Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 01:53 PM

188 posts, read 202,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
@Marlow - I think you might like The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. Holly Black normally writes YA and I'm not sure if this book is meant to fit into that category by put the book is a stunner, imo. I gave it five stars. The bad part is that there is a sequel, which I didn't realize, and the book ends on a cliffhanger and the sequel doesn't come out until next January. https://www.amazon.com/Cruel-Prince-.../dp/1478923733
I've gotten the first book in a series without realizing it before too! It's nice to find out there's more books if I liked it, but the wait can be soul-crushing if the next book isn't readily available. I was making an Excel list of books to check out of the library and actually have a column for noting that a book is in a series (and how many books are planned, if the series is finished, when the next comes out, etc.).

Really sad that the third book in Victoria Schwab's The Archived series may never happen. =/ Has anyone else started series that ended up not being finished?

Currently reading Valley Forge: George Washington and the Crucible of Victory by Newt Gingrich. It's the second book in a trilogy and it's been educational and well written so far--beautifully detailed, characters have some depth, and there's suspense even though it's history and I know how it ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 03:48 PM

443 posts, read 437,401 times
Just finished Crime and Punishment and need something easy. Going with I Let You Go by Clare MacKintosh and hoping that it's somewhat fast-paced.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:04 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
Just finished Crime and Punishment and need something easy. Going with I Let You Go by Clare MacKintosh and hoping that it's somewhat fast-paced.

Loved C&P, but right, you'd need a light book afterwards... The old movie was great too, starring Peter Lorre in the title role.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simons
was recommended by someone on the thread....delightful, fun and easy read....

Old 05-22-2018, 06:59 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Back from our vacation at the North Sea I can now say that I'm still not very far into Night Train to Lisbon. Has anybody read that book? I'm 160 pages in and I don't understand it yet I could cry. It has such a nice title and I like that cover. Moreover it has really great reviews but I'm at a loss. I even want to throw it away It even tops Eat, Pray, Love!

Anyway, I could finish The Night Trilogy by Elie Wiesel. His true story told in Night was really good. It was so sad. I didn't know that Dawn and Day were fictional works. They were okay but not outstanding. I wish it would have been about the same subject as his memoir Night.

I also finished Thirteen Reasons Why which I really loved! I finished it within 3 days and gave 5 out 5 stars. I have started the series on Netflix with hubby and we are quite surprised that it is pretty good (even though there are many things different to the book).

Now I'm nearly halfway through The Life List which is a quick and easy read even though the subject with the lost mother is a bit hard for me. I've lost my grandpa in March and it still hurts so much that these topics sometimes give me a good crying fit.

Next will be Cane River from Oprah's Book club.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:34 AM

188 posts, read 202,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Back from our vacation at the North Sea I can now say that I'm still not very far into Night Train to Lisbon. Has anybody read that book? I'm 160 pages in and I don't understand it yet I could cry. It has such a nice title and I like that cover. Moreover it has really great reviews but I'm at a loss. I even want to throw it away It even tops Eat, Pray, Love!

Anyway, I could finish The Night Trilogy by Elie Wiesel. His true story told in Night was really good. It was so sad. I didn't know that Dawn and Day were fictional works. They were okay but not outstanding. I wish it would have been about the same subject as his memoir Night.

I also finished Thirteen Reasons Why which I really loved! I finished it within 3 days and gave 5 out 5 stars. I have started the series on Netflix with hubby and we are quite surprised that it is pretty good (even though there are many things different to the book).

Now I'm nearly halfway through The Life List which is a quick and easy read even though the subject with the lost mother is a bit hard for me. I've lost my grandpa in March and it still hurts so much that these topics sometimes give me a good crying fit.

I've seen Thirteen Reasons why while browsing through books on the internet a lot and was always curious, but end up disregarding it when I read in the summary that the girl who commits suicide is the protagonist's crush. I've read a bunch of YA books where the main character instantly falls in love with a girl/guy that doesn't have much depth, and then their whole world starts revolving around this person and it really detracts from the story. Now I'm wary of anything that even hints of romance or teen drama related to it.

Does Thirteen Reasons Why have a lot of unnecessary romance in it?

Old 05-22-2018, 09:41 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:

Sorry to hear of your grandfather, mm....hard to lose a grandparent...

Old 05-22-2018, 10:03 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:

When I don't understand a book, I usually look it up on Wikipedia to get a head start. I find that even if I read some spoilers, it doesn't detract from the enjoyment of it. Either that or I just give up.

Sorry about losing your grandpa. Wishing you peace and comfort.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:20 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFebruary View Post
I've seen Thirteen Reasons why while browsing through books on the internet a lot and was always curious, but end up disregarding it when I read in the summary that the girl who commits suicide is the protagonist's crush. I've read a bunch of YA books where the main character instantly falls in love with a girl/guy that doesn't have much depth, and then their whole world starts revolving around this person and it really detracts from the story. Now I'm wary of anything that even hints of romance or teen drama related to it.

