Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 07:11 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I like both kinds of fiction but many of the well written fiction stories are like listening to a long winded person Just get to the point already I'm more about the story than the writing in a lot of cases...but we all enjoy different things
A really good novel will have good writing as well as good storytelling. Both are required skills for a good writer.

In a related note, one of my beefs with a lot of current films is that we seem to have given up the storytelling. So many of the movies my son sees barely have a plot and are mostly just strung together sequences of fighting and chasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 07:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
A really good novel will have good writing as well as good storytelling. Both are required skills for a good writer.

In a related note, one of my beefs with a lot of current films is that we seem to have given up the storytelling. So many of the movies my son sees barely have a plot and are mostly just strung together sequences of fighting and chasing.

Ugh...Movies today are awful. Boys/men do seem to like those quick action movies

Old 09-20-2018, 08:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I left Life After Life at work last weekend so I started Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan. It's non-fiction and a quick and terrifying read about a young woman with an autoimmune issue that caused her body to attack her brain. She went from being a bright, normal, independent 20-something journalist to having seizures and psychotic episodes and she lost her ability to read, write, and speak in a matter of weeks. Some really smart doctors figured it out and were able to successfully treat her. A movie based on the book is on Netflix right now.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:01 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Ugh...Movies today are awful. Boys/men do seem to like those quick action movies
I wouldn't mind so much if there were a plot/story to go along with the action. But it's all action and zero story -- what passes for a "story" doesn't generally make any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I left Life After Life at work last weekend so I started Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan. It's non-fiction and a quick and terrifying read about a young woman with an autoimmune issue that caused her body to attack her brain. She went from being a bright, normal, independent 20-something journalist to having seizures and psychotic episodes and she lost her ability to read, write, and speak in a matter of weeks. Some really smart doctors figured it out and were able to successfully treat her. A movie based on the book is on Netflix right now.
I have Life After Life in my TBR pile, where it has been for years.

Brain on Fire was fantastic. I knew about the movie but had forgotten about it, so thanks for reminding me of it -- I need to put it in my queue. This condition was fascinating -- I had known about it already because a neighbor's daughter had the same condition, although it was much worse than Cahalan's. The daughter was 7 years old and was in a coma/non verbal vegetative state for a year and a half. It was heart wrenching to see it happening. The daughter has had a good recovery, but lost all memory of her first seven years, and had to re-learn everything.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:44 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
THat is my next book club read. I am pushing myself now to read Eleanor and Hick. It started out pretty interesting but it's getting bogged down in details that I don't find very meaningful. Still a very fascinating story. Not sure what I think of it (and I am at 40%).

I read a few things by Rick Bragg and really enjoyed his writing . I know I read All Over But the Shoutin and totally enjoyed it. I think that might have been the first book I read of his, Really a good story teller and what a childhood.

I think you will love Pachinko, I have had to stop reading it for a few days, as it was getting too intense & I was upset at an event. But it is teaching me a lot about the history of Korea & Japan that I was unaware of too. I am reading it for the next book club meeting too

Old 09-20-2018, 11:42 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
I just finished One Hundred Years of Solitude, which I didn't enjoy. I had to really, really push myself through it to finish it. Magic realism just isn't for me.

I am working on Bad Blood at the moment, about Theranos.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:05 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Me again. I finished Katerina. I cried. It's actually a beautiful story and if the 80% mark thing (as reported above; I refuse to narcissistic-quote myself AGAIN) meant what I felt that it meant (no spoilers), it's a really sad but beautiful story.

Next up: A Heart in a Body in the World by Deb Caletti.
Dawn, neither Katerina nor a novel you recommended earlier, Sadie, are in the Austin Public Library system for some reason. I looked on Amazon and they both get good reviews.

Is there something about these two books that would make a library system skip them, do you know? I'm a little baffled - your reviews, and those on Amazon sound good.

I haven't had the experience of looking for a book title before and NOT finding it in the Austin library system and this morning that's two in a row.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:02 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,163,964 times
Steel Storm
Waffen SS Panzer Battles on the Eastern Front by Tim Ribley

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steel-Storm.../dp/0785828699

Old 09-21-2018, 09:46 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Still soldiering on with Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
1168 pages, but I'm enjoying reading it again after so many years.

Doubt I'd do it again, though.

Has anyone read Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand?
Just picked up a copy to read at appointments because of her other novels ie Secretariat.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:15 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

Has anyone read Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand?
Just picked up a copy to read at appointments because of her other novels ie Secretariat.
I think a lot of us have. It's definitely worth a read.

It was the first book I read about the Japanese POW. The book was very good, a little long in parts, and to me some of it a little too unbelievable. I would have liked to have heard more about Louie's life after the war as that would make him "unbroken" after the fact once he was home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books