Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 10:38 AM

130,099 posts, read 12,082,762 times

Advertisements

"imbeciles" by Adam Cohen, about the eugenics movement & forced sterilization of poor people back in the 1900 -1920s. The content is eye popping, but it is a hard read. ( for my book club)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 05:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
"imbeciles" by Adam Cohen, about the eugenics movement & forced sterilization of poor people back in the 1900 -1920s. The content is eye popping, but it is a hard read. ( for my book club)
May be coming back into vogue...

Old 07-19-2018, 05:36 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Hail Hydra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
It wasn't just the poor - convicted criminals, inheritable insanity, habitual indolence, petty crime, uppity women, Blacks, an inconvenient wife (I suspect), all kinds of troublemakers & potential troublemakers were put under the knife, to keep their kind from reproducing. See also

War against the weak : eugenics and America's campaign to create a master race / Edwin Black, c2003, Four Walls Eight Windows, 363.97 Blac.

Subjects
• Eugenics -- United States -- History.
• Sterilization (Birth control) -- United States.
• Human reproduction -- Government policy -- United States.
• United States -- Social policy.
• United States -- Moral conditions.

Length
• xxviii, 550 pages, [14] pages of plates : index

Some states - IN, for example - tried to move even before enabling legislation was passed. I thought that the Nazi aberration (yes, they picked it up from US & UK lines of inquiry) & the horrors of WWII had put paid to this notion once & for all.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:09 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Started reading Anita Shreve's The Stars are Fire for my book club, but had to stop because I had Stephen Brill's book Tailspin out from the library and was unable to renew it. (Had Shreve's book from library, too, but I was allowed to renew that one.) So, I stopped reading the novel and am on a rampage to try to get through Tailspin before I have to return it in a few days. I'm really glad I did, though. Oh, there is so much insight and brilliance in this book! I think I am going to have to buy it (but at least now I can wait until it gets cheaper or I can get it used.) I'm sure I'll refer to it again. So much good stuff about what's gone wrong in our country.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:50 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Hey, Marlow - I was deleting books from my kindle when I came across Herbie Brennan. I know you liked Cornelia Funke and I think this series might be just the thing to get you back into reading. https://www.amazon.com/Faerie-Wars-C...herbie+brennan

Old 07-23-2018, 12:35 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Hey, Marlow - I was deleting books from my kindle when I came across Herbie Brennan. I know you liked Cornelia Funke and I think this series might be just the thing to get you back into reading. https://www.amazon.com/Faerie-Wars-C...herbie+brennan
Thank you for thinking of me and I'll check it out!

I'm reading The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace by Jeff Hobbs and it's breaking my heart. It's a very well-written story about a young, brilliant black man who grew up in extreme poverty in Newark, NJ. Through his intellect, work ethic, strong will, and with the help of his mother, he overcame the odds and was accepted at Yale where he continued to do very well academically. As the reader, you want this to story to have a happy ending, but you can see from the title that it does not.

https://www.amazon.com/Short-Tragic-.../dp/1476731918

Old 07-23-2018, 05:19 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,703 times
I just finished reading ...

Quote:
Michael Gibney's "Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line" is also a dispatch from the kitchen's "hot extended blast." Written in the second person, which gives the memoir an immediacy—"Your palate goes prone; gooseflesh stipples your neck"—the book is a minutely detailed account of a single day on the line at an unnamed "modern American" restaurant in downtown Manhattan. Beginning at 9 a.m., Mr. Gibney takes the reader through the preparation and plating of dishes to the late-night "clean down" and the heavy drinking that follows.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/book-re...ews-1397249830

I loved the enthusiasm the author has for the profession, the earthiness, and the second-person narrative. Highly recommended.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:35 PM

545 posts, read 411,379 times
I'm reading Ivanhoe. In case you wonder why, it's for my neighborhood book group.

Kill me now.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think maybe this book--there are editing mistakes mentioned in the reviews which people take lot of issue with--

https://www.amazon.com/Scales-Justic...ustomerReviews

It definitely supports the Kassabs' view that MacDonald did it
The writer apparently was "fan" of MacDonald's until he married his website administrator so she might have ax to grind but she presents a chronological timeline of ALL evidence and points out errors that McGinnis also included...
MacDonald is a sociopath--a very glib and manipulative one--
The fact that he still refuses to admit his guilt could be just as symptomatic of that level of narcissism as the idea that he is really not guilty--
I consider what I see Trump doing on a daily basis to lie and then lie about the lie w/absolute conviction IN HIS MIND--and that comes from the same refusal to admit responsibility MacDonald might have...
Thanks! That book is quite expensive. I'll have to keep an eye out to see if I can get it for less or at a library or something.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:50 AM

I finished up The Stars Are Fire, and I've got to say, if this is Anita Shreve, I don't get it. If this is her typical work, I'm baffled by the love for her. (Maybe she was a great person, but the story is trite, commonplace and just not very intriguing.) Many years ago I bought a copy of The Pilot's Wife, which always seems to get rave reviews. I never read it, but it's sitting around somewhere. I'll give that a read at some point because I already have it, but I'm not going to read anything else of her's. There's just too much out there that's worthwhile to read. I can find mindless entertainment anywhere (and I occasionally enjoy it -- I just don't get the raves that so many producers of it seem to get.)

Reading a memoir about Harold Ramis called Ghostbuster's Daughter that I got at the library. We share an alma mater, and he's our most famous alum. I read a good review of the book, so I put in a request at the library and it came through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books