Does Thirteen Reasons Why have a lot of unnecessary romance in it?
I recall reading this a while back, and thought I recalled that my feeling was one of being underwhelmed. I just checked my goodreads, and I did give it 4 stars because it kept me turning the pages,but I didn't find it overall completely satisfying and I put it on a shelf I created called "Over-hyped YA." I don't recall an excessive amount of romance, although i read it a while ago. In my review I thought it wasn't a very realistic portrayal, and the "reasons" didn't seem like reasons to kill one's self. But, I can't recall in depth why I thought this.

Right now I'm reading a book called The Line Becomes a River, which is written by a former Border Patrol agent. I thought it would make for a unique perspective on the border issue, but so far I'm not really impressed with it. It seems to meander all over the place. I'm hoping it improves, but I'm about 2/3 of the way done, and I feel like it has gone nowhere.

I also started The Great Alone, which I do like, although I'm only a couple chapters in. I may have to put it on hold because I have two book club reads coming up: My neighborhood book club selected a book by Elin Hildebrand called Beautiful Day. I'm not looking forward to it. I've never read anything by this author, but I generally avoid pop fiction by authors who write a book a year, and aren't about anything particularly significant. Wasn't my choice, and I hope to get it at the library because I don't want to own it. (Anyone read it and can tell me that I will be pleasantly surprised because it is a fantastic book? Anyone? Please?) My other book club is reading How Democracies Die, so I'm looking forward to that, even though I know it will make me upset.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:01 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
I have I Let You Go on my list. I'm hoping it will be a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Loved C&P, but right, you'd need a light book afterwards... The old movie was great too, starring Peter Lorre in the title role.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simons
was recommended by someone on the thread....delightful, fun and easy read....
I found him too stuffy to be enjoyable. so I never finished it. I know it has good reviews. Does he become more likable? If so I may give it another go at some point

Quote:

I liked Thirteen Reasons Why. I only gave it 3 stars but that doesn't mean I didn't like it I thought it was good for the people to understand how what you say or do affects others.

I'm so sorry about your grandpa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post

Right now I'm reading a book called The Line Becomes a River, which is written by a former Border Patrol agent. I thought it would make for a unique perspective on the border issue, but so far I'm not really impressed with it. It seems to meander all over the place. I'm hoping it improves, but I'm about 2/3 of the way done, and I feel like it has gone nowhere.

I also started The Great Alone, which I do like, although I'm only a couple chapters in. I may have to put it on hold because I have two book club reads coming up: My neighborhood book club selected a book by Elin Hildebrand called Beautiful Day. I'm not looking forward to it. I've never read anything by this author, but I generally avoid pop fiction by authors who write a book a year, and aren't about anything particularly significant. Wasn't my choice, and I hope to get it at the library because I don't want to own it. (Anyone read it and can tell me that I will be pleasantly surprised because it is a fantastic book? Anyone? Please?) My other book club is reading How Democracies Die, so I'm looking forward to that, even though I know it will make me upset.

I added The Line Becomes a River but I'm in no rush to read it. In looking that up I came across another one you might like/be interested in:
God Save Texas: A Journey Into the Soul of the Lone Star State
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...god-save-texas

I have a couple of EH's books on my list but never got to any. Good luck.

Thanks I added HDD.

I loved The Great Alone. It actually reminded me a bit of Educated even though one is fiction and one a memoir.

I just started Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario on a recommendation here.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ique_s_Journey

and for my book club next week I started The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...rgotten-garden

I liked her "The Lake House" so hopefully this will be a good one.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:13 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I added The Line Becomes a River but I'm in no rush to read it. In looking that up I came across another one you might like/be interested in:
God Save Texas: A Journey Into the Soul of the Lone Star State
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...god-save-texas

I have a couple of EH's books on my list but never got to any. Good luck.

Thanks I added HDD.

I loved The Great Alone. It actually reminded me a bit of Educated even though one is fiction and one a memoir.

I just started Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario on a recommendation here.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ique_s_Journey

and for my book club next week I started The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...rgotten-garden

I liked her "The Lake House" so hopefully this will be a good one.
I don't know if I'm the one who recommended Enrique's Journey, but I frequently do recommend it and it is one of those books that I think everyone should read. I've occasionally participated in reddit "Secret Santa" exchanges and they usually do a book one every year. I've sent Enrique's Journey several times to people, especially when they say just to send a favorite book or that they're open to anything.

I actually have God Save Texas in my cart. I can't recall where I heard about it -- I saw something about it a few months back, I think, but I cannot remember even if I saw it on tv, or read a review or saw it mentioned in some other discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books