Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 09:08 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times

Advertisements

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Delightful little book, thanks to the person who recommended it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 07:44 PM

188 posts, read 202,866 times
I'm currently reading Revisionary (book 4 in Jim Hine's Libriomancer series).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm passing you a tissue.
No. Wait. I'm passing you a whole box of tissues.
It's a beautiful book.

I was intrigued by the title "When Breath Becomes Air," so had to look it up. Sounds really good! I'm going through a rough patch in life right now and not sure I could handle a book that required a whole box of tissues though. Will have to wait until things get better. :/

Old 05-17-2018, 05:11 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Can't remember who recommended The Woman in the Window...

70+ pgs. in and loving it. AJ Finn is certainly a WRITER
That book made me want to go and watch old thrillers, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm updating this to say that The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind got much better. About a third of the way into the book he begins to tell a very personal, harrowing tale of a period of famine in Malawi. The picture he paints of life in his remote village takes you away from your comfortable spot on the couch to dusty huts on the other side of the planet where people struggle to survive.

But when he starts to figure out how to generate electricity the story really takes off. Kamkwamba's intelligence, ingenuity, and work ethic are inspiring. He figured out more about electronics and construction from reading three library books and tinkering than I'll ever know, even with all the resources literally at my fingertips.

Overall it's a great read and I recommend it to everyone.
I really enjoyed that one. Of course because it was about making your own electricity and the mind of a boy from such hard times.

I love underdogs. There is a girl now trying to become a pro golfer with an amazing story. I hope she makes and someday maybe there will be a book about her
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pra...irst-golf-star

Quote:
I'm not reading it (yet) -- I barely have time to go to the washroom -- but this came on my radar and I wanted to share it with you, in case YOU have time to read it (now):

The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell by Robert Dugoni

The reviews on Amazon are great. The reviews on Goodreads are great. The book sounds great.

Netwit, it's a coming-of-age novel. It sounds great... and right up your alley.

Added...thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Loved Lisa Wingate's " Before We Were Yours" and I am going to look up the TN Children's Home Society too so I can find out more about it. This should be made into a movie.....
I really enjoyed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Delightful little book, thanks to the person who recommended it.
One of my faves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynuddin View Post
i am reading now When Breath Becomes Air.
Excellent but very sad book.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
I've been steadily reading but nothing is blowing my socks off. This year has not been one of my better reading years. Oh well...hope it gets better, lol. Either I'm off or the reviewers are lying

Anyway I read:

The Mask Of Sanity....a good look into a sociopath's mind as he plans murders with no feeling about it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...mask-of-sanity

An American Marriage which like Liz, I believe said, it has the wrong title. Anyway a man whois innocent and sent to prison while his wife has to still be a wife while alone with no set plans for her marriage. It is based more on the relationships after a person you loves goes to prison and not the fact that he was innocent.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...rican-marriage

Sometimes I Lie which is a mystery.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ometimes-i-lie

Love Anthony which I did like. I'm a sucker for Lisa Genova books. A woman writes a story that is told through the mind of an autistic boy. The mother of tis boy needs this book to soothe her soul.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...1-love-anthony

I Found You...another mystery type book as a man who can't remember anything is befriended by a woman. At the same time another woman is desperately looking for her husband who has disappeared.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...51-i-found-you

All of them were relatively fast reads. My favorites were Love Anthony and I Found you.

Now I am reading Between You And Me. It is keeping my interest so far but might get a little repetitious. I am also not a fan of how the time frames are skipping around. For anyone who reads it I will give you a clue. It starts in the "now", he tells his story from now backwards, and she is telling the story from the beginning to today.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...een-me-and-you

Old 05-17-2018, 08:56 AM

18,212 posts, read 25,848,753 times
Thinking about Tom Wolfe, who passed away at 88 just yesterday, made me pull out one of his best books and reread a couple chapters--The Electric Koolaid Acid Test.

A classic!

Old 05-17-2018, 09:27 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Thinking about Tom Wolfe, who passed away at 88 just yesterday, made me pull out one of his best books and reread a couple chapters--The Electric Koolaid Acid Test.

A classic!

I know....

have read almost all his books. On a Wolfe thread, I mentioned his Bonfire of the Vanities was a wonderful poke at societal mores....my favorite book of his....

Old 05-17-2018, 08:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
I finally finished (two false starts...) One in a Million Boy and loved it! The author is a craftsman and the story was so well developed. And the hard part for me is always the ending - sweetly perfect.

I don't remember who on this tread recommended this one, but I'm sorry I didn't listen harder the first time and really, really sorry that I ever listened to that cranky lady at the airport who told me how much I was going to hate this one!

Old 05-17-2018, 09:49 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I finally finished (two false starts...) One in a Million Boy and loved it! The author is a craftsman and the story was so well developed. And the hard part for me is always the ending - sweetly perfect.

I don't remember who on this tread recommended this one, but I'm sorry I didn't listen harder the first time and really, really sorry that I ever listened to that cranky lady at the airport who told me how much I was going to hate this one!
You're forgiven.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:50 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:

And so you should be!

Glad you enjoyed it - the ending was perfect, I agree.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:

Quote:
You're forgiven.
Good grief, it took you almost two years -- TWO YEARS -- to believe me! I started One In a Million Boy about 10 minutes after it was released.

The doubt when I started it: https://www.city-data.com/forum/44319236-post17380.html
The reversal of doubt when I finished it: https://www.city-data.com/forum/44340779-post17398.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books