Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2018, 01:38 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times

Advertisements

It took me something like a month to read -- SO BUSY! -- but it was very good: Dear Evelyn by Kathy Page. It was a character study, really, of a marriage. Lovely.

Next up and this will take a month too -- STILL SO BUSY! -- even though it's only 228 pages is My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite. More likely: I'll bail on it. It doesn't seem like my type of book, but I'll give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 05:04 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Well I finished The Keeper of Lost Things last night, and, as I find quite frequently, the last bits did not live up to the great writing and story that had me enthralled.
I would still recommend it though but whereas I was really taken in by it and just wanted to stay in and read for most of it, at the end it became a bit of a chore.

So much to read next, but I am going to try The Winter Garden next which is for a book club in a few weeks. I have never rad any of Kristin Hannah's books so that's another reason to delve into it. Have to go to the library today to pick up the actual book. (lately been lucky enough to get the kindle version from the library but not for this one).

Old 11-25-2018, 06:37 PM

443 posts, read 437,717 times
I'm halfway through Ruth Ware's The Death of Mrs. Westaway and I'm bored. I keep waiting for it to get good but it doesn't look like it's going to pick up anytime soon. I'm so disappointed.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
I'm now reading "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens, and I understand why there are 67 holds on 22 copies in my library.

Fabulous.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:12 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm now reading "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens, and I understand why there are 67 holds on 22 copies in my library.

Fabulous.
I'm number 93 of of 3 copies.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-26-2018, 04:21 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Fabulous.
It's funny because it seems that out of nowhere I am hearing about this book all over the place. I also reserved it (kindle, regular , large print) and I know I was pretty far along the list as well.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:34 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
American Heiress: The Wild Saga of the Kidnapping, Crimes and Trial of Patty Hearst by Jeffrey Toobin

Old 11-26-2018, 06:56 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Just finished wideacre by phillipa Gregory. I really enjoy her books for a light historical fiction but this was the first book I read of hers that wasnt based on actual historical figures. And holy incest murder scheming crazy. I don't know if I liked it or not but I needed to finish it. So many subplots and both predictable and unpredictable story twists

Aw, I loved the Wide Acre trilogy. I made my mom read it in English and she also enjoyed it very much
I also liked some of her other books (The Other Boleyn Girl - my all time favorite about this family, The Boleyn Inheritance and The Constant Princess).

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finished the last in The Good Earth trilogy and I don't know when I've read a finer observer of life. Growing up, the church library had a book or books by Pearl S. Buck and since I didn't have a great experience with the library's choice of books, I never read her before.

Sounds good, went right on my to-read list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I like to have an audio book going for doing stuff around the house, so I listened to one by Betty White, I adore her, but the book was so-so.

Audio books are the only things I get from the local library. Since they don't have a big range of English books I have to buy them online . However, I do love to listen when I'm driving to work, cooking and cleaning. Even DH started to listen to them when he's driving to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Last week I attended a presentation by a local guy who did a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail a couple of years ago. It inspired me to read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. It was my bedtime reading last night, and at one point I almost laughed myself right out of bed.

That one sounds very interesting. At the beginning of this year I read Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest trail which was really really good. So A Walk in the Woods might be up my lane.

I'm still struggling with The Narrow Road to the Deep North but could finish My Life Next Door. This is a very nice young adult love story with a nice twist. For a challenge I also read Fannie Flagg's A Redbird Christmas. I loved this little book, what a sweet story.
I'm also nearly halfway through The Devil's Punchbowl by Greg Iles. This is okay but not as good as some of his other books.

Next on will be

The Rosie Project
The Magician's Guild

Old 11-26-2018, 07:55 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Aw, I loved the Wide Acre trilogy. I made my mom read it in English and she also enjoyed it very much
I also liked some of her other books (The Other Boleyn Girl - my all time favorite about this family, The Boleyn Inheritance and The Constant Princess).

That one sounds very interesting. At the beginning of this year I read Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest trail which was really really good. So A Walk in the Woods might be up my lane
I loved the Wide Acre Trilogy too. And the other Philippa Gregory books you mentioned . . . she's one of my favorite authors.

A Walk In The Woods is hilarious! If you know Bill Bryson, you know his humor. Great book. Wild is good - loved it in fact and could see myself making that hike if only I didn't have a bad back and crummy knees. I saw the movie twice and as usual I preferred the book.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:38 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,221 times
I finished Hugh Nissenson's The Tree of Life which was really very strange for a historical novel. Started My Dear Hamilton: A Novel of Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books