Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2018, 09:01 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,999 times

Advertisements

The consuming fire / John Scalzi, 1969- , c2018, TOR.

Subjects
  • Space and time -- Fiction.
  • Interplanetary voyages -- Fiction.
  • Life on other planets -- Fiction.
  • Imaginary wars and battles -- Fiction.
Summary
  • "The Interdependency, humanity's interstellar empire, is on the verge of collapse. The Flow, the extra-dimensional conduit that makes travel between the stars possible, is disappearing, leaving entire star systems stranded. When it goes, human civilization may go with it--unless desperate measures can be taken. Emperox Grayland II, the leader of the Interdependency, is ready to take those measures to help ensure the survival of billions. But nothing is ever that easy. Arrayed before her are those who believe the collapse of the Flow is a myth--or at the very least, an opportunity that can allow them to ascend to power. While Grayland prepares for disaster, others are preparing for a civil war, a war that will take place in the halls of power, the markets of business, and the altars of worship as much as it will take place between spaceships and battlefields. The Emperox and her allies are smart and resourceful, but so are her enemies. Nothing about this power struggle will be simple or easy... and all of humanity will be caught in its widening gyre" -- Provided by publisher.
Series
  • Interdependency series ; 2
  • Interdependency
Length
  • 316 pages ;
But it reads like a charm. His second entry in the end of empire series. Musings on prophecy, church & state, human nature in its glory & grotesquerie, statecraft. A galloping read. Some racy language & scenes. I laughed out loud, here & there. An excellent read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 11:06 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,783,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post

So much to read next, but I am going to try The Winter Garden next which is for a book club in a few weeks. I have never rad any of Kristin Hannah's books so that's another reason to delve into it. Have to go to the library today to pick up the actual book. (lately been lucky enough to get the kindle version from the library but not for this one).
Kristin Hannah is a really good author. My favorite book of hers is The Nightingale. I bought The Winter Garden a couple years back for my kindle, a good read. Her latest book, The Great Alone was the only book of hers I disliked.

Anyway, I just finished up The Lighthouse Keepers Daughter, it was only fair.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:23 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I ordered "The Winter Sisters " off amazon on the recommendation of another book pal and it is written by Robin Olivera the same author who wrote "My name is Mary Sutter " and if you have not read that one I highly recommend it . I absolutely have been waiting for Ms Olivera to write another book . I should get my other book that I have been dying to read "As bright as heaven " by susan Meissner that Dawn recommended on here tomorrow . I sure hope so anyways . I have been waiting for it to get here seems like amazon takes forever these day for books .

Old 12-02-2018, 05:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tileygrouty View Post
Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup
by John Carreyrou

TY for that. I've added it to my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Just read "Etched in Sand" by Regina Calcaterra, a true life account of her mother's abuse and awful , shameful, treatment of her and her 4 sibs. Both at home (backseat of an old car) and in foster homes. It starts when Regina is a toddler and ends with the life she has now. Enlightening, yet hard to read. Life in the welfare system in Long Is. NY in the 70s. Hopefully things have changed now for these kids. There are 14,000 foster kids in AZ today.
I've had that on my kindle for awhile now. I need to be in the right mindset for that one.

Quote:
Well I finished The Keeper of Lost Things last night, and, as I find quite frequently, the last bits did not live up to the great writing and story that had me enthralled.
I would still recommend it though but whereas I was really taken in by it and just wanted to stay in and read for most of it, at the end it became a bit of a chore.

So much to read next, but I am going to try The Winter Garden next which is for a book club in a few weeks. I have never rad any of Kristin Hannah's books so that's another reason to delve into it. Have to go to the library today to pick up the actual book. (lately been lucky enough to get the kindle version from the library but not for this one).

I've had TKOLT on my list for a long time. One of these days I will get to it.

Enjoy Winter Garden. I really like Kristin Hannah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Kristin Hannah is a really good author. My favorite book of hers is The Nightingale. I bought The Winter Garden a couple years back for my kindle, a good read. Her latest book, The Great Alone was the only book of hers I disliked.
I also liked The Nightingale but I also really liked The Great Alone. What didn't you like about it?

Did you read Firefly Lane? That was another good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I ordered "The Winter Sisters " off amazon on the recommendation of another book pal and it is written by Robin Olivera the same author who wrote "My name is Mary Sutter " and if you have not read that one I highly recommend it . I absolutely have been waiting for Ms Olivera to write another book . I should get my other book that I have been dying to read "As bright as heaven " by susan Meissner that Dawn recommended on here tomorrow . I sure hope so anyways . I have been waiting for it to get here seems like amazon takes forever these day for books .
Hope you get it soon. I just checked and my library has "My name is Mary Sutter " .

