Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 04:58 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,595,590 times

Advertisements

I just stared "If Nobody speaks of remarkable things" by Jon Mc Gregor and so far it is quite wonderful, the prose is pure poetry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 07:34 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,667,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I have The Historian on my shelf, haven't felt inspired to read it...maybe I'll give it another look.

Just finished East of Eden. Don't know why it has taken me this long to read, I really enjoyed it!

Now tomorrow I can open Under the Dome.
It took me about 100 pages to really start liking The Historian. So if you do pick it up and don't like it, or are confused at first, give it a chance. It gets better.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:34 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,444,360 times
Presently reading, Everthing Asian, by Sung J. Woo. A coming of age book told mostly through the eyes of a 12 year old, Korean boy. The story pretty much covers difficulties of immagrant families adjusting to new cultures. I am finding the story to be quite interesting and insightful. Reading this book has already opened my eyes to some things about a different culture. Though slow at times, just that fact that I've gained some knowledge, has made what's lacking, worth reading through those parts of the book.

The past month has not been easy for me to find something that held my attention through more than one chapter. I tried quite a few books that were supposedly great reads and just found them totally boring. To name a couple off the top of my head, Doghead, and Teathered. So, having made it to at least the fifth or sixth chapter of Everything Asian, I'm thrilled.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:44 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,791,021 times
I just started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:07 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,081,886 times
I'm reading

Kingdom of Fear - Hunter S. Thompson. ...

Old 02-10-2010, 05:20 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,444,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I have The Historian on my shelf, haven't felt inspired to read it...maybe I'll give it another look.

Just finished East of Eden. Don't know why it has taken me this long to read, I really enjoyed it!

Now tomorrow I can open Under the Dome.
Back in the 90's I picked up a copy of East of Eden by mistake, was looking for Exit to Eden. LOL. Duh me. Anyway, it was one of the best mistakes of my life. East of Eden is of my favorite reads from the past.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:45 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,125,598 times
Quote:
Back in the 90's I picked up a copy of East of Eden by mistake, was looking for Exit to Eden. LOL. Duh me. Anyway, it was one of the best mistakes of my life. East of Eden is of my favorite reads from the past.
LOL...I made the opposite mistake a few years back...imagine my surprise!!! I thought the cover didn't look right!!

Old 02-10-2010, 07:37 PM

17,161 posts, read 56,924,654 times
Just reached "part 2" of "Master & Margarita". We read/translate about a page a day. Bulgakov is probably my favorite author by now.

But I still like Pelevin and Euroveev, so don't think I'm getting uppity and only reading classics...

On a recent plane flight I read "Shop Class as Soulcraft". I highly recommend it as well. I'm crap at remembering names so can't recall the author, but if you Google the title you will find him.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,433,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Yesterday I picked up The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and it is a little confusing/hard getting into it.
Stay with it, Miguel's Mom. You will begin to figure it out. I really like Zusak's style, and the voice(s) of his narrator(s). I would have included The Book Thief in a 10th grade Holocaust unit, if I were still teaching. Interesting perspective.

I also recently finished Zusak's I am the Messenger for discussion in a Book Club, and none of us could really agree upon the ending, or all of 'the message.' It was great, too -- having been a HS English teacher, I really enjoyed his 19-year-old protagonist. Such a believable narrator, even if a bit of an odd story.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,433,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Just about everyone I know who has read Larsson's books are mightily impressed with them. They can be a bit difficult to "get in to", however, combination of unfamiliar Swedish customs, names, places, etc., that takes a little while to get used to, and the fact that in Dragon, at least, the character of the main protagnist, Lisbeth Salander, is developed rather slowly. . . once you start getting to know her, however, the facination sets in. By the end of the second book, I was totally "in love" with her!
When I started searching online for Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and discovered it is the first in a trilogy, I couldn't help but wonder why the group chose this work. Does it stand alone?

We chose George Eliot's Middlemarch for April, and I recall how tedious I found it as a college student. Having been married now for 25 years, I think I will see it in an entirely different perspective, and am actually looking forward to tackling it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books