents' fault!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books