Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 08:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Aw, I loved the Wide Acre trilogy. I made my mom read it in English and she also enjoyed it very much
I also liked some of her other books (The Other Boleyn Girl - my all time favorite about this family, The Boleyn Inheritance and The Constant Princess).

Sounds good, went right on my to-read list

Audio books are the only things I get from the local library. Since they don't have a big range of English books I have to buy them online . However, I do love to listen when I'm driving to work, cooking and cleaning. Even DH started to listen to them when he's driving to work

That one sounds very interesting. At the beginning of this year I read Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest trail which was really really good. So A Walk in the Woods might be up my lane.

I'm still struggling with The Narrow Road to the Deep North but could finish My Life Next Door. This is a very nice young adult love story with a nice twist. For a challenge I also read Fannie Flagg's A Redbird Christmas. I loved this little book, what a sweet story.
I'm also nearly halfway through The Devil's Punchbowl by Greg Iles. This is okay but not as good as some of his other books.

Next on will be

The Rosie Project
The Magician's Guild
Love me some Phillipa Gregory! And if you like her, you may also really like Norah Lofts - she's one of my very favorite authors too. Maybe try out "A Wayside Tavern" first - I think it may be my favorite Norah Lofts book.

I also really, really, really love Bill Bryson. I got on a Bryson kick when I accidentally picked up one of his books at a book store and finally got so embarrassed about standing there laughing out loud reading it that I decided, "Heck, I better just buy this book." Since then, I've bought most of his books! Once again, if you like Bill Bryson, check out Bruce Feiler too - he's not as intentionally funny but he writes a lot of books about travel and subcultures and he's very entertaining and does bring a smile to my face when I read his books.

Right now I just got done reading Sally Fields' autobiography (which I couldn't put down) and am now reading The Fabulous Bouvier Sisters, a bio about the relationship between Jackie Bouvier Kennedy Onassis and her sister Lee (aka Caroline Lee) Bouvier Radziwell. It's very good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 01:51 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
I am finally reading Olive Kitterage. It took me awhile to get into it, but now I am hooked. It's depressing, so I am not making a lot of headway fast.

Books I've loved in the past months

"Ice Claw: Danger Zone Africa" by David Gilman
Totally unbelievable story about a young teenage boy's amazing feats of heroism

"Tallgrass" by Sandra Dallas, read by Lorelei King
What it's like when a Japanese internment camp moves nearby

"The Wife Between Us" by Greer Hendricks, read by Sarah Pekkanen
Fascinating story about a man, a woman, and a woman

"Out of the Easy" by Ruta Sepetys
It swept me away, rocked me down to my socks, and left me wanting more.

"The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls
I could not put this one down, and wanted to slap the parents until their skin was raw. If this woman could write fiction, she would be a star.

"Help for the Haunted" by John Searles
Haunting.

"An African American and Latinx History of the United States" by Paul Ortiz
I couldn't read this one, but gave it five stars anyway because what I could read of it was gripping. Too gripping. My heart was squeezed to breaking and I got so angry that my blood pressure rose to discomfort. The next time someone talks to me about the sanctity of our Constitution, I may have to hiss at them and insist they read this book. If you loved Howard Zinn's "People's History of the United States" you will marvel at this. I hope you are stronger than I was and can actually read it through.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Crime out in God's country

Heartshot / Steven F. Havill, c1991, Poisoned Pen Press.

Subjects
  • Gastner, Bill (Fictitious character) -- Fiction.
  • Sheriffs -- Fiction.
  • Mystery fiction.
  • New Mexico -- Fiction.
Summary
  • Posadas County, New Mexico, hugging the San Cristobal mountains separating it from Mexico, has very few mean streets. No city-slick cop shop either, but an earnest, elected Sheriff and his aging Undersheriff, William C. Gastner. Pushing sixty, and the girth of his Sam Browne uniform belt, widower Bill has no other life than in law enforcement--and doesn't want one, even if he's being nudged gently towards retirement. Then big time trouble strikes. A car full of teens out by the lake, running from a stop by Deputy Torrez, goes airborne into a rocky outcrop, killing all five kids and revealing a package under the seat. A stash of cocaine this size argues someone--or ones--has brought big time crime to the county. Were the dead kids merely innocent dupes? Partying that July Fourth night? Dealing? Searching for answers, Bill deploys his department while dealing with grieving parents, one of whom starts packing a gun. Then …
Length
  • 217 pages ;
This is the first of the Posadas County mysteries, & Havill gets off to an excellent start. Undersheriff Gastner is an old-fashioned guy, struggling in modern times. Good local color, a good grasp of the local cultures, police work, doctoring, the local geography. An excellent read, an excellent start to the series.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I am finally reading Olive Kitterage. It took me awhile to get into it, but now I am hooked. It's depressing, so I am not making a lot of headway fast.

I could not put this one down, and wanted to slap the parents until their skin was raw. If this woman could write fiction, she would be a star.

Haunting.

I couldn't read this one, but gave it five stars anyway because what I could read of it was gripping. Too gripping. My heart was squeezed to breaking and I got so angry that my blood pressure rose to discomfort. The next time someone talks to me about the sanctity of our Constitution, I may have to hiss at them and insist they read this book. If you loved Howard Zinn's "People's History of the United States" you will marvel at this. I hope you are stronger than I was and can actually read it through.
I absolutely could not put the book "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls down. Fascinating. I thought the movie was pretty good but the book was excellent - as is so often the case.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:53 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Haunting.

I loved tallgrass by Sandra dallas . I love her books too .

Old 12-02-2018, 06:11 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I absolutely could not put the book "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls down. Fascinating. I thought the movie was pretty good but the book was excellent - as is so often the case.
My husband kept telling me to read that book for YEARS, I was "meh, doesn't sound interesting." Finally did, and OMG, it was amazing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-03-2018, 12:23 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,229 times
Finally finished "The Devil's Punchbowl" by Greg Iles. It was one of the worst / most boring books I've ever read. I have read several of Iles' books in the past and all were much better. It was very brutal (about dog fights) and I needed to skip some pages here and there.

Yesterday I started The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:40 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
The Rosie Project sounded like something I thought I should read but also sounded familiar~~ just checked goodreads and see I did read it! Now I think I remember it- it was a good read and entertaining but I don't think I adored it.

So I did finish The Winter Garden and it's definitely a very good book and it sure got me teary BUT I would give it like 3 to 4 stars.

After reading Mayberry's Out of the Easy rave, I just went and got it on my kindle from the library. Here's hoping I love it as you did.Thanks! Will let you know once I start it.

Last edited by Mayvenne; 12-03-2018 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: title bold

Old 12-03-2018, 06:08 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
I really enjoyed The Rosie Project. I like quirky characters

Agreed about Winter Garden. I thought is was very good but not one of her better books for me.

Out of the Easy was very good. It is a YA and yes another one who like The Glass Castle.

For those who liked Glass Castle try Educated. It is excellent.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,165,924 times
The History of the Waffen-SS: 1925-1945
Tim Ripley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books