Like I said I've been reading a lot of cookbooks, books on puppy training, and books about Shih Tzus. I have read a few others:

I read and enjoyed Ava's Man by Rick Bragg.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/108067.Ava_s_Man

If The Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss which was also good. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...eek-don-t-rise

Brain On Fire was excellent. TY Liz

The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks was an OK read. Nothing unexpected. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ife-between-us

and
Look For Me by Lisa Gardner A DD Warren novel. I really liked this one and enjoyed the characters. It was a good police/crime book.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...81-look-for-me

Sorry that I didn't add any more of my thoughts. My brain is kind of fried in this puppy training household, lol. OK...gotta feed the goats. It's been raining and they are not happy kids, lol.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
TY for that. I've added it to my list.

I've had that on my kindle for awhile now. I need to be in the right mindset for that one.

I've had TKOLT on my list for a long time. One of these days I will get to it.

Enjoy Winter Garden. I really like Kristin Hannah.

I also liked The Nightingale but I also really liked The Great Alone. What didn't you like about it?

Did you read Firefly Lane? That was another good one.

Hope you get it soon. I just checked and my library has "My name is Mary Sutter " .

Like I said I've been reading a lot of cookbooks, books on puppy training, and books about Shih Tzus. I have read a few others:

I read and enjoyed Ava's Man by Rick Bragg.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/108067.Ava_s_Man

If The Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss which was also good. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...eek-don-t-rise

Brain On Fire was excellent. TY Liz

The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks was an OK read. Nothing unexpected. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ife-between-us

and
Look For Me by Lisa Gardner A DD Warren novel. I really liked this one and enjoyed the characters. It was a good police/crime book.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...81-look-for-me

Sorry that I didn't add any more of my thoughts. My brain is kind of fried in this puppy training household, lol. OK...gotta feed the goats. It's been raining and they are not happy kids, lol.

hey If you want a good book on dogs then you must read the secret language of dog by Victoria Stillwell you might remember her from her tv show :it's me or the dog and she is one of britains leading authorities on dogs and their behavior and I have learned so much reading this book it is awesome .

Old 12-02-2018, 06:14 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
hey If you want a good book on dogs then you must read the secret language of dog by Victoria Stillwell you might remember her from her tv show :it's me or the dog and she is one of britains leading authorities on dogs and their behavior and I have learned so much reading this book it is awesome .

TY...I will look for it. I think this pup would be great at agility training. She is so energetic and loves playing fetch at 10 weeks old. She is wearing me out, lol.

I forgot to add that I am about 3/4's the way through Alas, Babylon which was written in 1959 and set in some familiar(to me) small FL towns. It is about a complete wipeout of cities and governments around the world in one day after nuclear and atomic weapons(again 1959). It is very good so far
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38169.Alas_Babylon

Old 12-02-2018, 06:45 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
It must have been someone else who recommended it. I've never even heard of that book or that author. I hope that you enjoy it, though.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Anyway meet Princess because she is going to be spoiled rotten.
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...new-puppy.html
OMG! LOVE! Have fun!!!!! She's a very lucky princess to be with you and Mike.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:53 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I don't know if I am repeating myself but commenting on the very full posts above------
I loved everything I have read by Rick Bragg (Ava's Man) and I just looked and I don't remember reading a few of them (wooden churches? ) so will scout some of those out.
I am almost finished with Winter Garden and while I recognize what a strong writer she is, and what good story she tells, I am not adoring it. (maybe the last 40 pages will change that).
KOLT was just so sweet and a good read.
Susan Meissner is the author of Secrets Of a Charmed Life which I read a few weeks ago and enjoyed so I will be looking for As Bright As Heaven.

I am in 3 book clubs, and seem to be caught up at the moment so not sure what I will read after I finish Winter Garden-----hopefully something I have or can get on kindlefromtheliberrybecauseIdofinditsoeasytoread. Winter Sister/MarySutter sounds good.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I don't know if I am repeating myself but commenting on the very full posts above------
I loved everything I have read by Rick Bragg (Ava's Man) and I just looked and I don't remember reading a few of them (wooden churches? ) so will scout some of those out.
I am almost finished with Winter Garden and while I recognize what a strong writer she is, and what good story she tells, I am not adoring it. (maybe the last 40 pages will change that).
KOLT was just so sweet and a good read.
Susan Meissner is the author of Secrets Of a Charmed Life which I read a few weeks ago and enjoyed so I will be looking for As Bright As Heaven.

I am in 3 book clubs, and seem to be caught up at the moment so not sure what I will read after I finish Winter Garden-----hopefully something I have or can get on kindlefromtheliberrybecauseIdofinditsoeasytoread. Winter Sister/MarySutter sounds good.

may read My name is mary sutter and then read winter sisters the second book winter sisters takes place after my name is mary sutter . I loved my name is mary sutter . I must apologize to dawn then because she is not the one who recommended it . Now AS bright as heaven takes place during the Spanish flu epidemic I have read many books on the Spanish flu epidemic that hit this country and the world very hard . I watched a tv show once and cant remember the name of it but it was made by Kevin Sullivan and it was a family series but two of the main players had gone to spain to look for a family member believed to be dead and one other family member came down with it and she was flown to the hospital because the roads were impassible and it would take too long to get to the hospital but she survived and not many did from what I have read .I just remember the name of the show was Wind at my back ….Canadian series .

Last edited by phonelady61; 12-02-2018 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books