Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2018, 09:19 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times

Advertisements

For quick fun...

Julia Child, A Life
by Laura Shapiro

A funny but spot on bio of the hilarious and seriously dedicated chef whose French cooking show and books changed the way we think of and cook French cuisine.

She had an exciting life and was a delight to watch and her books awesome in the way they explained and taught French food prep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 04:07 PM

3,788 posts, read 1,752,408 times
The Invisible Bridge, by Julie Orringer. It was a good book but could have been half the size. It tended to go on and on toward the end.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:12 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
Now onto

A Dark Night in Aurora
by William Reid, MD

Inside James Holmes and the Colorado Mass Shootings

Old 12-22-2018, 04:19 PM

965 posts, read 934,596 times
The immortalists - Chloe Benjamin

So far I love it, and it has rave reviews.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:57 PM

6,783 posts, read 4,767,713 times
I am going to start "When the rich men burned" by Malcolm Mackay tomorrow.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:14 AM

44,590 posts, read 61,412,482 times
I just picked up a copy of "Who's Boat is This Boat."

Old 12-23-2018, 04:24 AM

4,712 posts, read 4,386,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I finally finished "The Winter Sisters" by Robin Oliveira . Another good one . That is some kind of record for me . I thoroughly enjoyed this one as well and I actually like the way the author ended it . So everybody if you are looking for a good book then I highly recommend this one . It is a good book . One I did not want to end so im on to the next one .
Good recommendation, thank you. I did get the other one My Name is Mary Sutter by that author also recommended here. (I have my reading ready and available from the library - have to get really busy now ).

I cannot quote but
The Immortalists
sounds really good too!

I finished Killers of the Flower Moon yesterday. It's definitely worth reading as the subject is mind boggling and NON FICTION. I did not find the writing or the presentation so great but that might be me as I see the book is really well regarded and a contender for all sorts of awards.

I just started Eleanor Oliphant last night, and can see it will be an effortless read.
Don't quite know what to make of it yet, but it's a good one!!

Old 12-23-2018, 07:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,520,053 times
I'm happy to report that The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) has indeed turned out to be more than just a long backstory, but flips back and forth and seems more interesting for it. Still, in these busy times it is so hard for me to just sit and read.

So, on the listening:

I just finished Sue Monk Kidd's "The Invention of Wings" and yes it was increasingly hard to read -- how can people be so blind to the fact that others are people to? -- but worth the anguish for the characters and the end was thrilling and scary and left me gasping with relief for the potential it leaves in its wake. Definitely a five star book for me.

Now, this morning I started "Messing with the Enemy: Surviving in a Social Media World of Hackers, Terrorists, Russians, and Fake News" by Clint Watts, read by Joe Knezevich.

Frankly, the author seems more than a little filled with himself and all the boasting is getting a bit tiresome, but I hope he gets over that and moves deeper into his story. It IS interesting how he has gotten to a place where he has been an online correspondent with various jihadists, and hopefully his experiences will enlighten those of us that have no military counter-espionage skills on how to protect ourselves from the nefarious.

I have three other audiobooks checked out to follow on, but everything in its own time.

Meanwhile, Merry Christmas to all those that observe the holiday, and Happy New Year to everyone.

Deb

Old 12-23-2018, 09:11 AM

48,445 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Just started The Bonesetter's Daughter, and off setting that with a Dave Barry book on Vacations (humor), and Dark Places (Gillian Flynn) on audio.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-23-2018, 09:39 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,701,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
So, on the listening:

Now, this morning I started "Messing with the Enemy: Surviving in a Social Media World of Hackers, Terrorists, Russians, and Fake News" by Clint Watts, read by Joe Knezevich.

Frankly, the author seems more than a little filled with himself and all the boasting is getting a bit tiresome, but I hope he gets over that and moves deeper into his story. It IS interesting how he has gotten to a place where he has been an online correspondent with various jihadists, and hopefully his experiences will enlighten those of us that have no military counter-espionage skills on how to protect ourselves from the nefarious.

I have three other audiobooks checked out to follow on, but everything in its own time.

Meanwhile, Merry Christmas to all those that observe the holiday, and Happy New Year to everyone.

Deb
I just read this and found it very worthwhile and informative. While I got a little bit of the sense about the author being impressed with himself, it was not enough for me to find it distracting or overwhelming (or even something that made me think all that much about it.) But, I saw in the reviews that a lot of people that listened to the audio did have this feeling, so it makes me think that there's either something about the narrator (maybe his voice or delivery) that magnifies this or maybe just hearing it read out loud makes this aspect more obvious.

I really liked the book and found it very enlightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books