Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 08:37 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,652,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I finished up The Stars Are Fire, and I've got to say, if this is Anita Shreve, I don't get it. If this is her typical work, I'm baffled by the love for her. (Maybe she was a great person, but the story is trite, commonplace and just not very intriguing.) Many years ago I bought a copy of The Pilot's Wife, which always seems to get rave reviews. I never read it, but it's sitting around somewhere. I'll give that a read at some point because I already have it, but I'm not going to read anything else of her's. There's just too much out there that's worthwhile to read. I can find mindless entertainment anywhere (and I occasionally enjoy it -- I just don't get the raves that so many producers of it seem to get.)

Reading a memoir about Harold Ramis called Ghostbuster's Daughter that I got at the library. We share an alma mater, and he's our most famous alum. I read a good review of the book, so I put in a request at the library and it came through.
The Pilot's Wife is the only Anita Shreve book I've tried to read and I couldn't finish it. I just chalked it up to not every book being for every person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 09:18 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,763,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The Pilot's Wife is the only Anita Shreve book I've tried to read and I couldn't finish it. I just chalked it up to not every book being for every person.
Same here....never got through any of her works

Old 07-24-2018, 12:58 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,697,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
That's for sure. I guess I just expected more, given how much I'd heard about her and the fact that it was suggested by a member of my book club (we're reading it for a book club) and this is not at all the sort of book my book club tends to read. We actually prefer nonfiction overall, but try to alternate or at least get every third or so book as a novel, just to keep us reading some novels. Usually our books have a little more substance to them. I fully agree that there are and should be a variety of books out there for every taste --- Romance novels are some of the best selling books out there and I'm glad a lot of people enjoy them, but I never read them. I just thought this would be better.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:23 PM

7,263 posts, read 9,259,546 times
I don't know which Anita Shreve book I tried to read but it didn't work for me then. I might try a book of hers again as I just don't remember enough about why I couldn't read the book. I have to say that the comments by others here have me thinking it probably just doesn't work for me.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:41 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,763,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I don't know which Anita Shreve book I tried to read but it didn't work for me then. I might try a book of hers again as I just don't remember enough about why I couldn't read the book. I have to say that the comments by others here have me thinking it probably just doesn't work for me.
She was a popular author... so I guess most of us here just have different tastes...we do seem to like most of each other's recommendations.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:29 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,237,621 times
Canadians Esi Edugyan and Michael Ondaatje are among 13 writers nominated for the 2018 Man Booker Prize. (CBC)

If Washington Blackby Edugyan is half as good as Half-Blood Blues,
I'll be happy. I have Ondaatje's Warlight on hold. I did like Cat's Table. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to read this summer.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:16 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,652,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Canadians Esi Edugyan and Michael Ondaatje are among 13 writers nominated for the 2018 Man Booker Prize. (CBC)

If Washington Blackby Edugyan is half as good as Half-Blood Blues,
I'll be happy. I have Ondaatje's Warlight on hold. I did like Cat's Table. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to read this summer.
I loved The English Patient by Ondaatje. It's very different from the movie and I thought it was wonderful. I remember liking Cat's Table, although I don't remember what it was about other than boys on a ship.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:29 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,007,107 times
Im currently reading "Dollbaby " by Laura Lane McNeal someone on here likened it to "Saving CeeCee Honeycutt " by beth Hoffman which I loved . I hope I like this one as well I just started it so we shall see .

Old 07-26-2018, 05:25 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,668,819 times
Just finished first in series by the writer of the Dublin Murder Squad series--Nicci French
Titled "Blue Monday"-- main character is Dr. Frieda Klein, a London psychotherapist, who becomes involved in a kidnapping case and has problems of her own...not the most cuddly of main characters--reminded me of Jane Tennison in some ways
Interesting because the police play tangential role--likely will try book 2--"Thursday's Children"
So seems this series has a day-of-the-week title theme...

Last edited by loves2read; 07-26-2018 at 05:36 AM..

Old 07-26-2018, 05:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,668,819 times
Also re-read "Fallen Out" by Wayne Stinnett in the Jesse MacDermitt series--retired Marine recon/sniper who becomes boat captain in the Middle Keys and becomes involved in Homeland Security OP's--written as a prequel after the initial 3 novels came along--
I enjoy this one more than the others because the conflict developes more realistically than some and isn't so politicized...
I have second home in FL and enjoy reading novels set there and also this one of the series reminds me of the Travis McGee novels more than the others...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books